14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Car79322
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Sep 2023 18:01
Location: United States

14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Car79322 » 22 Sep 2023 18:52

Hello all,
So I have read quite a bit about Peleliu, and although I have searched, I can not find much about the specific arms of the 14th Division(after arriving) nor too much about the personnel themselves. I have read Last Man Standing, a book about the 1st Marines on Peleliu, but have a few questions.

1. Would the 14th have been completely using the Type 99 rifle as well as Type 99 LMG? I take it for granted they had the Type 92. I am aware of IJA/IJN issues with replacing the 6.5mm weapons.
2. Exactly who was on Peleliu? Some things suggest that it was mostly the 15th infantry with elements of others, with elements of the 59th on Angaur, but, exactly who?
3. Was this division truly “elite” or even “better than most” operating in the Pacific? I have seen this suggested. About how many might have served in China in combat? From what I see, their last combat might have been in 1938, with a lot of time spent in Manchuria.

Any sources that might help I would appreciate. I had hoped to find an ATIS prisoner interrogation report as those are great, but not sure one exists for this unit.
Justin

User avatar
Akira Takizawa
Member
Posts: 3372
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 17:37
Location: Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Akira Takizawa » 23 Sep 2023 01:39

1. Would the 14th have been completely using the Type 99 rifle as well as Type 99 LMG?

Probably so. Basically, weapons were unified in a division.

2. Exactly who was on Peleliu? Some things suggest that it was mostly the 15th infantry with elements of others, with elements of the 59th on Angaur, but, exactly who?

Peleliu

Commander of the Peleliu Defence Force Col. Kunio Nakagawa
2nd Infantry Regiment HQ (242 men)
1st Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)
3rd Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)
2nd Battalion/15th Infantry Regiment (840 men)
14th Division Tank Unit (122 men)
Artillery Battaion/2nd Infantry Regiment (666 men)
Engineer Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (250 men)
Signal Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (180 men)
Supply Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (185 men)
Medical Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (160 men)
A part of Transport Unit/1st Sea Mobile Brigade (86 men)
A part of Signal Unit/14th Division (39 men)
A part of Finance Unit/14th Division (46 men)
A part of Field Hospital/14th Division (117 men)
A part of 23th Water Supply & Purification Unit (37 men)
A part of Palau Branch/3rd Shipping Transport HQ (11 men)

[West District]
2nd Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)

[South District]
3rd Battalion/15th Infantry Regiment (750 men)

[North District]
346th Independent Infantry Battalion (556 men)


3. Was this division truly “elite” or even “better than most” operating in the Pacific?

14th Division was elite division. It achieved a great distinguished service in Russo-Japanese War and in China Incident.


> About how many might have served in China in combat?

Unknown. But, enlisted men were replaced with recruits.

> Any sources that might help I would appreciate. I had hoped to find an ATIS prisoner interrogation report as those are great, but not sure one exists for this unit.

闘魂・ペリリュー島 : ペリリュー・アンガウル両島玉砕記 (原書房・100冊選書 ; 12)
図書 堀江芳孝 著. 原書房, 1967

ペリリュー島玉砕戦―南海の小島七十日の血戦 (光人社NF文庫) 文庫 – 2010/12/1 舩坂 弘

第14師団史―日本陸軍の精鋭  高橋 文雄

Taki

Car79322
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Sep 2023 18:01
Location: United States

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Car79322 » 23 Sep 2023 01:56

Fontessa,
Sadly, no. But I did translate it using google and will type this back to you to affirm I understand what this suggests.
Type "1" Regiment: 2nd and 59th Infantry Regiments
Type "2" Regiment: 15th Infantry
Two battalions of 59th Infantry deployed to Angaur
Two battalions of 2nd Infantry deployed to Peleliu
Type "1" Regiments possessed 6 Type 94 37mm anti tank guns each
The artillery component of the 2nd and 59th Infantry consisted each of either 12 Type 94 mountain guns OR 8 guns field artillery x 4 Type 91 howitzers
The 15th did not deploy, but remained on Palau.

What confuses me is the double listing of "Type 97 cannon" and "Type 97 automatic gun" for the second regiment type. Are these both 20mm anti tank?
Also, I am not sure either as I am new here. Is there a link to the source?
Thank you very much for your answer.
Justin

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4506
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by fontessa » 23 Sep 2023 02:00

Source is
SWPA REPORT
ORGANIZATION OF THE JAPANESE GROUND FORCES
GENERAL HEADQUARTERS SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA MILITARY INTELLIGENCE SECTION, GENERAL STAFF
Created in December 1942 and declassified in January 1971.
米国南西太平洋方面軍総司令部G2(情報)
I got it from an American. I think it's available in the US.

14師団 2.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Car79322
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Sep 2023 18:01
Location: United States

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Car79322 » 23 Sep 2023 02:06

Akira Takizawa wrote:
23 Sep 2023 01:39
1. Would the 14th have been completely using the Type 99 rifle as well as Type 99 LMG?

Probably so. Basically, weapons were unified in a division.

2. Exactly who was on Peleliu? Some things suggest that it was mostly the 15th infantry with elements of others, with elements of the 59th on Angaur, but, exactly who?

Peleliu

Commander of the Peleliu Defence Force Col. Kunio Nakagawa
2nd Infantry Regiment HQ (242 men)
1st Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)
3rd Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)
2nd Battalion/15th Infantry Regiment (840 men)
14th Division Tank Unit (122 men)
Artillery Battaion/2nd Infantry Regiment (666 men)
Engineer Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (250 men)
Signal Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (180 men)
Supply Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (185 men)
Medical Company/2nd Infantry Regiment (160 men)
A part of Transport Unit/1st Sea Mobile Brigade (86 men)
A part of Signal Unit/14th Division (39 men)
A part of Finance Unit/14th Division (46 men)
A part of Field Hospital/14th Division (117 men)
A part of 23th Water Supply & Purification Unit (37 men)
A part of Palau Branch/3rd Shipping Transport HQ (11 men)

[West District]
2nd Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)

[South District]
3rd Battalion/15th Infantry Regiment (750 men)

[North District]
346th Independent Infantry Battalion (556 men)


3. Was this division truly “elite” or even “better than most” operating in the Pacific?

14th Division was elite division. It achieved a great distinguished service in Russo-Japanese War and in China Incident.


> About how many might have served in China in combat?

Unknown. But, enlisted men were replaced with recruits.

> Any sources that might help I would appreciate. I had hoped to find an ATIS prisoner interrogation report as those are great, but not sure one exists for this unit.

闘魂・ペリリュー島 : ペリリュー・アンガウル両島玉砕記 (原書房・100冊選書 ; 12)
図書 堀江芳孝 著. 原書房, 1967

ペリリュー島玉砕戦―南海の小島七十日の血戦 (光人社NF文庫) 文庫 – 2010/12/1 舩坂 弘

第14師団史―日本陸軍の精鋭  高橋 文雄

Taki
Taki,
[West District]
2nd Battalion/2nd Infantry Regiment (635 men)

[South District]
3rd Battalion/15th Infantry Regiment (750 men)

[North District]
346th Independent Infantry Battalion (556 men)
For the above units, were they also present on peleliu from the start? And, just to be sure, the 346th was not part of the 14th?

Also, for the China question, that does make sense, but would it be foolish to say likely a large number of the senior enlisted and most officers from the rank of Captain up had served with the regiment during its experiences in China?
Thank you also for the help and sources.
Justin

User avatar
Akira Takizawa
Member
Posts: 3372
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 17:37
Location: Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Akira Takizawa » 23 Sep 2023 02:44

> For the above units, were they also present on peleliu from the start?

Yes

> And, just to be sure, the 346th was not part of the 14th?

It was not a part of 14th Division, but a part of 53rd Independent Mixed Brigade.

> Also, for the China question, that does make sense, but would it be foolish to say likely a large number of the senior enlisted and most officers from the rank of Captain up had served with the regiment during its experiences in China?

I don't know. There is no such a research as their percentage anywhere.

Taki

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4506
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by fontessa » 23 Sep 2023 02:55

Car79322 wrote:
23 Sep 2023 01:56
Fontessa,
Sadly, no. But I did translate it using google and will type this back to you to affirm I understand what this suggests.
Type "1" Regiment: 2nd and 59th Infantry Regiments
Type "2" Regiment: 15th Infantry
Two battalions of 59th Infantry deployed to Angaur
Two battalions of 2nd Infantry deployed to Peleliu
Type "1" Regiments possessed 6 Type 94 37mm anti tank guns each Yes
The artillery component of the 2nd and 59th Infantry consisted each of either 12 Type 94 mountain guns OR 8 guns field artillery + 4 Type 91 howitzers
The 15th did not deploy, but remained on Palau. Yes with HQ
What confuses me is the double listing of "Type 97 cannon" and "Type 97 automatic gun" for the second regiment type. Are these both 20mm anti tank? See the below.
Also, I am not sure either as I am new here. Is there a link to the source?
Thank you very much for your answer.
Justin
Source is
SWPA REPORT
ORGANIZATION OF THE JAPANESE GROUND FORCES
GENERAL HEADQUARTERS SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA MILITARY INTELLIGENCE SECTION, GENERAL STAFF
Created in December 1942 and declassified in January 1971.
米国南西太平洋方面軍総司令部G2(情報)
Unfortunately, no link in Japan.
I got it from an American in paper form. I think it's available only in the US.

14師団 2.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Car79322
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Sep 2023 18:01
Location: United States

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Car79322 » 23 Sep 2023 03:07

Thank you Taki, for clearing that up. I wanted to make sure the American sources were not exaggerating the 14th Division's reputation as elite the same way as happened with the SNLF. That is the reason for those questions.

And thank you, Fontessa, for your help as well. I will attempt to look into these sources.
Justin

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4506
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by fontessa » 23 Sep 2023 03:20

Sorry about Kanji and poor quality.

14師団 1.jpg

14師団 11.jpg

14師団 12.jpg

14師団 13.jpg

14師団 14.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Car79322
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Sep 2023 18:01
Location: United States

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Car79322 » 23 Sep 2023 22:21

Thank you Fontessa, I will try to locate this source. I do believe that the National Archives near Washington D.C. has it but not online: https://www.archives.gov/research/guide ... s/496.html
And do not worry for the picture quality. A bad picture is better than no picture.

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4506
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by fontessa » 23 Sep 2023 22:50

Car79322 wrote:
23 Sep 2023 22:21
Thank you Fontessa, I will try to locate this source. I do believe that the National Archives near Washington D.C. has it but not online: https://www.archives.gov/research/guide ... s/496.html
And do not worry for the picture quality. A bad picture is better than no picture.
Of my previous post?
Well, these are images that I used on my site a long time ago. Handmade using Excel. Our site also went out of business due to the withdrawal of the provider we had a contract with. If I had continued it, it would have helped for you. . . Due to the confusion when replacing the PC, the original Excel file was also lost somewhere... The picture in my previous post are screenshots of my new PC screen.

These sources are
山下義之 「支那事変太平洋戦争期における師団の編制」 "Organization of Divisions during the China Incident and the Pacific War'' Edited by Yamashita Yoshiyuki
Its original book is only available in a few libraries such as Yasukuni Shrine "Yasukuni Kaiko Bunko".

fontessa

Car79322
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Sep 2023 18:01
Location: United States

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by Car79322 » 24 Sep 2023 06:24

fontessa wrote:
23 Sep 2023 22:50
Car79322 wrote:
23 Sep 2023 22:21
Thank you Fontessa, I will try to locate this source. I do believe that the National Archives near Washington D.C. has it but not online: https://www.archives.gov/research/guide ... s/496.html
And do not worry for the picture quality. A bad picture is better than no picture.
Of my previous post?
Well, these are images that I used on my site a long time ago. Handmade using Excel. Our site also went out of business due to the withdrawal of the provider we had a contract with. If I had continued it, it would have helped for you. . . Due to the confusion when replacing the PC, the original Excel file was also lost somewhere... The picture in my previous post are screenshots of my new PC screen.

These sources are
山下義之 「支那事変太平洋戦争期における師団の編制」 "Organization of Divisions during the China Incident and the Pacific War'' Edited by Yamashita Yoshiyuki
Its original book is only available in a few libraries such as Yasukuni Shrine "Yasukuni Kaiko Bunko".

fontessa
Fontessa,
I now understand. It is indeed sad you were not able to retrieve those files. Also, I have noticed that most decent Japanese WW2 sources(books) were very limited in production and are essentially impossible to find elsewhere. If you find any of your old information about the 14th, please do let me know.

On a side note, I have questions about another unit, would it be against forum rules to start a new thread again so soon? I assume not, but am not fully sure.
Justin

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4506
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: 14th (IJA) Infantry Division on Peleliu-Arms and Personnel

Post by fontessa » 24 Sep 2023 08:48

Car79322 wrote:
24 Sep 2023 06:24
I now understand. It is indeed sad you were not able to retrieve those files. Also, I have noticed that most decent Japanese WW2 sources(books) were very limited in production and are essentially impossible to find elsewhere. If you find any of your old information about the 14th, please do let me know.
I noticed that I can transfer 海洋編制師団 data to you via e-mail. Its data size is under 1,000kB
The divisions with a special organization like the 14th Division were called 海洋編制師団. But these are image data, so cannot be searched. And of course, written in Japanese. Sorry.
If you agree to the above, I will send you my e-mail address via AHF Private Message. Please send your e-mail address to my e-mail address.
Car79322 wrote:
24 Sep 2023 06:24
On a side note, I have questions about another unit, would it be against forum rules to start a new thread again so soon? I assume not, but am not fully sure.
Yes, no problem. Good ruck!

fontessa

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”