Ariizumi Ryūnosuke 有泉龍之助

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Kiipu

Ariizumi Ryūnosuke 有泉龍之助

Post by Kiipu » 15 Sep 2023 23:41

Additional members of the Naval General Staff with whom I had interviews (in several cases three or four) were: Captain Ryunosuke Ariizumi, another sub expert;
Prange, Gordon W. At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor. Penguin Books, 1981. The quote above can be found in the “Source Material” on page 823.
Last edited by Kiipu on 15 Sep 2023 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kiipu

Re: Ariizumi Ryūnosuke 有泉龍之助

Post by Kiipu » 15 Sep 2023 23:50

What I find unusual about the postwar 有泉龍之助 (51) interview is that he is considered to have died in August 1945 while onboard the submarine I-401伊号第四百一潜水艦. Can anyone confirm whether he survived the war or not?
Last edited by Kiipu on 16 Sep 2023 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 15 Sep 2023 23:59

He committed suicide aboard I-401 on 29 August 1945 and was posthumously promoted RADM. According to what I've read, his body was sewn up in a flag and dumped overboard through a hatch without the Americans on board noticing.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

cstunts

Post by cstunts » 16 Sep 2023 01:18

His suicide was due to his knowing that he was guilty of serious war crimes, it should be noted.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 16 Sep 2023 03:53

Exactly. He knew if he went back to port aboard I-401, he would be arrested. And with the war crimes he was guilty of, there was little doubt he would've been executed.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 16 Sep 2023 06:39

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
15 Sep 2023 23:59
He committed suicide aboard I-401 on 29 August 1945 and was posthumously promoted RADM.
No, he was not promoted to RADM.

cstunts wrote:
16 Sep 2023 01:18
His suicide was due to his knowing that he was guilty of serious war crimes, it should be noted.
ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
16 Sep 2023 03:53
Exactly. He knew if he went back to port aboard I-401, he would be arrested. And with the war crimes he was guilty of, there was little doubt he would've been executed.
What were his war crimes?
The book below is a record of 400 hours of "Reflection Sessions'' by Army and Navy officers. CAPT Arizumi Ryunosuke was included in this book. That is a shame for the Navy, but I would like to show that in honor of CAPT Arizumi Ryunosuke.
If the "Submarine Incident'' in which the Japanese Navy's submarine force attacked a civilian merchant ship and shot and killed non-combatants was ordered by the Naval General Staff, ADM Shimada Shigetaro, the Commanding Officer of the Naval General Staff, and others would be held responsible for oversight. Therefore, CAPT Arizumi Ryunosuke, who was the Commanding Officer of the 1st Submarine Squadron at the scene and committed suicide on board the ship after the defeat, decided that he had done everything based on his judgment at the scene, and those in the Naval General Staff were exonerated. Actually, CAPT Ariizumi was seen refusing to attack civilians.

The work of the Second Ministry of Demobilization was, of course, to manage demobilization. But another important task was to ensure that JIN's upper management, ADM Shimada was not found guilty in war crimes trials.

NHKスペシャル.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 16 Sep 2023 16:51

fontessa wrote:
16 Sep 2023 06:39
ARIIZUMI assumed command of I-8 on 15 January 1944. From her TROM:

26 March 1944:

Indian Ocean, 600 miles SSW of Colombo. I-8 torpedoes and sinks the 5,787-ton Dutch armed merchant TJISALAK. Survivors are taken aboard the submarine. Ninety-eight crew and passengers are then massacred by swords and clubbing with wrenches. I-8's crew machine-guns the survivors who jump overboard. Of 103 men on board only five survive. They eventually reach a lifeboat and are later picked up by an American freighter.

2 July 1944:

Indian Ocean, 700 miles south of Ceylon. The American "Liberty" ship JEAN NICOLET, carrying war materials for the China/Burma/India theater of war, is en route from Bombay to Sydney. Cdr Ariizumi fires two torpedoes and hits NICOLET on her starboard side. Shortly thereafter she is abandoned. I-8 surfaces and shells the ship, setting her afire. JEAN NICOLET sinks at 3-28S, 74-30W.

I-8 takes 99 survivors aboard. The submarine's crew then searches, binds and questions the POWs. Ariizumi orders NICOLET's master, radio operator and a civilian passenger taken below. Most POWs are beaten, others stabbed, one shot, and some are made to run a gauntlet of crewmen with knives and pipes. In the meantime, I-8 destroys the lifeboats with gunfire. Her radar picks up an aircraft. Ariizumi submerges and leaves the bound Americans on deck to drown. Of NICOLET's 100-man crew, only four survive.

Kiipu

Post by Kiipu » 16 Sep 2023 21:07

fontessa wrote:
CAPT Arizumi Ryunosuke was included in this book.
I am still confused. Professor Prange states he interviewed 有泉龍之助 after the war. Now "fontessa" has a book that seems to indicate that he was interviewed by NHK as well? Is the NHK information about Ariizumi 有泉龍之助 based upon an actual interview, a diary that belonged to him, or an interview with someone who knew him?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 17 Sep 2023 00:52

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
16 Sep 2023 16:51
fontessa wrote:
ARIIZUMI assumed command of I-8 on 15 January 1944. From her TROM:

26 March 1944:

Indian Ocean, 600 miles SSW of Colombo. I-8 torpedoes and sinks the 5,787-ton Dutch armed merchant TJISALAK. Survivors are taken aboard the submarine. Ninety-eight crew and passengers are then massacred by swords and clubbing with wrenches. I-8's crew machine-guns the survivors who jump overboard. Of 103 men on board only five survive. They eventually reach a lifeboat and are later picked up by an American freighter.

2 July 1944:

Indian Ocean, 700 miles south of Ceylon. The American "Liberty" ship JEAN NICOLET, carrying war materials for the China/Burma/India theater of war, is en route from Bombay to Sydney. Cdr Ariizumi fires two torpedoes and hits NICOLET on her starboard side. Shortly thereafter she is abandoned. I-8 surfaces and shells the ship, setting her afire. JEAN NICOLET sinks at 3-28S, 74-30W.

I-8 takes 99 survivors aboard. The submarine's crew then searches, binds, and questions the POWs. Ariizumi orders NICOLET's master, radio operator and a civilian passenger taken below. Most POWs are beaten, others stabbed, one shot, and some are made to run a gauntlet of crewmen with knives and pipes. In the meantime, I-8 destroys the lifeboats with gunfire. Her radar picks up an aircraft. Ariizumi submerges and leaves the bound Americans on deck to drown. Of NICOLET's 100-man crew, only four survive.
In 1944, Germany made a request through diplomatic channels that, "If Japan sinks an Allied merchant ship, we would like her crew to be destroyed as well.'' The background was that no matter how many U.S. and British ships the Germans sank in the Atlantic Ocean with U-boats, it would have no effect because so many new ships would be built. So Germany thought the reduction of the crew was absolutely necessary.
The Navy agreed and issued the order. The submarine commanders did what they were ordered to do. However, even if given an order, such brutality cannot be tolerated.
I have one question;
The Japanese Wiki says that the same two incidents "are said to have occurred." It does not show the source. Do you know the source?

fontessa

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 17 Sep 2023 04:29

Kiipu wrote:
16 Sep 2023 21:07
fontessa wrote:
CAPT Arizumi Ryunosuke was included in this book.
I am still confused. Professor Prange states he interviewed 有泉龍之助 after the war. Now "fontessa" has a book that seems to indicate that he was interviewed by NHK as well? Is the NHK information about Ariizumi 有泉龍之助 based upon an actual interview, a diary that belonged to him, or an interview with someone who knew him?
Sorry for my poor English skills. I meant "CAPT Arizumi Ryunosuke's war crime was included in this book."

fontessa

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 17 Sep 2023 07:53

fontessa wrote:
17 Sep 2023 00:52
Do you know the source?
Not the direct source, no. There is a bibliography page for the sources used to compile the IJN submarine TROMs on combinedfleet.com, so one of the books in that list must be the source. Apologies for not being able to help further.

Kiipu

Post by Kiipu » 17 Sep 2023 17:03

fontessa, thank you for all the help.

The incidents in the Indian Ocean are well documented and beyond the scope of my inquiry. However, the affidavit of Nakahara Jirō 中原次郎 is linked to below for those so interested.
http://www.mansell.com/eo9066/Nakahara.html

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 17 Sep 2023 17:23

Kiipu wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:03
fontessa, thank you for all the help.

The incidents in the Indian Ocean are well documented and beyond the scope of my inquiry. However, the affidavit of Nakahara Jirō 中原次郎 is linked to below for those so interested.
http://www.mansell.com/eo9066/Nakahara.html
Thanks. Very sad.

fontessa

Kiipu

Post by Kiipu » 17 Sep 2023 17:29

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
16 Sep 2023 16:51
Of NICOLET's 100-man crew, only four survive.
大元帥海軍大将 AKA ijnfleetadmiral, is this new math! FYI, see the excerpt from Moore's book. Gotta be careful with those TROMs.
http://www.armed-guard.com/ag87.html

Kiipu

Post by Kiipu » 17 Sep 2023 17:43

fontessa wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:23
Thanks.
I located a copy of the affidavit in Japanese for you.
https://dl.ndl.go.jp/pid/10282254/1/1

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”