Cold Viruses

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Globalization41

Re: Cold Viruses

Post by Globalization41 » 15 Feb 2021, 13:06

[Gebhk points out "The problem with surface contacts is how quickly and comprehensively they spread and how long they remain viable even if their unit infection potential is small."] … The experiment Gebhk cited concludes theoretically the virus coats every surface everywhere. But if the virus is not potentially very viral when transferred or inhaled from non-respiratory surfaces, it might at least be good on-the-job training for the immune system defenses. Therefore, seemingly, non-viral surface viruses in combo with mask protection would allow for re-maximizing labor participation for economic purposes. … I saw a visual demo on TV early last year showing droplets fanning outward for several feet from a non-protected sneeze. With a mask the droplets went only a couple of feet.

Globalization41.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 15 Feb 2021, 19:55

With a mask the droplets went only a couple of feet.
You've hit the nail on the head. Masks limit the range, especially of 'projectile' droplets. I'll see if I can find the Covid-related research paper about mask effects.

Globalization41

Cold Viruses

Post by Globalization41 » 15 Feb 2021, 20:56

I'm also still trying to estimate how long the virus remains viral on surfaces or if caught in masks.

Globalization41.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 17 Feb 2021, 19:35

The general trend of surfaces tested seems to be that the more porous and moist the surface, the shorter the virus remains viable. One study found that viable virus could not be recovered from clothing after 2 days. However one study also found that the virus could remain viable on surgical masks for up to a week. Not sure any of that makes any difference to the conclusion that masks should be changed regularly and not re-used.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 21 Feb 2021, 18:00

Hi

Duly locked, until I can be bothered to remove all the non pertinent responses to the thread opener, which is essentially everything.

Regards

Andy H

Return to “Economy”