Japanese elite army!

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 19 Sep 2004 15:53

That's an excellent overview of the subject, Jeffrey.

For those wanting more details, especially concerning operations, I think it would be necessary to access Japanese language sources, especially the 102-volume Senshi Sosho series compiled and published by BKS, the War History office of the Japanese Self-Defense Forces in Tokyo. There is a huge amount of detail in these volumes that has never seen the light of day in other languages. Every time I see a few paragraphs or perhaps a page that has been translated from this work I am staggered by the amount of fresh detail that we outside of Japan just don't know about. There are also a few Japanese language histories and memoirs on the subject that would provide additional information. It is truly unfortunate that so little Japanese material has been translated into Western languages. There is also a considerable amount of fresh material in the U.S. National Archives, but it is difficult and very time-consuming to try and ferret out.

Here is a little bit of additional information for you. By the end of the war on 15 August 1945, the troop carrier/airlift component of the Japanese airborne forces had been moved to North Korea. Either this was done to get it out of harms way, or because the airborne/air-landing forces had also been transferred there.

1 Yusō Hikōdan (1st Transport or Troop Carrier Flying Brigade) - Kanko (Hamhŭng), Taikyū? (with elements at Rempo near Hamhŭng, Mitsuyo and Sentoku)
1 Yusō Hikōsentai (1st Transport or Troop Carrier Flying Regiment) - Kanko (Hamhŭng) with Ki-57 TOPSYs
1 Kakkū Hikōrentai (1st Glider Flying Regiment) - Kanko with
Ki-57 TOPSYs, Ki-21 SALLYs and Ku-8 GANDER gliders.

HTH,

Larry

Keltixx

Post by Keltixx » 19 Sep 2004 16:51

Thanks Larry, for both the kind words and the additional info. I know of the archive you mention, wish I read Japanese.

I also enjoyed you other post, did not actually see it before I posted as I was working off line with my reply.

I have a PDF copy of the 01 July 1945 copy of Special Series #32, Japanese Parachute Troops, by the Military Intelligence Service of the War Department. Quite nice. Not sure from where I downloaded it, probably Carlisle's website. If there is interest, will try to identify it. This site

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usamhi/DL/chron.htm

has a lot of nice things to download as PDF files. Including the May 1945 version of the Handbook on German Forces. All free.

Will look for some of my other items as I have a chance and if of interest.

Jeffrey

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 19 Sep 2004 18:15

Very interesting, Jeffrey. I wonder if the Special Series #32, Japanese Parachute Troops, incorporates Pacific ULTRA material? If so, that would make the study of even more value.

I am quite familiar with the U.S. Army Historical Research Center at Carlisle. I went there for the time in 1979 and made good friends with the research librarian, John Slonaker, who has since retired. I returned for a 4th visit just two years ago in October. I found that it had grown from little more than a hole in the wall to a greatly expanded facility with 5 to 10 times the amount of "goodies" than what they had 25 years ago. However, I should note that it is somewhat tedious and difficult to get on to the post since 9/11. The MPs have to go over you and your car with a fine-toothed comb now and this takes some time.

Regarding the free downloads, I will have to hold off on this as I am still a dial-up ISP subscriber. Large files take too long to download. I think I need to get broadband.

Yes, it would be interesting to see anything else you might have time to put up. However, I must confess that my primary interest concerns the transport and glider units that served the Japanese airborne forces.

Regards,

Larry

Keltixx

Post by Keltixx » 19 Sep 2004 20:44

I look forwarding to a fruitful correspondence with you, Larry.

Yes, you need broadband, or at least a good cable modem, to download from there, although the Jap Para booklet is less than five megs. I do not really have broadband here in Romania, but do have a decent cable modem - kind of a super dialup. I let it run all night. :wink:

Did research at Carlisle myself back in the very early '80's, working on the book I mentioned. I am sure it has grown. Still, the old place was kind of neat. I loved wandering through the stacks and just coming across interesting books/pamphlets.

BTW, I usually only get a chance to read, answer, research on the weekends, so if you query me sans answer, not ignoring you.

Regards - Jeffrey

king_nothing

Post by king_nothing » 19 Sep 2004 23:13

king_nothing wrote:On the subject of the Type 97 20mm, anyone have any pictures of it in actual use or maybe a propaganda pose of troops armed with it?
Anyone? I've never actually seen a type 97 even being demonstrated by soldiers who have captured one, must be a very illusive weapon to find a picture of being used.

Zero

Post by Zero » 20 Nov 2004 20:43

wow, this is subject that has interested me a lot as well. and i have done some research awhile back on the subject. (btw i know some japanese ;))

here is some more info on the okinowa attack in 45.

----
"suicide attack squadron"

"justice intense units" - Okuyama party
command section - 10 people
attack party - 126 people

equipment of the command section:
*10 type 94 handguns(one each)
*1 type 99 rifle
*4 type 100 smgs
*2 "two kilometer handle attaching depth charge"
*15 type 99 mines
*2 wireless radios

the attack party had 9 groups of 13 men formations. wich made up 5 platoons. the remaining 9 men were the "independant squad" wich was the "enemy headquarters attack party." of the 13 man groups they were further broken down into teams of: one 4 man team, three 3 man teams.

equipment of the attack group:

1. 4 man team
*3 type 94 handguns
*1 type 99 rifle
*2 type 100 smgs
*2 "two kilometer handle attaching depth charge"
*4 type 99 mine
*2 "One kilometer explosive can"
*2 type 3 AT grenade
*100 "tenaka" type bullets
*15 grenades

2. 3 man team
*2 type 94 handguns
*1 type 99 rifle
*1 type 99 mg
*1 "two kilometer handle attaching depth charge"
*4 type 99 mines
*1 "One kilometer explosive can"
*10 grenades

3. 3 man team
*1 type 94 handgun
*1 type 99 rifle
*1 type 100 smg
*4 type 99 mines
*15 grenades

4. 3 man team
*1 type 94 handgun
*1 type 99 rifle
*1 type 89 mortar
*4 type 99 mines
*1 type 3 AT grenade
*15 grenades

independent 3rd flight squadron

32 flight crew

12 type 97 bombers +4 command support aircraft

fuselage numbers of the planes(type 97s):
1st: 4484
2nd: 4132
3rd: 4156
4th: 6540
5th: 4082
6th: 4138
7th: 6156
8th: 4475
9th: 6547
10th: 6001
11th: 4161
12th: 4307

command support aircraft
----

also some pics(i had some more better ones but i can't find them atm)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”