Cost of living in 1937 Germany

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
marcusio

Cost of living in 1937 Germany

Post by marcusio » 12 Jul 2003, 00:04

Hello,

I am back with more research questions for the forum. This time it is the cost of living in Germany in 1937: what were the prices of items in a typical "basket of goods", such as milk, cheese, bread, cigarettes, etc.? Does anyone know where I could find this information.?

I have found information about wages, but not about prices.

I would be really grateful for any tips or information that you may be able to provide.

Thank you,
Marcus Parmegiani

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 28 Apr 2004, 21:54

you must try with the German Ministery of Economy or Finances or an office of such characteristics. Send a mail to them and i think that they will help you.

taivaansusi

Post by taivaansusi » 02 May 2004, 10:59

And if you get a reply, please post it here so that others could share this information!

varjag

Re: Cost of living in 1937 Germany

Post by varjag » 04 May 2004, 12:47

marcusio wrote:Hello,

I am back with more research questions for the forum. This time it is the cost of living in Germany in 1937: what were the prices of items in a typical "basket of goods", such as milk, cheese, bread, cigarettes, etc.? Does anyone know where I could find this information.?

I have found information about wages, but not about prices.

I would be really grateful for any tips or information that you may be able to provide.

Thank you,
Marcus Parmegiani
Marcus - I have a couple of issues of 'Die Kunst im Deutschen Reich' - Sept & Oct 1939. These are very thick heavy glossy-paper monthlies with a wealth of advertising. Mainly related to art, architecture, home decoration, furniture etc. The 'supplier - adverts' for the New Reichs Chancellery feature prominently....Anyway such classy advertisers rarely state prices BUT there are some that may interest you;

A *** hotel in Weimar; single RM 4.- double RM 8.-
A Sanatorium on the Baltic, full board; RM 8.5o - 12.oo
Memorial book abt. 'liberation of Memel'
NSDAP Publishing, bound half leather RM 3.75
An art-magazine, 'Die Neue Linie' sgle issue RM 1.- (full year 10.5o)
'Sebold ladies Shampoo' - appearently the 'Pantene' for the Valkyries - was RM 1.75 (sml) and 3.25(big) bottle [no bottle size indicated]
Wallpaper; by obviously classy manufacturer RM 0.75 - 2.5o / roll
and last but not least........wait for it
'Ravenklau' cigarettes in metal box of 24 - standard mouthpiece 5 Pf!
....'with golden mouthpiece' - 6Pf!!!!!That's RM 0.05 or 0.06 for a box of cigarettes - who can believe Hitler was against smoking????

Return to “Economy”