Shipyards of the Major Powers

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
nebelwerferXXX

Re: Shipyards of the Major Powers

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 29 Oct 2010, 07:50

What's the largest shipyard of Germany, Japan and Italy during WW II? Thanks!

mescal

Post by mescal » 29 Oct 2010, 12:44

Well, it really comes down to what you want to measure ...
- the shipyard which commissionned the largest number of vessels ?
- the highest tonnage ?
- the largest manpower pool ?
- the one with the biggest slipway ?

The answer may well be different for each of these criteria...
Olivier

LWD

Post by LWD » 29 Oct 2010, 12:49

nebelwerferXXX wrote:What's the largest shipyard of Germany, Japan and Italy during WW II? Thanks!
There is some information on that earlier in this thread. What do you mean by largest? Most slips, largest in physical size, most capacity in tonnage, most capacity in number of ships, largest slips, or something else?

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 29 Oct 2010, 13:30

LWD wrote:
nebelwerferXXX wrote:What's the largest shipyard of Germany, Japan and Italy during WW II? Thanks!
There is some information on that earlier in this thread. What do you mean by largest? Most slips, largest in physical size, most capacity in tonnage, most capacity in number of ships, largest slips, or something else?
I mean, most capacity in number of ships. By knowing it, I can estimate the tonnage capacity.

LWD

Post by LWD » 29 Oct 2010, 16:55

nebelwerferXXX wrote:
LWD wrote:
I mean, most capacity in number of ships. By knowing it, I can estimate the tonnage capacity.
But in some cases you can build multiple smaller ships in a slip which can handle a large ship on the otherhand you can have bunch of smaller slips that can't handle larger ships. Looks to me like the number you are really after is the maximum theoretical capcity of the ship yard. Another question would be what opertunities for expansion exist. The could be by either building larger slips or additional ones and may have taken place over the period in some yards. The photos/plans of the yards in the other thread may provide a decent estimate of some of this.

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 29 Oct 2010, 18:08

mescal wrote:Well, it really comes down to what you want to measure ...
- the shipyard which commissioned the largest number of vessels ?
- the highest tonnage ?
- the largest manpower pool ?
- the one with the biggest slipway ?

The answer may well be different for each of these criteria...
Hello! Would you mine, If you can kindly give all answers for the 4 questions you enumerated above. Giving an exact data gives a lot of help to me. Thank You in advance!

mescal

Post by mescal » 01 Nov 2010, 17:26

Hello Nebelwerfer,

I do not have the answers to these questions, but to give you some hints :

- highest number of warship built : if one takes u-boat into account, it's a German u-boat yard which is the one you're looking for.
I've not yet processed the data, but a lot can befound here (in German, but the tables are easy to understand)
If you are interested in surface warships and want to exclude u-boats, look at the shipyards that built destroyers (up to 1940, it's Deschimag which had launched the highest number of German DD-sized and above warships - 18 DD & 2 CA)
Another Axis possible contender would be Maizuru Naval Arsenal in Japan. For all DDs between the first Fubuki and the last Tachibana commissioned before the end of war, it built 36 DDs.

- For the highest tonnage, just have a look at the chart I posted above in this thread, and add the smaller warships - which should not alter the picture too much.

- I've no clue for a manpower analysis of Axis shipyards.

- The largest slip is either Elbe 17 at Hamburg (or the Forme-Ecluse Louis Joubert at St Nazaire, which is barely smaller) or one which accomodated one of the 3 Yamatos in Japan.

Overall, note that the choice of the period to investigate is of utmost importance - and also to decide what 'counts' as a shipbuilding activity. For example, do you want to take the rebuilts of the Kongos or not ? And what about the carrier conversions of seaplane tenders ?
That is, before starting such an investigation, you first have to clearly draw the borders of what's under investigation.
Olivier

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 02 Nov 2010, 11:11

mescal wrote:Hello Nebelwerfer,

I do not have the answers to these questions, but to give you some hints :

- highest number of warship built : if one takes u-boat into account, it's a German u-boat yard which is the one you're looking for.
I've not yet processed the data, but a lot can befound here (in German, but the tables are easy to understand)
If you are interested in surface warships and want to exclude u-boats, look at the shipyards that built destroyers (up to 1940, it's Deschimag which had launched the highest number of German DD-sized and above warships - 18 DD & 2 CA)
Another Axis possible contender would be Maizuru Naval Arsenal in Japan. For all DDs between the first Fubuki and the last Tachibana commissioned before the end of war, it built 36 DDs.

- For the highest tonnage, just have a look at the chart I posted above in this thread, and add the smaller warships - which should not alter the picture too much.

- I've no clue for a manpower analysis of Axis shipyards.

- The largest slip is either Elbe 17 at Hamburg (or the Forme-Ecluse Louis Joubert at St. Nazaire, which is barely smaller) or one which accommodated one of the 3 Yamatos in Japan.

Overall, note that the choice of the period to investigate is of utmost importance - and also to decide what 'counts' as a shipbuilding activity. For example, do you want to take the rebuilts of the Kongos or not ? And what about the carrier conversions of seaplane tenders ?
That is, before starting such an investigation, you first have to clearly draw the borders of what's under investigation.
I have a plan already of St. Nazaire of France. The dimensions of Elbe 17 at Hamburg was 1,150 ft x 130 ft.

bsmart

Post by bsmart » 05 Dec 2017, 05:26

I am going to resurrect this old thread and hope some of the original contributers are still around. I am attempting to build a table of Shipyards and building ways/graving docks that were used to build capital ships and fleet carriers of this period. The charts provided in this thread are fantastic but I am looking for a little more detail

1) The main discriminator in building ways/docks is ( I believe) length so I would like to find the length of as many as possible
2) I would like to know if possible the names or identities of the various ways/docks
3) I would appreciate if 'mescal' (I believe he was the author of the tables) could explain the color code he used in the tables as well as providing any updates or additional tables that are available.

Return to “Economy”