German Armament Production

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Pasha
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: 15 Apr 2007 11:44
Location: Russia-Middle East

German Armament Production

Post by Pasha » 16 Jul 2007 20:16

Dear All

does any one know a website which explains in details with timeline the volume of All German Armamenet production -Aircraft Tanks Mortars shells etc during WWII and at the start ! and also the Allied production


Thanks
Pasha

Thanks

Gen. Bradley
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: 30 Nov 2006 16:45
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA

Post by Gen. Bradley » 17 Jul 2007 00:56

Here's one. Though they don't break it down by type:

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/we ... npower.htm

Wikipedia has a more detailed list for German tanks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_arm ... rld_War_II

Art
Forum Staff
Posts: 5561
Joined: 04 Jun 2004 19:49
Location: Moscow, Russia

Post by Art » 17 Jul 2007 09:43

The history of WW2 issued by the Institute of marxism-leninism :D :
http://tashv.nm.ru/12_VtorajaMirovajaVo ... Vojna.html
See also "German weapons and ammunition production":
http://sturmvogel.orbat.com/GermWeapProd.html
German AFVs production:
http://sturmvogel.orbat.com/GermAFVProd.html

Art
Forum Staff
Posts: 5561
Joined: 04 Jun 2004 19:49
Location: Moscow, Russia

Post by Art » 17 Jul 2007 15:35

And there are rather informative tables for German aircraft production on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_air ... rld_War_II

Pasha
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: 15 Apr 2007 11:44
Location: Russia-Middle East

Post by Pasha » 23 Jul 2007 09:55

Thanks Guys
May I add some valuable message
Heinz Guderian " Despite all increase in productivity the limited facility of German industry never succeeded in catchinh up with the vastly expanded requirements of the motorized Wehrmacht and Waffen SS formations and of industry itself Despite all the warrning of the specialists, the supreme comand never imposed limitation to the greed of certain politician powrerful individual "

I guess he means Hitler for first account ; Indeed the German industry was a great Giant and more powerfull in advanced technology than britain and france even together !! but to withstand againest the mass production of USA and Russia is complete mistake !

Jon G.
Member
Posts: 6647
Joined: 17 Feb 2004 01:12
Location: Europe

Post by Jon G. » 23 Jul 2007 12:48

Pasha, I think the 'certain powerful individual' which Guderian is talking about is Göring, who held a powerful position as head of the economic Four Year Plan. Guderian's memoirs are interesting to read, but they aren't the perfect source for the German war productive effort.

The German economy held a larger share of world production in 1938 than the British and French economies did, but put together Britain and France out-produced Germany.

Code: Select all

World Industrial output 1929/1938

USSR........5%/17%

USA........43%/29%

Germany....11%/13%*

UK..........9%/9%

France.....6½%/4½%

Italy.......3%/3%

Japan......2½%/4%

*1938 German figure includes Austria
Also see this thread:

Failure of German industry
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=58571

nebelwerferXXX
Member
Posts: 1256
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: German Armament Production

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 22 Aug 2010 09:29

German Production of Armaments: 1940
2,200 tanks
6,000 heavy artillery and AA guns
10,247 aircraft
15,510 aircraft engines
171,000 automatic weapons
865,000 tons of ammunition

nebelwerferXXX
Member
Posts: 1256
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: German Armament Production

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 22 Aug 2010 10:42

GERMAN INFANTRY WEAPONS:
1) 5,000,000 pistols
2) Kampfpistole signal pistols
3) 2,000,000 sub-machine guns (inc. 250,000 MP 38s and 1,000,000 MP 40s)
4) several millions of standard rifles
5) more than 100,000 assault rifles (inc. 80,000 Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifles and 7,000 FG 42 paratroop rifles)
6) 750,000 MG 42 machine guns

The PANZERS:
1) about 3,000...Panzer Mark I
2) about 3,580...Panzer Mark II
3) 5,644...Panzer Mark III
4) 9,000...Panzer Mark IV
5) 4,814...Panzer Mark V 'Panther'
6) 1,350...Panzer Mark VI 'Tiger'
7) 484... 'King Tiger'
8) 12,000...assault gun
9) 15,000...251-series medium half-tracks

User avatar
bf109 emil
Member
Posts: 3627
Joined: 25 Mar 2008 21:20
Location: Youngstown Alberta Canada

Re: German Armament Production

Post by bf109 emil » 23 Aug 2010 12:06

nebelwerferXXX wrote:GERMAN INFANTRY WEAPONS:
1) 5,000,000 pistols
2) Kampfpistole signal pistols
3) 2,000,000 sub-machine guns (inc. 250,000 MP 38s and 1,000,000 MP 40s)
4) several millions of standard rifles
5) more than 100,000 assault rifles (inc. 80,000 Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifles and 7,000 FG 42 paratroop rifles)
6) 750,000 MG 42 machine guns

The PANZERS:
1) about 3,000...Panzer Mark I
2) about 3,580...Panzer Mark II
3) 5,644...Panzer Mark III
4) 9,000...Panzer Mark IV
5) 4,814...Panzer Mark V 'Panther'
6) 1,350...Panzer Mark VI 'Tiger'
7) 484... 'King Tiger'
8) 12,000...assault gun
9) 15,000...251-series medium half-tracks
lets not forget horse shoes as the German army employed over 6,700,000 horses during 1941-1945

User avatar
bf109 emil
Member
Posts: 3627
Joined: 25 Mar 2008 21:20
Location: Youngstown Alberta Canada

Re: German Armament Production

Post by bf109 emil » 26 Aug 2010 00:40

Pasha wrote:Dear All

does any one know a website which explains in details with timeline the volume of All German Armamenet production -Aircraft Tanks Mortars shells etc during WWII and at the start ! and also the Allied production


Thanks
Pasha

Thanks
German Weapon and Ammunition Production
1 Sep 39-1 Apr 45http://orbat.com/site/sturmvogel/GermWeapProd.html

German AFV Productionhttp://orbat.com/site/sturmvogel/GermAFVProd.html

nebelwerferXXX
Member
Posts: 1256
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: German Armament Production

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 26 Aug 2010 02:10

1940 German infantry weapons production:
---204,672 pistols
---1,293,719 rifles
---125,879 sub machine guns
---56,274 machine guns

User avatar
bf109 emil
Member
Posts: 3627
Joined: 25 Mar 2008 21:20
Location: Youngstown Alberta Canada

Re: German Armament Production

Post by bf109 emil » 26 Aug 2010 05:16

nebelwerferXXX wrote:1940 German infantry weapons production:
---204,672 pistols
---1,293,719 rifles
---125,879 sub machine guns
---56,274 machine guns
lets not forget anti-tank rifles... as the monthly weapons production for 1939-1941 can be found herehttp://orbat.com/site/sturmvogel/GermWe ... ml#monthly

nebelwerferXXX
Member
Posts: 1256
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: German Armament Production

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 26 Aug 2010 08:49

bf109 emil wrote:
nebelwerferXXX wrote:1940 German infantry weapons production:
---204,672 pistols
---1,293,719 rifles
---125,879 sub machine guns
---56,274 machine guns
lets not forget anti-tank rifles... as the monthly weapons production for 1939-1941 can be found herehttp://orbat.com/site/sturmvogel/GermWe ... ml#monthly
I will include it next time, when I will compute again the totals for AT rifles 1940 production...

nebelwerferXXX
Member
Posts: 1256
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: German Armament Production

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 18 Sep 2010 02:28

Summary of total Allied forces 1940 to 1945:
Tanks...210,950
Merchant shipping...44,431,300 tons
Warships...10,853,200 tons
Warplanes...582,500
Total Manpower...109,750,100

Summary of total Axis forces 1940 to 1945:
Tanks...50,400
Merchant shipping...3,792,000 tons
Warships...2,244,200 tons
Warplanes...174,200
Total manpower...61,160,400

The above data shows the comparative summary of both Allied and Axis military production plus also the total manpower. The Allies produced more weapons than the Axis. The ratio of tanks is 1:4.18 in favor of the Allies.

User avatar
Guaporense
Banned
Posts: 1866
Joined: 07 Oct 2009 02:35
Location: USA

Re: German Armament Production

Post by Guaporense » 19 Sep 2010 22:13

bf109 emil wrote:lets not forget horse shoes as the German army employed over 6,700,000 horses during 1941-1945
I think it is 2,7 million horses, not 6,7. The German army never had more than ca 1,2 million horses at the same time.
"In tactics, as in strategy, superiority in numbers is the most common element of victory." - Carl von Clausewitz

Return to “Economy”