Subunits of 18th Infantry Division in China in 1937.

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
marek O.

Subunits of 18th Infantry Division in China in 1937.

Post by marek O. » 27 Oct 2023 12:47

Hello, everybody.
I have 2 questions/requests for You:
One is about non-infantry subunits of 18th Division, or rather their commanding officers in the time of landing in China in November 1937. I need co's of:
18th Mountain Artillery Regiment -
22nd Cavalry Battalion -
12th Engineer Regiment - I have a name of col. Izawa Arata, but I'm not sure of the name
18th Transport Regiment -
Second one is about pictures of two IJA officers. I wonder if You know anyhing more about them then their names in captions under the pictures. I did the translation so they might be wrong.
Thank You in advance.
Marek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Akira Takizawa

Re: Subunits of 18th Infantry Division in China in 1937.

Post by Akira Takizawa » 27 Oct 2023 13:18

> 18th Mountain Artillery Regiment -
In 1937, it was 12th Field Artillery Regiment. The commander was Lt. Col. Asano Suekichi.

> 22nd Cavalry Battalion - Lt. Col. Koike Shoji

> 12th Engineer Regiment - I have a name of col. Izawa Arata, but I'm not sure of the name
It is correct

> 18th Transport Regiment - Col. Kawachi Masumi

> Second one is about pictures of two IJA officers. I wonder if You know anyhing more about them then their names in captions under the pictures. I did the translation so they might be wrong.

The caption of the first photos says 1st Lt. Asahiro and that of the second says Lt. Col. Ichinose. I don't know these officers.

Taki

adachi

Post by adachi » 27 Oct 2023 21:20

The two officer photos come from my Twitter page. I had explained in the tweet the officers are from the 123rd Infantry Regiment. The regimental book they appear in was published in 1940.

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 30 Oct 2023 18:53

Hello, gentlemen.
Thank You for Your help. Both of You.
Taki: It didn't caught my attention, at all, that first two kanji signs in the names of the officers might just be their military ranks.
Adachi: Great Twitter/X account. I found in it some incredible pictures - I have found it by accident and somehow I've lost link to it too.
Could You by any chance provide link to Your account? Please.

And one additional thing. Which version of the unit name is correct: Independent Tankette Company or Independent Armoured Car Company? I've found it in both versions in different sources.
Regards.
Marek

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 31 Oct 2023 01:36

> And one additional thing. Which version of the unit name is correct: Independent Tankette Company or Independent Armoured Car Company? I've found it in both versions in different sources.

It is a problem of translation. In Japanese, it is 独立軽装甲車中隊. 軽装甲車 is literally "light armored car", but it is usually translated as tankette to express the substance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_94_tankette

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 31 Oct 2023 18:51

Thank You Taki for the clarification.
Regards,
Marek

adachi

Post by adachi » 01 Nov 2023 03:29

marek O. wrote:
30 Oct 2023 18:53
Hello, gentlemen.
Thank You for Your help. Both of You.
Taki: It didn't caught my attention, at all, that first two kanji signs in the names of the officers might just be their military ranks.
Adachi: Great Twitter/X account. I found in it some incredible pictures - I have found it by accident and somehow I've lost link to it too.
Could You by any chance provide link to Your account? Please.

And one additional thing. Which version of the unit name is correct: Independent Tankette Company or Independent Armoured Car Company? I've found it in both versions in different sources.
Regards.
Marek
Thank you. My Twitter account is @4dach1
Here is the link for it: https://x.com/4dach1?t=XieBhQDfJyQ57h7e7kqs4w&s=09

Eventually I want to fully digitize all of the printed IJN and IJA albums I have like the one those officers are pictured in but my organization doesn't have the budget for the necessary equipment yet

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”