Japanese Snipers in WW2

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Mark V

Post by Mark V » 30 Apr 2007, 20:51

Barrett wrote: really good kids, highly motivated. But they think a sling is for carrying the piece; they seldom shoot without a bipod, and they're only allowed to single-load. Many of them had never conducted a live-fire stalk, and not one had ever checked his zero inside 100 meters. The upside is, they're getting excellent support from NRA certified instructors who aren't bound by service policies and bureaucracies.
Nice insight.

In most armies that are training sharp-shooters in numbers for real war (not counter-terrorism, and other policing action) it goes like this:

- concentrating on ranges of 200-500 metres, and all equipment is strictly standard issue calibre, same as GPMGs of that particular army
- ability to shoot from what ever position, really fast on opportunity
- recognition of targets, officers, radio-operators, etc..
- good usage of shelter, manmade or natural, plus camouflage

We mostly hear about special forces accomplishments, with special equipment and special, low threath enviroment. 50-cal weapons are NOT standard equipment.

Mark V

dan_dombret

Re: Japanese Snipers in WW2

Post by dan_dombret » 30 Dec 2009, 17:11

As far as I know, the japanese sniper is well known for their reputation in blending their presence with surrounding environment. They also equipped with special shoes to climb tree. In certain battle (tarawa and makin atoll) they like to shot enemy from above like from coconut tree. Some of them who know English usually pretend to be a wounded US soldier and call for corpsman. When the medic is close enough in their shooting range, they will take him out with patience

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 31 Dec 2009, 12:06

We should divide this question into several pieces.

1. Did anybody in IJA infantry company receive an appointment on paper as a sniper?

No. In IJA system, even assignment of 1st and 2nd lieutenants to a company was not specified on paper. IJA attached them to a regiment (battalion or unit sometimes, anyway the echeron next to division) on paper. Regiment leader assigned him to a company. The rule on the army formation simply said 'at war a company shall be divided into platoons and squads'. Of cource even in peacetime they had formations and appointments in the platoon (say, LMG gunner) but it was in quite informal manner.

2. Did IJA use sniper rifles?

Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_97_sniper_rifle

Type 99 rifle had similar variation with scope.

3. Did IJA officers give a soldier snipe mission?

Approximately yes.

Infantry drill manual in 1940 (歩兵操典) article 122 reads
Shooting shall be conducted at first by LMG, if necessary by LMG and snipers(狙撃手), if situation demands by snipers. Closing the enemy, if increase of firepowere is needed, add weapons as needed.
Note that when increasing the firepower placing too many rifles onwards often hinders frendly heavy weapons and incur fruitless loss before an assault.
Also article 123 says
Usually LMG shall shoot preferrable target among attack (shoot) targets of his squad. Riflemen shall choose relatively distinct target on confronting part. Sniper shall immediately shoot especially preferrable target, such as enemy leader, outpost, automatic weapons coming in sight near attack target. If the squad leader did not deploy LMG, he let sniper shoot preferrable target among attack (shoot) targets of his squad. When squad leader let sniper shoot anything out of attack targets, he choose objects dangerous to the troop or that need to be supressed inmmediately
Infantry drill manual in 1940 (in prewar literary Japanese)
http://www.warbirds.jp/sudo/infantry/souten_index.htm

I think 'sniper' in this article 123 refer to 'marksman' in modern infantry.

4. By the way I know I learned Japanese but I cannot read Infantry drill manual in 1940 at all.

No? Less and less Japanese can read them.

5. Did some soldiers always act as snipers? In other words, Sniper soldier was fixed?

Perhaps yes. Sharpshooter medal (射撃徽章) was given to excellent shooter (about 10% of soldiers) in annual competition. Even if there was no medal bearer in a squad, better shooter in each squad was identified. Perhaps they used scarce rifles with sniper scope.

Of course an isolated soldier might behave as sniper and in retreat some soldier might be ordered to remain as a sniper, as discussed in this thread.

6.How snipers worked in an IJA infantry squad?

I have a book 'Reference for Infantry Training vol.2 squad (歩兵教練の参考 第二巻 分隊)', Edited by army infantry school in 1940. In Ch.3 'Economizing and carrying of ammunition', a finely noted illustration. Summarizing the notes,

The authors (officers in the school) recommended the ammunition the leader and No.1 had 'should be used at last'. No.1 here is a squad subleader.

No.2-No.4 were LMG gunner, bullet feeder and bullet carrier. Japanese LMG used banana magazine only, so No.3 and No.4 were busy in refilling magazines in combat.

Some soldiers, illustrated as two, were snipers (狙撃手). Other squad riflemen shouls pass ammo to snipers if they were in short of ammo.

Comparing with infantry drill manual above, LMG and a few 'snipers' mainly provide the firepower of the squad.

p.s.

Later I hit upon an idea that some old posts here referred to books insisting that IJA troops used LMG as a sniper rifle. On article 122, first attack should be by LMG. If gunner spared bullet to minimum, it looked as if he behaved as a sniper.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 21 Oct 2013, 09:33

From ebay,seller harleyantiques_com

Said to be 1942.

First time I've ever seen a scoped Japanese sniper rifle pic
Attachments
sniper1.jpg

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 21 Oct 2013, 16:56

Peter H,

What rifle is that? It almost looks like an 1903 Springfield? Why would you mount the scope off the center line? Rapid reloading?

Mike

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 21 Oct 2013, 16:58

Delta Tank wrote:Peter H,

What rifle is that? It almost looks like an 1903 Springfield? Why would you mount the scope off the center line? Rapid reloading?

Mike
After looking at the picture some more, I do believe it is a 1903 Springfield, even the sling looks like a US issued sling.

Mike

hchris

Post by hchris » 27 Oct 2013, 12:48

So from what I read here in this thread there were the following sniper rifles and scopes:

Type 38 Rifle 6,5mm with basic 4x scope

Type 97 Rifle 6,5mm with either 2.5x and 4x scopes

Type 99 Rifle 7,7mm with either 2.5x and 4x scopes

Scopes:

Magnificaton 2,5x 10° FOV (no windage or elevation adjustments)

Magnification 4x 7° FOV (no windage or elevation adjustments)

Magnification 4x 7° FOV (with elevation adjustments)

Now the question is, what were those scopes called, what did their reticles look like? Just a simple hairline cross?

t94nambu

Post by t94nambu » 03 Dec 2013, 21:53

yes, there was a type 38 sniper rifle. however, it was only made as a prototype and was never made in larger numbers. the type 97 is the 6.5 caliber sniper rifle and was only issued with a 2.5 power scope. the type 99 sniper rifle was 7.7 caliber and was issued with a larger 4 power scope and was later issued with the remaining store of 2.5 power scopes. the 2.5 power scopes used on the 99 sniper rifles were marked differently and the mounts had to be cut back on the rifle to accept the smaller scope base.

an adjustable 4 power scope was made early on for the 99 sniper rifle but few were made before completely switching over to the fixed 4 power scopes.

the reticles had a range finder and elevation finder in them to make up for the lack of external adjustments. if i can get a pic of the reticles, i will post it here.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”