Oil tankers

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Dili

Re: Oil tankers

Postby Dili » 26 Dec 2017 09:55

I think Giove was a Regia Marina cisterna. Same type as Nettuno

In 1942 Lucania was sunk in an humanitarian mission, as compensation the British let Lavoro get back to Italy

LColombo

Postby LColombo » 03 Jan 2018 09:16

I think Giove was a Regia Marina cisterna. Same type as Nettuno

That's right - indeed, I wrote "(note: owned by the Navy, managed by Cooperativa Garibaldi of Genoa)"

In 1942 Lucania was sunk in an humanitarian mission, as compensation the British let Lavoro get back to Italy

Thanks, I did not know about Lavoro returning to Italy during the war.

Dili

Postby Dili » 04 Jan 2018 15:04

My mistake then i thought that there were 2 Giove. Thanks.

LColombo

Postby LColombo » 06 Jan 2018 01:13

My mistake then i thought that there were 2 Giove.

Only one Giove - whereas there was a case of homonimy that has caused some confusion, the two Prometeos (a civilian tanker that was scuttled in East Africa and a naval oiler that survived the war).

In case you did not know; Cooperativa Garibaldi, based in Genoa, was originally founded in 1918 by Giuseppe Giulietti (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_ ... e_unionist)), a merchant captain and trade unionist, as a shipping company in the form of a workers cooperative. During the 1920s, however, due to hostility from private ship-owners (that had links with the regime) and growing conflict between Giulietti and the Fascist regime, the former fell out of grace and Cooperativa Garibaldi was put, it seems, under partial (or total) State control. In peacetime, the Regia Marina entrusted part of its transports and tankers (such as Enrichetta, Bronte, Tripoli, Ticino, Giove, Brennero etc.) to the Cooperativa Garibaldi, so that, while not being needed for Navy service, they could be used as merchant ships (with Merchant Navy crews) to earn some money. Even in wartime some of them continued to be managed by Cooperativa Garibaldi and manned by (mostly) civilian crews; in fact some of them that were sunk (Enrichetta, Tripoli, Bronte, Ticino, etc.) are listed, for this reason, in “Navi mercantili perdute” rather than “Navi militari perdute”).

Dili

Postby Dili » 06 Jan 2018 21:19

Thanks Lorenzo.

Return to “Economy”