Reality Check Ki 15

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Brady

Reality Check Ki 15

Post by Brady » 13 Dec 2023 21:57

As we can see below, some references note that the Ki15's did in fact carry Bombs or could, I have seen this on and off for years now, and my understanding was that this was a kamikaze configuration, exclusively.

But was it?

If not then what were the bomb load out options for this aircraft, presumably the C5M's were similarly equipped/capable?

I ask because despite the reference labeling this as a bomber, afik, it was a reconnaissance plane, and as such would almost certainly not be used to carry bombs operationally, but if this again was not the case, that they were used or could of been used in a light bomber role that would of interest to me.

fontessa

Re: Reality Check Ki 15

Post by fontessa » 14 Dec 2023 00:26

Brady wrote:
13 Dec 2023 21:57
As we can see below, some references note that the Ki15's did in fact carry Bombs or could, I have seen this on and off for years now, and my understanding was that this was a kamikaze configuration, exclusively.

But was it?

If not then what were the bomb load out options for this aircraft, presumably the C5M's were similarly equipped/capable?

I ask because despite the reference labeling this as a bomber, afik, it was a reconnaissance plane, and as such would almost certainly not be used to carry bombs operationally, but if this again was not the case, that they were used or could of been used in a light bomber role that would of interest to me.
Ki-15 was categorized 司令部偵察機 - direct English translation was "Headquarter Reconnaissance Aircraft" the same as that of Ki-46. Yes, Ki-15 was a strategic reconnaissance aircraft. So IJA had no intention of hanging bombs on it. Asahi Shimbun Newspaper 朝日新聞社 dispatched 神風号 Kamikaze Go to celebrate the coronation of King George VI in London on May 12, 1937. It was the second prototype K-15 paid off by the Army.

神風号.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brady

Re: Reality Check Ki 15

Post by Brady » 14 Dec 2023 01:05

Ok so those are Kamikaze loads then, presumably?

I don't know off hand if any were expanded in that role?

And as always Thanks

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”