IJN Yamato or IJN Musashi?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
fontessa

Re: IJN Yamato or IJN Musashi?

Post by fontessa » 06 Dec 2023 03:19

fontessa wrote:
05 Dec 2023 09:26
BayonetOnAZero wrote:
04 Dec 2023 19:53
Thanks. Helldiver was very powerful. Val could carry only a 250kg bomb, and even Suisei a 500kg. I think Musashi was hit with a 1,600lb AP which was roughly equivalent to IJN 800kg AP. In Pearl Harbor, Kate had to penetrate the horizontal armor of U.S. battleships from an altitude of 3,000 meters to obtain gravity assistance. So the diving Helldiver would not have been able to inflict fatal damage on Musashi.

Another interesting photo. I believe that the armor-piercing bomb that hit turret No.1 was bounced back by the 27 cm thick armor of the turret roof, and then the delay fuse was activated in the air.

武蔵 F.jpg

武蔵 装甲.jpg

fontessa
Some interesting information fontessa. I just thought it failed to penetrate the turret, but didn’t think it actually bounced off the turret.
There may have been an error in my previous post, so I'd like to take that down.

fontessa
I thought She was Musashi when I posted before. But I noticed that the two photos are the same. The photo below was previously posted on this thread and I know it's Yamato. My post was wrong. The photo below is U.S. Navy photo 80-G-325952 and is described as follows:
Battle of the Sibuyan Sea, 24 October 1944: The Japanese battleship Yamato is hit by a bomb near her forward 460mm gun turret, during attacks by U.S. carrier planes as she transited the Sibuyan Sea. This hit did not produce serious damage.
The Japanese record says, "It hit the mantlet of the bomb turret No. 1 of the Franklin aircraft and was bounced back.'' However, it is also true that at Musashi, it is recorded that the first wave of attacks hit the roof of the first turret, but there was no damage to the turret. Both Yamato and Musashi were hit their first turrets, but they bounced back the bomb Similarly.

武蔵 F.jpg

大和 シブヤン海 2.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BayonetOnAZero

Post by BayonetOnAZero » 05 Jan 2024 20:09

I thought She was Musashi when I posted before. But I noticed that the two photos are the same. The photo below was previously posted on this thread and I know it's Yamato. My post was wrong. The photo below is U.S. Navy photo 80-G-325952 and is described as follows:
Battle of the Sibuyan Sea, 24 October 1944: The Japanese battleship Yamato is hit by a bomb near her forward 460mm gun turret, during attacks by U.S. carrier planes as she transited the Sibuyan Sea. This hit did not produce serious damage.
The Japanese record says, "It hit the mantlet of the bomb turret No. 1 of the Franklin aircraft and was bounced back.'' However, it is also true that at Musashi, it is recorded that the first wave of attacks hit the roof of the first turret, but there was no damage to the turret. Both Yamato and Musashi were hit their first turrets, but they bounced back the bomb Similarly.

武蔵 F.jpg

大和 シブヤン海 2.jpg

fontessa
So the YAMATO and MUSASHI had the same thing happen to them? Also would that mean that the photo is more than likely the YAMATO and the original photo posted the MUSASHI?
What has happened has happened, history is history. We must accept and embrace the things that we are passionate about and the atrocities that had been committed. Denying history is an atrocity in itself.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 06 Jan 2024 00:56

BayonetOnAZero wrote:
05 Jan 2024 20:09

fontessa
So the YAMATO and MUSASHI had the same thing happen to them?
Yes. Japanese Wiki says so.

fontessa

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”