Lunga and the IJN Construction Units

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Brady

Lunga and the IJN Construction Units

Post by Brady » 25 Dec 2023 19:15

I have been over this in the past with some help from Taki, in fact I believe the map below was given to me by him, but I cant locate the original source for this on the Forum, may of been a PM...

The map shows What would become Henderson Field before...it became Henderson field.

Most References Note that the 11th and 13th IJN Construction units were present, but from what I recall that was not exactly correct, or that the Number of men in them was lower than references suggest because the IJN construction units stationed there predated to Established TOE's that came later in the war.

What I am after is:

What Exactly were the Names of the Construction units, and How many men were in them and what equipment did they have, I know ~ 10-15% of them were armed, and I now they had some Equipment Rollers ext, but I am not sure beyond that.

(The Circles denote the radar locations)

Akira Takizawa

Re: Lunga and the IJN Construction Units

Post by Akira Takizawa » 26 Dec 2023 01:59

> What Exactly were the Names of the Construction units,

11th Construction Unit (第11設営隊)and 13th Construction Unit (第13設営隊).

> How many men were in them

11th had 1,350 men and 13th had 1,221 men.

> and what equipment did they have, I know ~ 10-15% of them were armed,

Each unit had approx 180 rifles for guard company. The guard company of 11th Construction Unit had 186 men. The guard company of 13th Construction Unit was the same size, but the exact number of men is unknown.

> I now they had some Equipment Rollers ext, but I am not sure beyond that.

They had road rollers, trucks, cement mixers and handcars. But, most equipment were hand tools like shovel, pick, saw etc.

Taki

Brady

Post by Brady » 26 Dec 2023 07:17

Thank you for that.

Did the men from the guard company also participate in the construction work?

Did the men from the base force unit participate in the construction as well?

I think my assumption is that the base force personnel were probably tasked with placing the various guns and quite possibly the radar and had plenty to do themselves so we’re unlikely to have been directly involved in the clearing operations, I mean the clearing of the jungle to facilitate the construction of the runway and the taxiway And the dispersal area, presumably those tasks fell to the construction units ?

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 26 Dec 2023 07:53

> Did the men from the guard company also participate in the construction work?

No

> Did the men from the base force unit participate in the construction as well?

No

> I mean the clearing of the jungle to facilitate the construction of the runway and the taxiway And the dispersal area, presumably those tasks fell to the construction units ?

Yes

Taki

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”