A Reinterpretation of the Soviet Industrial Revolution

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Oleg Grigoryev

A Reinterpretation of the Soviet Industrial Revolution

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 01:25

To say that history's greatest economic experiment--Soviet communism--was also its greatest economic failure is to say what many consider obvious. Here, in a startling reinterpretation, Robert Allen argues that the USSR was one of the most successful developing economies of the twentieth century. He reaches this provocative conclusion by recalculating national consumption and using economic, demographic, and computer simulation models to address the "what if" questions central to Soviet history. Moreover, by comparing Soviet performance not only with advanced but with less developed countries, he provides a meaningful context for its evaluation.

Although the Russian economy began to develop in the late nineteenth century based on wheat exports, modern economic growth proved elusive. But growth was rapid from 1928 to the 1970s--due to successful Five Year Plans. Notwithstanding the horrors of Stalinism, the building of heavy industry accelerated growth during the 1930s and raised living standards, especially for the many peasants who moved to cities. A sudden drop in fertility due to the education of women and their employment outside the home also facilitated growth.

While highlighting the previously underemphasized achievements of Soviet planning, Farm to Factory also shows, through methodical analysis set in fluid prose, that Stalin's worst excesses--such as the bloody collectivization of agriculture--did little to spur growth. Economic development stagnated after 1970, as vital resources were diverted to the military and as a Soviet leadership lacking in original thought pursued wasteful investments.
Robert C. Allen is Professor of Economic History at Oxford University and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. He is the author of Enclosure and the Yeoman.

Endorsement:
This well-written book will be quite controversial, finding as it does something good about the Soviet system when all others are saying the opposite. Allen's main conclusions--that the pre-revolutionary economy would not have done well had it been continued, that collectivization was not a disaster, and that there was considerable merit in Stalinist investment strategies--represent a lone voice in the wilderness that needs to be heard."--Paul Gregory, author of The Political Economy of Stalinism and Before Command: The Russian Economy from Emancipation to Stalin

"A magnificent accomplishment. This is a major work of synthetic research, one that will be disputed, debated, and discussed for many years to come. It is a carefully crafted piece of painstaking quantitative research but also a searching and provocative study of one of the most perplexing episodes in European history. Allen's book will be read by anyone--historian, social scientist, political analyst--interested in the deep and complex issues posed by the greatest failed experiment in the history of the human race." --Joel Mokyr, author of The Gifts of Athena and series editor, Princeton Economic History of the Western World
http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/7611.html

link to sample chapters: http://pup.princeton.edu/chapters/s7611.html

Witch-King of Angmar

Re: A Reinterpretation of the Soviet Industrial Revolution

Post by Witch-King of Angmar » 15 Aug 2003, 19:44

oleg wrote:
growth was rapid from 1928 to the 1970s--due to successful Five Year Plans. Notwithstanding the horrors of Stalinism, the building of heavy industry accelerated growth during the 1930s and raised living standards, especially for the many peasants who moved to cities. A sudden drop in fertility due to the education of women and their employment outside the home also facilitated growth.
Emphasis is mine.

I guess our friend here can give more details.

~The Witch King of Angmar

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 19:51

Witch-King of Angmar wrote:
oleg wrote:
growth was rapid from 1928 to the 1970s--due to successful Five Year Plans. Notwithstanding the horrors of Stalinism, the building of heavy industry accelerated growth during the 1930s and raised living standards, especially for the many peasants who moved to cities. A sudden drop in fertility due to the education of women and their employment outside the home also facilitated growth.
Emphasis is mine.

I guess our friend here can give more details.

Universal medical care
powerfull effort in order to better eductaion, and far more realistic chance to get one
for once.. why did not you get a book and see what he means anyway?

Witch-King of Angmar

Post by Witch-King of Angmar » 15 Aug 2003, 19:55

oleg wrote:for once.. why did not you get a book and see what he means anyway?
I expected more details and quotes from the man who claims that Soviet economy was a success.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 19:58

oleg wrote:for once.. why did not you get a book and see what he means anyway?
I expected more details and quotes from the man who claims that Soviet economy was a success.

which are in the book -so like I said, knowlage is the power - go ahead read what he has to say.

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 15 Aug 2003, 20:01

raised living standards, especially for the many peasants who moved to cities
Of course, since the living standart of the peasants due the collectivization was miserable.

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 15 Aug 2003, 20:01

Oleg, I doubt you have read it.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 20:03

Reigo wrote:
raised living standards, especially for the many peasants who moved to cities
Of course, since the living standart of the peasants due the collectivization was miserable.
the were also misrable before the collectivization. anyway Regio these cheap shots, at the book you have not read, really degrade you.

Witch-King of Angmar

Post by Witch-King of Angmar » 15 Aug 2003, 20:05

oleg wrote: the were also misrable before the collectivization. anyway.
Even on Cossack lands?

Last edited by Witch-King of Angmar on 15 Aug 2003, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 15 Aug 2003, 20:06

the were also misrable before the collectivization. anyway Regio these cheap shots, at the book you have not read, really degrade you.
They weren't so miserable. Please not Regio, but Reigo. Get glasses or something.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 20:40

Even on Cossack lands?

you'll be surprised, there were famines before USSR came about, you know.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 20:45

Reigo wrote:
They weren't so miserable. Please not Regio, but Reigo. Get glasses or something.
they were miserable enough, and btw what is with passive-aggressive approach, so I made a typo –like it invalidates whatever I wrote before.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 15 Aug 2003, 21:30

Reigo wrote:Oleg, I doubt you have read it.
I have not - and I am not passing Judgments on it – the original purpose of the post was to make other people aware that such book exists.

Feanor
In memoriam

Post by Feanor » 15 Aug 2003, 21:36

Yes, the great famine of 1911-12 is one example. Not even the Soviets blamed that on Czarism, though. Funny how people tend to blame famines on Stalin though. Perhaps they think he had supernatural powers to control the harvest? :lol: "Grow, you damn wheat, or I'll transplant you to Siberia" :lol:

Witch-King of Angmar

Post by Witch-King of Angmar » 15 Aug 2003, 23:07

oleg wrote:

Even on Cossack lands?

Maybe, but this was not an answer to my emphasized question above(guess this was the Soviet way of being diplomatic).

Return to “Economy”