French industries under Germans

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
viliusp

French industries under Germans

Post by viliusp » 11 Jun 2014 06:45

Hello all,

I was reading about Louis Renault who died after probable mistreatment in French prison for his/Renault cooperation with Germans. Wikipedia and other common sources says that he ''refused'' to produce tanks for the Wermacht however he did produce trucks. So really that got me thinking what was the level of cooperation between major French industrial players and German occupation (refused to produced tanks?). Did Germans take some of the factories under themselves or did they preferred to operate under commercial contracts and buy the equipment from the French? Was there any major cases were Germans dismantled factories and shipped the equipment to Germany to boost their producers there? What was the level of industrial output? Did the French produced just a few machines to keep Germans happy or was there any enthusiastically industries like Czech Skoda Works who did quite well for the Wermacht? Plus many French designs were quite outdated by the time of occupation were Germans keen to share their designs (tanks/planes/artillery etc.)? or they preferred French to produce whatever was still acceptable from their designs?
Most of these questions affect both occupied parts and Vichy France since I imagine pre-war supply chains were left in both parts.
So if you have some sort of online source please share:) if this question was i asked before please don't be to hard on me :milwink: i am new to the forum.

Vilius

ljadw

Re: French industries under Germans

Post by ljadw » 11 Jun 2014 09:05

Between 1942/1944,the French aircraft industry produced 272 French aircraft and 2078 German aircraft .

For the trucks,there is a thread on this forum started by David Lehman with detailed information .

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 Dec 2014 12:58

If I remember rightly, the Germans looted numerous French machine tools they needed for the expansion of their own production inside the Reich.

The aircraft they contracted in France were, I believe, all non combatant types, such as the Fiesler Storch.

Also from memory, the Germans used a Gnome-Rhone engine in the Hs129 ground attack aircraft.

Cheers,

Sid.

DarthMaur

Post by DarthMaur » 23 Dec 2014 05:07

What was the level of industrial output?
Very low.
Most of these questions affect both occupied parts and Vichy France since I imagine pre-war supply chains were left in both parts.
They were left in neither, actually.

The reason behind both of these thing is that Germany thoroughly looted French raw material stocks, made imports impossible, restricted available resources use both for industry and transportation, since it was deficient in Grossraum in general. All this meant French economy crashed.

There were some attempts at ordering things in French factories, and a bit was made, but it was quite inefficient compared to German industry.

Return to “Economy”