Nazi Gold

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Alp Guard

Post by Alp Guard » 03 Nov 2006, 12:37

Bronsky wrote:I meant the use of capitals in German, Gold and french. As I wrote, I know it was a typo which is why I mentioned it as funny. If you feel offended, please let me know and I'll edit the message.
Aah. Yes a typo. Shame on me! Sorry!!

should be "gold" and "French" . The meaning is not that I would appreciate gold more than France :wink: , but in german it's written "Gold" and a mixed it up. :oops:

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 04 Nov 2006, 23:44

"It could have remained solvent, but would have had to drastically step down its rearmament."

Yes. I'd guess cutting the social programs would not have been an option. Of course they could have blamed the evil nations surrounding Germany, but I dont know how much of Germanys wealth really went into the social programs.

Tiger Fever

Post by Tiger Fever » 27 Jan 2007, 18:45

I recently watched a documentary on Sky, about Nazi gold. They interviewed a Dental Expert, who stated that Swiss Gold Francs, have a very high content of mercury in them which would suggest that they are made from dental gold.
Attachments
__1.jpg
__1.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 2406 times

Tiger Fever

Post by Tiger Fever » 27 Jan 2007, 18:52

Have a look at this link to.....

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12484

Alp Guard

Post by Alp Guard » 29 Jan 2007, 14:55

Tiger Fever wrote:I recently watched a documentary on Sky, about Nazi gold. They interviewed a Dental Expert, who stated that Swiss Gold Francs, have a very high content of mercury in them which would suggest that they are made from dental gold.
The "dental expert" does not seem to be a monetary expert.

1. There were no goldcoins produced between 1938 and 1946.

2. The gold contained in a coins called "Vreneli" is 999.9 fine. It is impossible to find mercury in gold of this quality.

3. The teeth containing gold were found by the americans after the end of the war. "Melmer Gold". So the gold is not hidden or lost.

Habu

Post by Habu » 01 Feb 2007, 11:14

There are some processes where mercury is used to refine gold. Gold dissolves in mercury, forming an amalgam (hence its use in dentistry); heat is then used to separate the mercury from the gold. The presence of some level of mercury in some alloys isn't surprising.

Finding mercury in modern (20th century) coins would be highly unlikely as the gold is refined to a high level of purity.

aperson

Post by aperson » 15 Dec 2007, 17:49

I know this is an old thread but can someone illuminate me.

Alp Guard mentions: "The teeth containing gold were found by the Americans after the end of the war". An earlier posting talks of findings of gold "teeth found with blood on them"

The accounts I have read regarding the gold teeth torn from the mouths Holocaust victims indicates they were smelted at the camps. I assume this must have been done to obscure their origin to all subsequent handlers. Can anyone comment?

Thanks

Maurice

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 16 Dec 2007, 15:53

I'm not sure what opportunities there remained to sell it on the world market by then.
Bronsky, I've just noticed your old comment on this. This answer is, of course - it was Nazi Germany's link to the outside world markets VIA Switzerland that allowed her to sell on the world market. It wasn't "Germany" that was selling, it was "Switzerland". Similar to buying in war materiel via Switzerland as part of Operation Bernhard.

Rgearding the question about British gold stocks - these were transferred to the US on the outbreak of war, it being THIS gold that funded armaments purchases in the US. It was when THIS ran out that Lease-Lend became necessary, trading the use of British Carribean naval facilities for already-ordered war materiel

South

Post by South » 16 Dec 2007, 23:32

Good afternoon Phylo ,

Actually, there were 2 seperate programs, the "Destroyer Deal" of 2 Sep 40 and Lend-Lease of 11 March 41.

The "Destroyer Deal" also traded bases in Newfoundland, Canada...scenery = to the Caribbean but colder.

The US rights to air and naval bases in Newfoundland and Bermuda were "technically" not part of the trade of bases for US destroyers but considered "gifts" . ...I'm just getting very technical and accurate as to what the agreements generated...

Warm regards,

Bob

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 17 Dec 2007, 00:32

Yes, the "gifts" idea was mooted because Congress had come hard on FDR and a USN admiral - Ernie King? but I could be wrong, just guessing 'cos it was his king of Anglophobic comment LMAO - had testified that they were "still considered necessary to the defence of the United States" so couldn't be "sold" LOL

Bronsky

Post by Bronsky » 17 Dec 2007, 17:08

phylo_roadking wrote:
I'm not sure what opportunities there remained to sell it on the world market by then.
Bronsky, I've just noticed your old comment on this. This answer is, of course - it was Nazi Germany's link to the outside world markets VIA Switzerland that allowed her to sell on the world market. It wasn't "Germany" that was selling, it was "Switzerland". Similar to buying in war materiel via Switzerland as part of Operation Bernhard.
I'm afraid you missed my question. My question wasn't *how* the Germans managed to sell gold on the world market, but how they could still do it in mid-1943.

By then, Switzerland didn't have all that much contact with the greater world. It was entirely surrounded with German-controlled territory, and export shipping from Marseilles (the normal trade route) was no longer an option until the Allies had restored a link a year later.

As part of the blockade policy, Swiss exports and imports were carefully monitored as were Spanish and Portuguese trade, so there seems to be no obvious way for the Germans to *buy* anything on the world market by that time.

Obviously, the gold would still be useful, either as bounty to be kept for later, or to pay off some of the huge trade deficits that Germany ran with every other of its (European) trade partners, e.g. making a nice down payment from time to time might encourage the Spaniards or Swedes to extend credit for a while longer.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 17 Dec 2007, 18:11

The purchasing side of Bernhard using both gold and counterfeit currency is only now coming to light. I talked about Switzerland, as the currency in gold or notes crossed the border into there; materiel was purchased both there but mostly in Sweden. Successful transport from Sweden etc. AFTER purchase was the German's problem LMAO. Also AFAIK Swiss "imports" WERE monitored, but not limited. By law they couldn't be. But the actual nuts and bones of bulk transport would indeed have been more of an issue...but with chromium, tungsten etc. rapidly being in VERY short supply, anything that got through mattered.

Return to “Economy”