Japanese air power in Formosa battles

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Spearfish

Japanese air power in Formosa battles

Post by Spearfish » 30 Aug 2023 12:20

I am interested in Task Force 38's campaign in October 1944 which heralded the landing at Leyte Island in the Philippines.
But can anyone help me understand it by using Japanese sources to provide detailed air order-of-battle and strength returns for the Japanese Army and Navy air formations and units as well as casualties on the ground and in the air?

Eugen Pinak

Re: Japanese air power in Formosa battles

Post by Eugen Pinak » 30 Aug 2023 20:01

Spearfish wrote:
30 Aug 2023 12:20
But can anyone help me understand it by using Japanese sources to provide detailed air order-of-battle and strength returns for the Japanese Army and Navy air formations and units as well as casualties on the ground and in the air?
AFAIK, volumes 36 (IJA) and 37 (IJN) of Senshi Sosho (the final Japanese official history of the Pacific War) are the most detailed sources on this topic, including OOB, strength and losses.
Both are available online on NIDS web site: http://www.nids.mod.go.jp/military_hist ... rossSearch

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 31 Aug 2023 00:27

I have just tried that but I am unable to access the relevant works.

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 31 Aug 2023 13:03

Strange. Works fine for me.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 31 Aug 2023 15:53

Do these work?
Vol.36
http://www.nids.mod.go.jp/military_hist ... ?kanno=036
Vol.37
http://www.nids.mod.go.jp/military_hist ... ?kanno=037

The interesting thing was that the IJAAF 98th Air Regiment was placed under the command of the 762nd Naval Air Group. The 98th Air Regiment used Ki-67 Heavy Bombers as torpedo bombers. After undergoing naval-style torpedo bombing training in the 721st Naval Air Group with a naval lifestyle, the 98th was transferred to the 762nd. This was revolutionary considering the discord between the INA and IJN, which was one of the reasons Japan lost the war.

Ki-67 "Torpedo Bomber"
The plan to convert the Ki-67 heavy bomber into a torpedo bomber was disclosed to Mitsubishi in December 1943, and formal instructions were given in January 1944. The plan was to convert 100 Ki-67s into torpedo bombers, and two Ki-67s, Nos. 17 and 18, were modified and tested at the IJNAF Yokosuka Naval Air Group. As a result, it was decided to install torpedo attack equipment on No. 161 and after. During this time, torpedo bombing and sea navigation training began under naval guidance, and the 7th, 98th, and finally 61st became torpedo bombing regiments.
Ki-67 雷装.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 25 Sep 2023 17:40

I have tried to download both the accounts mentioned by Fontessa in order to run them through translation programmes but without success.
Can anyone advise some-one with little computer knowledge?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 25 Sep 2023 21:45

Spearfish wrote:
25 Sep 2023 17:40
I have tried to download both the accounts mentioned by Fontessa in order to run them through translation programmes but without success.
in order to run them through translation programmes ?
These are image data, so it cannot be applied directly to Google Translate.
Does it open when I click the link?
Unless it is digitized using OCR software, it cannot be applied to Google Translate.
What I can think of is to take a screenshot of each page and convert it to Word using Acrobat Pro. It's terribly troublesome. There may be a more efficient way, but I don't know. Unfortunately, there is no English version of 戦史叢書.

戦史叢書.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 26 Sep 2023 10:29

Fontessa, many thanks for your reply but you lost me a screenshot.
I guess this is the subject which got away.
But many thanks for all your help

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 26 Sep 2023 14:48

Spearfish -

The Japanese Foreign Military Series written 1945-48 has one or two volumes that cover JAAF and JNAF forces on Formosa in fall 1944. This series of 125+ volumes was written directly from the Japanese military records and is very detailed. All were translated into English by the Allied Translator and Interpreter Service (ATIS) and its successors after the war. See website https://j-aircraft.com/ .

There is also a vast hoard of military signals transmitted from Formosa that were intercepted by Allied traffic analysis and crypto analysis people at Nebraska Avenue in WashDC. This collection can be found in NARA's Record Group 38, Orange Library.

The MacArthur Memorial Library in Norfolk/Virginia has a large volume of translated Japanese documents pertaining to the JAAF and JNAF in the Philippines and Formosa in fall 1944.

In sum, you can't find this stuff wrapped in gift paper on your front doorstep..............you have to dig for it.

L. deZ

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 26 Sep 2023 17:47

Larry, when you mention the Japanese Foreign Military Series, are you talking about the Japanese monographs with which I am familiar, as well as a British study? While I wish to dig, and have on many occasions, health issues now prevent me travelling abroad for the foreseeable future. I was really seeking modern Japanese accounts which, I suspect, will correct many errors.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 26 Sep 2023 18:15

Spearfish -

I'm an 85-y-o Vietnam vet with a 100% disability rating whose last research trip was to WashDC in October 2002, so I hear you.

Yes, the FMS series is one and the same. "Modern Japanese accounts" : I think you may find some, but will they be translated into English?

L. deZ.
Long-time member of:
Established in 1967 "to promote historical research in the period of World War II in all its aspects," the World War Two Studies Association, whose original name was the American Committee on the History of the Second World War.

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 28 Sep 2023 09:23

Spearfish wrote:
25 Sep 2023 17:40
How I'm doing it.

A) Quick way:
1.Download entire book,
2. OCR it with ABBYY FineReader or similar "image to text" program,
3. Put text into Word file,
4. Translate it with Google Translate or translation program.

B)Free way:
1.Download entire book,
2. Translate each picture with Google Translate.
You may also first turn the pictures of the whole book into PDF file and than translate it with Google Translate, but I don't know if Google allows for large PDF files.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 28 Sep 2023 12:33

I've been using Finereader since 2007. Give it the impossible and stand back.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”