Was WW2 Inevitable?

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Chiddicks

Was WW2 Inevitable?

Post by Chiddicks » 10 Dec 2019 02:56

High not sure if this is posted in the right section, so feel free to re-locate as required.

After the end of WW1 and the Paris was treaty was signed, the league of nations was formed with the basic function of maintaining world peace.

Almost 20 years later and Europe was brought to its knees once more with the atrocities of War.

This isn't an attempt to apportion blame or go over the history books again, as I am sure that there are literally thousands of documented history covering WW2. The point I am trying to make is with the end of WW1 and the division of countries and borders, was WW2 always going to be inevitable?

Did the various periods of depression across Europe, allow for Dictators to take control of countries that they otherwise would not have been able to?

The Spanish Civil War, the invasion of Japan into China and the uprisings in Italy all helped to destabilise Europe. Will we hopefully learn from these past failings?

History should always teach us not to make the same mistakes again............

What do you think? Was WW2 inevitable?

My blog website is here
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2017/11 ... nevitable/

Jordisson

Re: Was WW2 Inevitable?

Post by Jordisson » 25 Jan 2020 01:16

Hi, your question is of utmost importance for today but hard to answer objectively.
My opinion on the subject is that by the time of the October Revolution and the American entry into war, guaranteeing 1) an Entente victory and 2) an uneasy, flawed peace with Germany 3) heavy social tensions in Europe post-WWI, "WWII" was inevitable. I use quotes because while I think a German imperialist war was indeed inevitable, it could have looked quite different from how it did historically, and especially I think that Japanese imperialism and siding with the Axis was avoidable. So a European war mostly.
Did the various periods of depression across Europe, allow for Dictators to take control of countries that they otherwise would not have been able to?
Yes they did. The inability of the various regimes to consistently bring economic prosperity to their people was, and still is, an important factor in the destruction of democracy.
Will we hopefully learn from these past failings?
I think we did! No WWIII between the West and the USSR, no war in Europe overall, pacified Germany... We did learn a thing or two at least.

You can check this thread if you like, it is centered about Hitler rather than WWII but maybe you can find some answers:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=246577#p2247176

OpanaPointer

Re: Was WW2 Inevitable?

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Jan 2020 01:33

Many European countries were tottering on the brink of chaos during the Great Depression. The fact that one of the most effective ones adopted fascism was the turning point, IMNHSO.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Economy”