Kwantung Army

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
August

Post by August » 08 Dec 2003, 08:11

Windward, what is the Chinese view of Bose? I mean he was pro-China and I have read Chinese officials in India saying nice things about him.

Windward

Post by Windward » 08 Dec 2003, 15:46

August wrote:Windward, what is the Chinese view of Bose? I mean he was pro-China and I have read Chinese officials in India saying nice things about him.
Well, few Chinese people heard Bose except some historians. Generally Chinese view of Bose is kind well, many historical books said he was a fighter for Indian national liberty, an patriot anti-imperialist, and a radical nationalist. And they use neutral words to judge his cooperation with Japanese in WW2.

August

Post by August » 09 Dec 2003, 08:40

Windward, many thanks for the confirmation. Indian have looked upon the Chinese, and Bose just reflected that. It is heartening to note goof-up of 1962 is finally being left behind by both countries now.

When the 'end' came, Bose, with the approval of Japanese, contacted Chinese Communists, Ho Chi Minh and the Russians, as these were the only people who would have backed him in post-1945 world.

In post 1947 period, India had good relations with all of them. The Govt of India never allowed any research into Bose's fate in these countries. Some news came from Russia and China no action was taken. In 1992 onwards, in post glasnost era, some of the Russians spoke. One was (is) a Warsaw pact Major General. He said he saw KGB file of 1948 vintage that said Bose was in Russia.

There is Govt-appointed commission of inquiry headed by a retired Supreme Court judge looking into the disappearance of Bose. They want to go to Russia and China but Govt of India is dragging feet. The commission returned dissatisfied with its Japan visit. Japanese have not done anything wrong. They are not interested in an event of pre-1945 era. There are certain diplomatic and legal complications, e.g. Japan can't say that it helped an "international war criminal" escape when they should have surrenderd him as the British were baying for his blood. Countries do not change their stand unless situation warrants it.

I have no qualm in criticising my Govt, although the present rulers are better off. There is general feeling in India that Bose was stabbed in back and his legacy was sought to be deleted from public memory. They counldnt. When it comes to Bose or his case of disappearance, we dont trust our Govt, which has mostly been run by those who hated Bose.

Having said that, things have never been so favourable as they are now. God willing, next year will be crucial for all those wanting to know the truth.

One question: Have you ever heard of Asia (People's) Liberation Army? Not PLA. Some fantastic stories were heard in India in 1950s about this.

Regards

Windward

Post by Windward » 09 Dec 2003, 16:19

August thanks for your friendly words. My high respect to Ghandi and Bose.

One friend told me perhaps Bose was murdered by Japanese, prevent him from exposing some adverse things against Tenno and Japan, for example the Japanese war crimes in Burma. But he can't adduce any evidence. And some Chinese books said Pu Yi, emperor of Manchukuo, whose arrest may be a result of secret negotiation between Soviet Army and Kwantunggun, as a condition raised by soviets, to accept Japanese surrender pacifically, without mass annihilation.

Regards

Windward

Post by Windward » 09 Dec 2003, 16:23

August wrote:One question: Have you ever heard of Asia (People's) Liberation Army? Not PLA. Some fantastic stories were heard in India in 1950s about this.
No. Would you plese tell me some things about them? Were they sponsored by CPC?

August

Post by August » 10 Dec 2003, 16:20

Windward, thanks for your reply and the information.

One friend told me perhaps Bose was murdered by Japanese, prevent him from exposing some adverse things against Tenno and Japan, for example the Japanese war crimes in Burma.

This bit has to be but wrong. No such thing was ever discussed in intelligene reports, books etc. I have no competence to go into the Japanese war crimes, but would say one thing: Japanese treated Bose very very well. Till date the Japanese war veterns speak highly of him. Bose remained with the Japanese till the end. The above statement could have been true of General Aung Sang, who switched sides, but not Bose.
And some Chinese books said Pu Yi, emperor of Manchukuo, whose arrest may be a result of secret negotiation between Soviet Army and Kwantunggun, as a condition raised by soviets, to accept Japanese surrender pacifically, without mass annihilation.
I have something interesting liked to this, I shall find it fast and put up for your considertion.

Regarding Asian Liberation Army (ALA), I am in the process of verfying/ rejecting certain inputs I have recieved. I will tell you something more in case our communications goes further. ALA was said to be a sort of secret/reserves army backed by China which fought the imperliast forces in SE Asia in Post-WW II. A theory link it to Marshall Liu Po Cheng. I request you to kindly go through it withoug an open mind and see if you add something.

A newsitem was published in "Evening Post" of Kualalumpur (most likely) on 15 May 1970. It said that journalist Micheal Joseph met Clark Clifford, ex-US Defence Secy, on the side lines of Asian and Pacific Conference on Cambodia in Jakarta. Clifford said that the army of Vietcong that was on Cambodian boarder comprised of a full division of Asian Liberation Army. The leadership of this was in the hand of a missing WW II general. Clifford refused to give out the name.

Windward

Post by Windward » 10 Dec 2003, 16:56

Wow, it's out of my mind. I only read that China had backuped some individual forces ie. the communist guerrillas in Burma, Thailand, Malaya, North Borneo and Cambodia from the 1950s to the late 1970s, but there're NO any information or even some single words about ALA and its history in China. Maybe this history was erased in China by CPC. But if there was an "ALA", China has no reason to deny it, for CPC's relationship with Southeast Asia communist parties, guerrillas and civil wars in those countries are well known before. I'll try to find something more.

August

Post by August » 11 Dec 2003, 07:11

Thank you for the interest. It is not a question of any country denying anything. In national interests countries withhold information. It is a standard practice world over. Sometimes disclosure of certain information can upset friendly nations and then also nations keep mum.

For example, can you believe this? Both the Govt of India and UK have refused to declassify some records on Bose. This is on record. They told the commission looking into the case. UK says they wont until 2021 and India says it can't as there would be "widespread reaction" and it will affect 'national interest' and our ties with some "friendly nations". And my Japanese friends still think there is nothing fishy!

PS: I have heard rumours that Marshal Liu Po Cheng was linked with ALA.

Many Thanks

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”