Manchukuo empire

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
DrG

Post by DrG » 29 Oct 2003, 14:41

joel pacheco wrote:does anyone have photos of the emperor in re-education camp?
any photos of him after being released frm prison?
does anyone have a photo of his chinese wife?
I've done a simple search using Google and I've found these galleries showing Pu Yi also during and after his imprisonement and with his last wife:
http://www.jilin.gov.cn/whg/py-en.htm
http://www.csuchico.edu/~cheinz/syllabi ... itizen.htm

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 29 Oct 2003, 17:30

those were interesting photos, but the source, apparently the chinese gov't is interesting. those sites are not very helpful regarding information. the first site calls the emperor "stupid,cowardly, and timid", and always refers to him a s a"puppet". no pulling punches on that site.

i would still like some biographical information on his "han" chinese wife.

Windward

Post by Windward » 15 Nov 2003, 00:27

michael mills wrote:Are there any ethnic Manchus, the indigenous people of manchuria, still in existence?
Yes. My late grandma was ethnic Manchu who belong to Niuhulu family, one of her ancestor was Empress Ci'An, wife of emperor Xian Feng. You may know that the other wife (concubine or secondary wife more correctly) of him was dowager Ci Xi.
There are around 11 million Manchu in China today. But most of them are half or even one fourth blooded (as me).
The last Empress of China, the Empress Dowager Cixi, also had a Manchu name, Yehenola. Presumably Puyi also had a Manchu name - does anyone know it?
Acturally Yehenola was her family name as my grandma's Niuhulu. Manchu nobles began to use Han names from late 17th century.
The imperial family's Manchurian surname is "Aisin Gioro" in Manchu or "Aixin Jueluo" in Han pronunciation. From Emperor Kang Xi(1654-1722), the fourth emperor, Manchurian emperors use Han names. After Qing Dynasty collapsed 1911, many noble Manchu families were forced to give up their original family names and took Han surnames. Many Aisin Gioros changed their surnames into "Jin" or "Zhao". Niuhulus (means "wolf" in Manchu) changed their surnames into "Lang"(Chinese pronunciation of "wolf" but wrote in other words) or "Niu". And Yehenala become "Ye".
I assume that Puyi and all of the members of the Qing Dynasty thought of themselves as Manchu rather than as Chinese, although they performed the traditional Chinese imperial role. Is it known whether Puyi or any of his entourage spoke the original Manchu language, or did they only speak Chinese? And did the Manchu language have any status in the state of Manchukuo, or was the official language Chinese?
Though they thought they were Manchu, but the last three young emperors of Qing Dynasty (Emperor Tong Zhi, Emperor Guang Xu and Emperor Xuan Tong (Puyi) ) were poor in Manchu. Puyi speak Chinese. He could only speak one Manchu word, "iri" which means "stand up", Qing emperors said to their ministers who get down on their knees.

Manchu language is almost die out today. Only some one thousand old Manchu men who live in Manchurian villages could speak Manchu language now, and they speak local dialect. No one could speak Pekin dialect now. Many young Manchu friends of mine and I could speak a few Manchu words and phrases, as "Bi jaci urgunjimbi" (I'm very glad), "sain"(very well) and I'm still learning. But it's very hard.

Manchu letters. Some alike and actually based on Mongolian alphabet.
I know that the Manchu language is closely related to Chinese, at least in its syntax. Many years ago, when I was still a public servant, I was sent to do a linguistic aptitude test. As part of the test, we were given a text written in Manchu, and asked to make a grammatical analysis of it; we had the text, and a list of all the words in the text with their meanings in English. No doubt the examiners thought that no Australian would have any knowledge of Manchu, and therefore we would be analysing a completely strange language. However, I had previously studied Japanese, so I could immediately recognise that the grammatical structure was the same as Japanese, although the actual words did not appear similar to Japanese words at all. Thus, I was able to do the test very well!
Gome nasai. The Manchu language is far different from Chinese or even Mongolian. It belongs to Tungus family, not the Han-Tibetian family.
Last edited by Windward on 15 Nov 2003, 00:47, edited 3 times in total.

Windward

Post by Windward » 15 Nov 2003, 00:36

joel pacheco wrote:those were interesting photos, but the source, apparently the chinese gov't is interesting. those sites are not very helpful regarding information. the first site calls the emperor "stupid,cowardly, and timid", and always refers to him a s a"puppet". no pulling punches on that site.

Li Shu Xian, born in 1924 and died 1997. She was unwelcome by most people of Aisin Gioro family. Her first husband was an officer of KMT and was executed by CPC in the 1950s. She was a dance hostess before 1949 and was a nurse when she married Pu Yi.

mars

Post by mars » 15 Nov 2003, 01:05

Windward wrote:
joel pacheco wrote:those were interesting photos, but the source, apparently the chinese gov't is interesting. those sites are not very helpful regarding information. the first site calls the emperor "stupid,cowardly, and timid", and always refers to him a s a"puppet". no pulling punches on that site.

Li Shu Xian, born in 1924 and died 1997. She was unwelcome by most people of Aisin Gioro family. Her first husband was an officer of KMT and was executed by CPC in the 1950s. She was a dance hostess before 1949 and was a nurse when she married Pu Yi.
It is interesting indeed, I really want to know your source,because I heard that Li Shu Xian never married before she met Pu Yi, and I believe their matchmaker was a high-ranker CPC official. The main reason why Aisin Gioro family never accepted her was that Li Shu Xian was a civilian woman, there was no "noble" blood in her vein, and after Pu Yi's death in 1967 by cancer, his family blamed her for not taking good care of Pu Yi. As far as I know, they were a good couple and like each other if not love earch other, although Pu Yi could not accompolish a hunsband's duty due to his illness

mars

Post by mars » 15 Nov 2003, 01:24

Actullay Li Shu Xian was only Pu Yi's second "Han" wife, when he was still the "emperor " of Manchou (call him Emperor of his house would be more accurate), one of his wife was Tan Yu Lin, a Manchu girl, (his Empress Wan Rong already fall into disgrace because she had an affair with one of Pu Yi's bodyguard and made thing worse by got caught: she got pregnant and every one in the Pu Yi's court knew that Pu yi had lost his sexual ablility long time ago), Tan Yu Lin may be the only women Pu Yi realy love in his whole life, but she died very suddetnly and Pu Yi suspect Japanese poinsoned her, then his Japanese adiviser tried to persuade him to marry a Japanese women, Pu Yi almost scared to death about this suggession, he believe Japanese wanted to send a spy to his bedroom ! So he hurried to find a chinese "han" girl, Li Yu LIn who come from a civilian family, and married her, however this was not a happy marriage, and they got divorced in early 50's

Windward

Post by Windward » 15 Nov 2003, 10:44

mars wrote:It is interesting indeed, I really want to know your source,because I heard that Li Shu Xian never married before she met Pu Yi
Try google and search Chinese keywords "Lishuxian" "zhangfu" "zhenya".
The main reason why Aisin Gioro family never accepted her was that Li Shu Xian was a civilian woman, there was no "noble" blood in her vein
You are right. But blood was not the most important reason, but her vulgar, meretricious behavior and style of conversation.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 15 Nov 2003, 15:45

Windward wrote:
Gome nasai. The Manchu language is far different from Chinese or even Mongolian. It belongs to Tungus family, not the Han-Tibetian family.

My mistake! I meant to write that the Manchu language is similar to Japanese in its syntax.

Manchu and Japanese are distantly related, being part of a language group that includes Tungusic. Korean is also part of that group.

Many years ago, I and my former wife, a Japanese woman, were visited by a crazy old Hungarian who was endeavouring to prove that Hungarian and Japanese were related!

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 15 Nov 2003, 18:07

i don't really know if the last emperor actually loved or liked his last wife at all. i think he was willing to do whatever the red chinese government wanted him to do.

in the 1980's one of his servants was interviewed by several different foreign journalists. this servant had worked directly for pu yi in manchukuo and had met him on several occasions after pu yi's release from "re-education" camp. his main comment on pu yi was that he was "faking". he was always faking. pu yi was a survivor. he had survived the fall of his empire, the exile from his imperial city, rule of the war lords, the japanese occupation, the japanese defeat, and re-education camp. his personality was all about pleasing his captors. pu yi had never really ever been "free". he was always been dominated by someone. always the puppet. pu yi had learned to play the game better than most anyone else. the servant also desrcibed him as cowardly and spineless.

pu yi allowed people to use him. the manchu nobles, the war lords, the japanese, the americans(at tokyo war crime trials) and finally the red chinese.

but pu yi always survived, while many others did not.

i don't think his "re-education" was successful at all. he was simply playing the game he had played his whole life.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 15 Nov 2003, 18:13

i still have some questions on pu yi's last wife.

how was she treated after pu yi's death? did she live in a small apartment or have a decent house? was her pension very much? did she work after the emperor's death?

what were her final years like? did she ever grant interviews or write about her life with the emperor?

does anyone have a photo of her from the 1990's?

as far as "husbandly duties" go, i've always read that pu yi was a homosexual.

mars

Post by mars » 15 Nov 2003, 20:27

After Pu Yi's death, Li Shu xian lived in their apartment, I do not konw the size of her home, and as Pu Yi's wife, she inheired Pu Yi's property which included the income from Pu Yi's published memory, that was a lot of money in that time, I recalled there was a lawsuite between she and Pu Yi's other family member about Pu Yi's property, and she won. since late 70's, Pu Yi and his life became a "hot" subject in China, there were lot of books, movie and TV programs about Pu Yi, so Li Shu Xian became kind of famous too, she even published a very interested memory about Pu Yis's last years.

mars

Post by mars » 15 Nov 2003, 20:47

Windward wrote:
mars wrote:It is interesting indeed, I really want to know your source,because I heard that Li Shu Xian never married before she met Pu Yi
Try google and search Chinese keywords "Lishuxian" "zhangfu" "zhenya".
The main reason why Aisin Gioro family never accepted her was that Li Shu Xian was a civilian woman, there was no "noble" blood in her vein
You are right. But blood was not the most important reason, but her vulgar, meretricious behavior and style of conversation.
Windward, you are right about Li ShuXian's early marriage, I shall say I do not know that
Abut Li ShuXian's "behavior", I am not surprised since she never received and "noble" education about how to speak and behavie like "high class" Lady, she was just a normal Beijing woman. I shall say that my sympathy is on her side.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 15 Nov 2003, 21:09

in the film, "the last emperor", pu yi met his old prison warden being humiliated by a group of young red gaurds during the cultural revolution. he was even wearing a kind of dunce cap on his head.

did this ever happen in real life? did the emperor actually encounter his old warden with the red guards?

what was the fate of pu yi's re-education camp warden?

mars

Post by mars » 16 Nov 2003, 06:43

Joey,about Pu Yi's real life, the movie "the last Emperor" was a trash, it had totally nothing to do with Pu Yi's life. But, yes Pu Yi indeed ran into trouble in the begging of the Social revolution, and he was publically humilated by some "red guard" , but his situation was not that bad compare to most high rank official, and he was not arrested. I am dout his prison warden could join red guard, he would be lucky to keep himself free.

Windward

Post by Windward » 16 Nov 2003, 08:43

mars wrote:Pu Yi indeed ran into trouble in the begging of the Social revolution, and he was publically humilated by some "red guard"
Among those "Red Guards", there were some young guys of Aisin Gioro family.
I am dout his prison warden could join red guard, he would be lucky to keep himself free.
His prison warden Jin Yuan (金源) did not join the Red Guard, but was humiliated by a group of young red gaurds as Joel mentioned above, for he was high rank officer and the so called "Bao Huang Pai"(royalist, so was the red guards called the communist cadres) or "Zou Zi Pai". They assailed Jin Yuan and inquest him, they said "You were so care about your prisoners and treated those war criminals so well, so how do you explain your behavior if you are not a member of them?"

That's historical fact. I suggest you to read this article (sorry there's only Chinese text):

http://www.shuku.net:8080/novels/histor ... hgl00.html

Jin Yuan survived from the Culture Revolution, released in 1975, moved to Hongkong and wrote his memoir "Strange Lot: A memory of the Superintendent of FUSHUN WAR CRIMINAL ADMINSTRATIVE OFFICE in the late 1990s, the URL above links that book.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”