What Neutral/Axis Countries and Occupied Areas were vital for the German War Effort?

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
ForrestIII

What Neutral/Axis Countries and Occupied Areas were vital for the German War Effort?

Post by ForrestIII » 16 Jul 2017, 19:00

As someone very interested in Germany's battles in 1944, I was wondering how the loss of so many economic partners and subjects during the course of the year affected the German Economy. There is the usual example of Romania and its oil, but there are obviously more. I was wondering if my fellow members could go through country by country in Europe and mention what essential contributions if any, each made to Germany?
Logic would be my Lifeblood if I had any. Unfortunately I just have regular blood.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: What Neutral/Axis Countries and Occupied Areas were vital for the German War Effort?

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 16 Jul 2017, 23:29

Some might argue Denmark was important
when it came to food supplies.

Here's one example
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 013.817778

w

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: What Neutral/Axis Countries and Occupied Areas were vital for the German War Effort?

Post by G. Trifkovic » 17 Jul 2017, 13:01

Hi ForrestIII,

here's a link to an old thread on Yugoslavia's contribution:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=75211&hilit=yugosl ... ploitation

Cheers,

G.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 17 Jul 2017, 20:45

Portugal and Spain were important regarding tungsten.

ForrestIII

Post by ForrestIII » 25 Jul 2017, 01:30

G. Trifkovic wrote:Hi ForrestIII,

Cheers,

G.
Hi Trifkovic,

According to that thread, Yugoslavia was Germany's only source of Zinc. If I may ask, where was this Zinc located?
Logic would be my Lifeblood if I had any. Unfortunately I just have regular blood.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 27 Jul 2017, 18:11

ForrestIII wrote:
G. Trifkovic wrote:Hi ForrestIII,

Cheers,

G.
Hi Trifkovic,

According to that thread, Yugoslavia was Germany's only source of Zinc. If I may ask, where was this Zinc located?
Hi ForrestIII,

not sure if that information is correct, Tomasevich at least makes no mention of it. Yugoslav Zinc came mostly from occupied Serbia, some 27,000 tons in all from 1942 to 1944.

Source: Jozo Tomasevich, War and Revolution in Yugoslavia, 1941-1945: Occupation and Collaboration (Stanford, CA: Stanford university Press, 2001), p. 639.

Cheers,

G.

Return to “Economy”