Kyoto at war

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Lawrence

Kyoto at war

Post by Lawrence » 17 Sep 2003, 21:17

I am curious if anyone could tell me what the city of Kyoto was like during and before the war? I know it remained virtually intact and was not subjected to bombing raids, but was there a highly concentrated Army force there? Being Japan's third largest city, I would think that there would be several military bases there. If anyone could tell me how the city of Kyoto lived these years (1938-1941), such as rationing, entertainment, Army and police presence, I would be very grateful. I know it's an odd topic, but I would be grateful for any information. Regards!

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 18 Sep 2003, 14:02

The first bombing to Kyoto occurred in Jan 16, 1945. In total Kyoto city was bombed five times from January to June 1945. First and fifth bombing caused respectively 40 to 50 casualties to death.
The army base (16th infantry division) and explosive factory were concentrated in the south of Kyoto, but all bombs fell far from that area. Though it is overexaggeration to say Kyoto was never bombed, the damage was relatively little, and in accidental manner.
From May to June 1945 the U.S. considered to target Kyoto by atomic bomb. Some Japanese researchers believe that the U.S. reserved Kyoto as a target for atomic bomb.
I think this view is only halfly true. For Osaka, major air raid BEFORE June 1945 was only once, in March 13, in which about 4,600 people were killed or missing. it was after March 1945 the U.S. air force began to raid populated area in Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka and so on. Until May, U.S. air force was simply busy in bombing larger cities and military targets. After that period, U.S. postponed air raid to candidate cities (Kyoto, Niigata, Kokura and Hiroshima, later also Nagasaki). What if third atomic bomb was ready? My parents were both in Kyoto, so I might be unable to talk to you. Anyway Kyoto survived by chance. Citizens of Kyoto noticed that they were bombed lightly, and rumored that Kyoto was set aside from target because of rich historical assets. Officials were not so optimistic and some streets were broadened with forced move of residents to limit the effect of fire.
Life in Kyoto was similar to those in other cities. My father, born in 1929, helped manifacturing the parts for KI-100 'Shusui' rocket (Japanese version of Me163), and one of my aunt worked in a baloon bomb factory.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » 18 Sep 2003, 16:46

maisov,
Thanks for the reply and information. I was wondering if the Japanese government at the time, promoted Kyoto's value to Japan, being the old capital and holder of many historical treasures of the nation. If so, to what extent? By the way, do you know of any other Military units stationed in Kyoto at the time besides the 16th Division? I assume there was a Kempeitai unit there but were there any Navy units? Perhaps administration or something similar? Thanks in advance for any information you can give. Regards!

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 18 Sep 2003, 17:43

I do not want to go deep into political issue, but many Japanese simply believe the allied reserved Kyoto, Kamakura and Nara. On the contrary, a few books have been published in Japan about this, and examining records of allied countries, especially U.S. they assert the U.S. officers cooly discussed the benefit and the loss. Kyoto is a very good place to demonstrate the power of atomic bomb and it would discourage japanese government to continue the war. On the other hand, to prevail a myth that the U.S. admired the japanese cultural asset would be effective to keep Japanese people on U.S. side in the forthcoming post-war confrontation with Soviet.
I am in doubt that the allied loved Kyoto more than they did Koln Cathedral and Monte-Cassino Church, and as far as I know Japanese government did nothing special to defend historical things in Kyoto.

16th (infantry) division was not in Kyoto; they fought in Philippine. Only 620 of 15,000 man in the 16th division returned to Japan.

Windward

Post by Windward » 18 Sep 2003, 18:49

Hey Kingsley, I suppose the Ise Shinto Shrine might be a more important symbol to the Japanese.

Chinese books said famous and distinguished architect Liang Sicheng suggested US not to destroy Kyoto and Nara, two ancient capitals of Japan, for political, historical and cultural reasons. And USAF adopted his suggestion. Liang and his students draw a special map marking ancient towns, structures and cultural relics which should not be attacked, including the two cities, by the Allied airforces.

Maisov:
I read that some long corridors in Kyoto Palace were teared down for fireproofing, and were rebuild after the war.

Windward

Post by Windward » 18 Sep 2003, 18:53

These corridors I suppose
Attachments
京都御所月华门.jpg
京都御所月华门.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
京都御所回廊.jpg
京都御所回廊.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

Andy

Post by Andy » 18 Sep 2003, 18:59

I believe that some people wanted Kyoto to be nuked but the Secretary of Defense said no because Kyoto is such a great city.

Windward

Post by Windward » 18 Sep 2003, 19:00

icon 6 in the map
Attachments
京都御所.gif
京都御所.gif (73.02 KiB) Viewed 3097 times

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”