Final Guadalcanal Evacuation Run

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
ijnfleetadmiral

Final Guadalcanal Evacuation Run

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 08 Aug 2023 06:31

What was the Order of Battle for the 7-8 February 1943 evacuation run to Guadalcanal? I know it comprised 18 ships, but I'm missing one. Here's what I have:

SCREEN - SHIRAYUKI, SAMIDARE, OSHIO, ARASHIO, ASAGUMO, KUROSHIO, ISOKAZE, TANIKAZE, HAMAKAZE
TRANSPORT - SATSUKI, FUMIZUKI, YUKIKAZE, TOKITSUKAZE, URAKAZE, AKIGUMO, YUGUMO, KAZAGUMO

What was the eighteenth ship, and how were they divided up (which ones went to Cape Esperance and which ones went to Kamimbo Bay)?

TIA for any info.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

fontessa

Re: Final Guadalcanal Evacuation Run

Post by fontessa » 08 Aug 2023 08:56

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
08 Aug 2023 06:31
What was the Order of Battle for the 7-8 February 1943 evacuation run to Guadalcanal? I know it comprised 18 ships, but I'm missing one. Here's what I have:

SCREEN - SHIRAYUKI, SAMIDARE, OSHIO, ARASHIO, ASAGUMO, KUROSHIO, ISOKAZE, TANIKAZE, HAMAKAZE
TRANSPORT - SATSUKI, FUMIZUKI, YUKIKAZE, TOKITSUKAZE, URAKAZE, AKIGUMO, YUGUMO, KAZAGUMO

What was the eighteenth ship, and how were they divided up (which ones went to Cape Esperance and which ones went to Kamimbo Bay)?

TIA for any info.
According to the Japanese Wiki;

February 1
Esperance Evacuation (RADM HASHIMOTO Shintaro, Commander of the 3rd Torpedo Squadron, Flagship Makinami)
Screen Unit
Makinami (3rd Torpedo Squadron/Flagship of Evacuation Unit)
 1st Division: Maikaze, Kokaze, Kuroshio
 2nd Division: Fumizuki, Shirayuki
Transport Unit (RADM Koyanag Tomiji, Commander 10th Destroyer Division, Flagship Kazagumo)
 10th Destroyer Division: Kazagumo, Makigumo, Yugumo, Akigumo
 17th Destroyer Division: Urakaze, Isokaze, Hamakaze, Tanikaze
Kaminbo Evacuation (CAPT Shoji Kiichiro, Commander of the 16th Destroyer Division)
Screen Unit
 Satsuki, Nagatsuki
Transport Unit
 16th Destroyer Division: Tokitsukaze, Yukikaze
 8th Destroyer Division: Oshio, Arashio

February 4
Esperance Evacuation
Screen Unit
 Shirayuki (Flagship of 3rd Torpedo Squadron), Kuroshio, Asagumo, Samidare, Maikaze, Kawakaze
Transport Unit
 10th Destroyer Division: Kazagumo, Yugumo, Akigumo
 17th Destroyer Division: Tanikaze, Urakaze, Hamakaze, Isokaze
Kaminbo Evacuation
Screen Unit
 Satsuki, Fumizuki, Nagatsuki
Transport Unit
 16th Destroyer Division: Tokitsukaze, Yukikaze

February 7
1st Regiment (Evacuation from Kamimbo, RADM HASHIMOTO Shintaro)
Screen Unit
 1st Division: Shirayuki, Kuroshio
 2nd Division: Asagumo, Satsuki
Transport Unit
 3rd Division: Tokitsukaze, Yukikaze, Satsuki, Fumizuki
2nd Regiment (Evacuation from the Russell Islands, RADM KOYANAGI Tomiji, Commander of the 10th Squadron)
 10th Destroyer Division: Kazagumo (Flagship of the Squadron), Yugumo, Akigumo
 17th Destroyer Division: Tanikaze, Urakaze, Hamakaze, Isokaze
 22nd Destroyer Division: Nagatsuki

fontessa

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 08 Aug 2023 10:04

Exactly what I needed, my friend...thank you very much! :)
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 09 Aug 2023 17:34

How were the soldiers moved from the shore to the destroyers?
They were carried with Daihatsu, Shohatsu, and Type 95 Foldable Boats. Each destroyer of transport units carried 10 95式折畳舟 Type 95 Foldable Boats, two Shohatsu hanged by boat davits for 7.5m lunches, and a Daihatsu towed. As the operators of them, 第3船舶団 the 3rd Shipping Group members also boarded.

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 13 Aug 2023 15:54

fontessa wrote:
09 Aug 2023 17:34
How were the soldiers moved from the shore to the destroyers?
They were carried with Daihatsu, Shohatsu, and Type 95 Foldable Boats. Each destroyer of transport units carried 10 95式折畳舟 Type 95 Foldable Boats, two Shohatsu hanged by boat davits for 7.5m lunches, and a Daihatsu towed. As the operators of them, 第3船舶団 the 3rd Shipping Group members also boarded.

fontessa
Is this the same Type 95? http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/setujo.html -Thx Taki!

-I hadn't realized there is such a large civilian market for folding boats until I searched for the Type 95 boats, very cool. -It only makes sense, much easier to transport and store.

Any other sources for the Type 95 folding/collapsible boats?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 15 Aug 2023 18:42

ShindenKai wrote:
13 Aug 2023 15:54
Any other sources for the Type 95 folding/collapsible boats?
Below is the drawing of a Type95 folding/collapsible boat.
95式折畳舟.jpg

Below is the most important related device, Type95 Light Outboard Motor 95式軽操舟機.
(There were several subtypes.)
95式折畳舟 操舟機.jpg

Google translation of Japanese Wiki regarding 95式折畳舟
Outlime
Type 95 folding/collapsible boat was a boat developed by the Imperial Japanese Army for crossing rivers and landings. It had a folding structure for the convenience of land transportation. Although it did not have a fixed engine, it was possible to equip an outboard motor called 操舟機 Sou-sen-ki.
Structure
This equipment had a two-part assembly structure. The front half (half-shaped boat) was 415 cm long, 145 cm wide, and weighed 98.5 kg, while the rear half (half-shaped boat) was 330 cm long, 145 cm wide, and weighed 101.5 kg. At the time of assembly, they were connected at four points, the upper connecting device 上部連接具 and the lower connecting device 下部連接具. In addition, a total of five girders 舟梁 A 甲 B 乙, and C 丙 were connected to the girders 舟梁受 provided inside the boat as structural members. The buoyancy was 5,280kg. As rowing equipment, a scaffold 櫓 (460 cm long, 12 kg weight) and a rod 棹 (380 cm long, 3 kg weight) were attached. In addition, nets and あかとり (tools for pumping out flooded water) were attached.
Activity
On June 20, 1935, the formalization of this equipment was proposed, and on July 18, the Army Munitions Council 陸軍軍需審議会 passed the provisional formalization. After that, it was used in various places in the Sino-Japanese War and the Pacific War. Sometimes several boats were bundled together and used as gate bridges 門橋 or floating bridges 浮橋 for crossing rivers.
Operation plan in Midway Landing Operation
In the Midway operation, 40 ships were planned to be used when the Ichiki detachment landed at Midway. It was planned to transfer soldiers from a Daihatsu to Type 95 folding/collapsible boats, at the atoll in front of the landing point. This method was devised because it was difficult to break through the atoll or pass through the minefield with a Daihatsu with a deeper draft than a folding boat, while the water depth inside the atoll was 100m (10m?) and it was impossible to cross. However, IJN was defeated in the naval battle, so the landing was not carried out.

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 20 Aug 2023 17:43

fontessa wrote:
15 Aug 2023 18:42
Google translation of Japanese Wiki regarding 95式折畳舟
Outlime
Type 95 folding/collapsible boat was a boat developed by the Imperial Japanese Army for crossing rivers and landings. It had a folding structure for the convenience of land transportation. Although it did not have a fixed engine, it was possible to equip an outboard motor called 操舟機 Sou-sen-ki.
Structure
This equipment had a two-part assembly structure. The front half (half-shaped boat) was 415 cm long, 145 cm wide, and weighed 98.5 kg, while the rear half (half-shaped boat) was 330 cm long, 145 cm wide, and weighed 101.5 kg. At the time of assembly, they were connected at four points, the upper connecting device 上部連接具 and the lower connecting device 下部連接具. In addition, a total of five girders 舟梁 A 甲 B 乙, and C 丙 were connected to the girders 舟梁受 provided inside the boat as structural members. The buoyancy was 5,280kg. As rowing equipment, a scaffold 櫓 (460 cm long, 12 kg weight) and a rod 棹 (380 cm long, 3 kg weight) were attached. In addition, nets and あかとり (tools for pumping out flooded water) were attached.
Activity
On June 20, 1935, the formalization of this equipment was proposed, and on July 18, the Army Munitions Council 陸軍軍需審議会 passed the provisional formalization. After that, it was used in various places in the Sino-Japanese War and the Pacific War. Sometimes several boats were bundled together and used as gate bridges 門橋 or floating bridges 浮橋 for crossing rivers.
Operation plan in Midway Landing Operation
In the Midway operation, 40 ships were planned to be used when the Ichiki detachment landed at Midway. It was planned to transfer soldiers from a Daihatsu to Type 95 folding/collapsible boats, at the atoll in front of the landing point. This method was devised because it was difficult to break through the atoll or pass through the minefield with a Daihatsu with a deeper draft than a folding boat, while the water depth inside the atoll was 100m (10m?) and it was impossible to cross. However, IJN was defeated in the naval battle, so the landing was not carried out.

fontessa
Absolutely excellent, thank you- Fontessa

-I'm curious, is there any mention as to the type materials used to make the Type 95 folding boats? Time to assemble? -I'd guess it only took a few minutes with roughly 6+ people.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 20 Aug 2023 23:53

ShindenKai wrote:
20 Aug 2023 17:43
-I'm curious, is there any mention as to the type materials used to make the Type 95 folding boats? Time to assemble? -I'd guess it only took a few minutes with roughly 6+ people.
The used materials were wood and partially rubber. Type95 folding boat was operated by 3 shipping engineers. I think it took several minutes to extend by 3 shipping engineers.

95式折畳舟 2.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 30 Aug 2023 06:57

fontessa wrote:
20 Aug 2023 23:53
The used materials were wood and partially rubber. Type95 folding boat was operated by 3 shipping engineers. I think it took several minutes to extend by 3 shipping engineers.
fontessa
Very cool, thank you Fontessa. Even less time & people needed than expected.

Any specifics as to which company made either the boat or the engines?

Thank you again.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 30 Aug 2023 07:28

ShindenKai wrote:
30 Aug 2023 06:57
Any specifics as to which company made either the boat or the engines?
Manufacturers
Type 95 Folding/Collapsible Boat 95式折畳舟: Delta Shipyard (Race boat specialty shipyard) デルタ造船所
Type95 Light Outboard Motor 95式軽操舟機: Shoda Aircraft Factory 正田飛行機製作所
(It was difficult to create a mechanism to start the machine quickly and reliably with a single short hemp rope.)

fontessa

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”