Why did the Japanese accept American occupation so easily?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Anzac

Post by Anzac » 07 Nov 2004 16:02

I wouldn't call it an "American" Occupation....have you heard of the British Commonwealth Occupation Force?...made up of British/Australians/New Zealanders/Scottish and many more nationalites that occupied Japan.
My Grandfather served on the Kokoda Trail, and later on in a War Graves Unit...he helped design and build Lae War Cemetery....and then he was sent to Japan as part of BCOF. The typical Aussie he was(not saying all Aussies are the same)....he was reprimanded for not saluting American General Omar Bradley :wink:
I have photos of his time with the Occupation force....from Tokyo/Kyoto/Nagasaki/Hiroshima and many more.
#RP#

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 07 Nov 2004 16:44

Yes I am a victim of FDR/ Truman propaganda. The Cold War led us to downplay Russia's role in winning World War 2 by attacking Berlin, and that led us to proclaim ourselves the leader of the free world, which only recently actually became true- but the momentum started with FDR. That meant our allies are shortchanged except for the UK. They still get short changed, but not as much as Canada, etc.

All our history books used in schools here in America need to be junked. Any history book that doesn't have the role of Russia against Berlin and ends with D-Day is worthless. Any book that has information on Joseph McCarthy and leaves out the evidence from the KGB files, needs to be junked. Any book that states that FDR ended the depression with government programs needs to be junked. Not a word is actually true.

But that is how I grew up. And was propagandized. So, you are right.

However, the decision to try to stop inflation by dropping the worth of the money was MacArthur's.

red devil

Post by red devil » 10 Dec 2004 16:21

The Japanese concept of defeat was completely alien to their train of thought. Such a possibility was not in their vocabulary. This is one of the reasons that they treated prisoners who surrendered so like an animal. It was beneath contempt to surrender. So, when the Emperor ordered his country to lay down arms, it was as if God himself had spoken to them, it was to, quite literally, surrender everything, even their way of life, to the US Forces. Unconditional, as McArthur put it.

Thats my concept of how I would imagine it did appear to the people of Japan.

e.polis

Post by e.polis » 11 Dec 2004 00:32

How much of Japans involvement in WW2 and the shamefull way Japan conducted the war and lost it, is truthfully taught in their schools, colleges and universities. Or it most of it swept under the carpet and the shame ignored, I also suppose the same question applies to the post war and current teachings in Germany.

red devil

Post by red devil » 11 Dec 2004 10:41

I seem to mention my own site a lot, but as thats my point of reference I am not really "spamming". On my site I have a "disclaimer" that history is in the opinion of the writer and may not necessarily be entirely accurate. I try to get my information from as many sources as possible. The same can be said for the history taught in Japanese schools; german schools, any school really. It all depends on who was the author of their text books. A prime example I would use in the case of Russia is that their history is written, or was written, from the point of view of the Kremlin and need not be even factual. I would suspect that Japanese schools gloss over the brutality factor and concentrate on the empirical expansion on economical grounds. Do we have any members from Japan who could possibly verify this?

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”