japanese tiger

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Gott

japanese tiger

Post by Gott » 10 Aug 2002, 13:34

i found a chinese site. they have some info of the japanese interest over the tiger tank. maybe there are other sites that tells japanese tigers but i got this...

http://www.sspanzer.net/zl/Japanese_tig ... _tiger.htm

if you want me to translate it, just simply reply.

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 10 Aug 2002, 16:07

Gott,

My Chinese sucks, but here's a rough translation:

Pic 1: A Japanese officer is inspecting the Tiger's main gun, we can see the degaussing on the armour.

Pic 2: Japanese commander is piloting the Tiger during excercises.

Pic 3: Wanting the Japanese commander to get a better experience of driving the Tiger tank, the German tank trooper is giving the Japanese officer a lesson on the Tiger's performance etc.

Pic 4: Japanese commanders watching the Tiger during fire exercises, the one with the bowed head is looking at the results.

Pic 5: Japanese officer watching the Tiger during military exercieses.

Pic 6: Japanese officers are very interested in the German tank trooper's training exercises. (something about using radio links to communicate with other tanks.)

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Mait

Post by Mait » 11 Aug 2002, 06:01

The German elements in Japanese tanks.

Some historians claim that in 1944 Germans gave a Panther tank to Japanese engineers (I dont know if the tank was transported to Japan or the engineers studied it in Germany). It is possible that the Japanese used the design elements of Panther´s tower in their last tank (Model 5 Chi-Ri). I have also read that it was Tiger tank that was used as one prototype in the designing this tank. Anyway, the tank used a German engine (I only know that it was a BMW gasoline engine of approximately 550-600 hp). And the main gun would have been Japanese copy of German 88mm Flak (but the type used by German Navy - I believe it was called 8.8cm/45 SK C/30 or something like that).

Only one prototype was built and it had no gun installed when the war ended.

Best Regards,

Mait.
Attachments
type5-medium-chiri.jpg
Model 5 Chi-Ri tank
type5-medium-chiri.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 2785 times

Cantankerous

Re: japanese tiger

Post by Cantankerous » 26 May 2020, 22:25

There's info about the Japanese importing a number of Tiger tanks in this book:

Zaloga, Steven (2007). Japanese Tanks 1939–45. New Vanguard. Osprey. ISBN 978-1-84603-091-8.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”