Photos of unknown rockets or rocket like-projectiles

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
T. A. Gardner

Photos of unknown rockets or rocket like-projectiles

Post by T. A. Gardner » 22 Feb 2021, 23:23

Any ideas on any of that? I can't say I've seen any of the stuff in the foreground before. Open images in new tab please.

Grzesio

Re: Photos of unknown rockets or rocket like-projectiles

Post by Grzesio » 23 Feb 2021, 10:45

The photos are said to be taken in Unterluess, also a Rheinmetall testing facility.
Well, there are two depth charges (one apparently rocket propelled minus its engine), a PC 500 RS engine, a PD 500 armour piercing bomb, a small size model of a Hs 293 C warhead, a couple of airdropped bombs and rocket bomb engines... Generally all these projectiles with long tails seem to be intended for testing water entry characteristics - they were to be launched from a barrel right into the water.

veeteetee

Post by veeteetee » 23 Feb 2021, 14:10

Opening an image in new tab results in "You must be logged-in to do that". Thank you, but no thank you.

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 23 Feb 2021, 16:59

Thank you Grzesio.

Zünder

Post by Zünder » 23 Feb 2021, 19:19

Is it possible to upload the pictures here ? I'd very much like to see them.

Zünder,

www.wk2ammo.com

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 24 Feb 2021, 05:03

wimve

Post by wimve » 24 Feb 2021, 14:53

hhhm, I copied the location from that forum:

and

I hope these are the pictures mentioned.
Thanks,

Wim
www.petromax.nl
3D : http://www.petromax.nl/Hanstholm.html
http://www.petromax.nl/DeBeer.html

Zünder

Post by Zünder » 24 Feb 2021, 21:06

@Wimve: dank je, stukken beter zo.

I think Greszio is right, these are taken at Unterlüss.
There is a CIOS that describes some of these finds, "CIOS XXVII-35 Visit to Rheinmetall-Borsic A.G. Werk Unterluss", although i think many of these bombs remained unidentified in the report.
I agree with Greszio on the two depth charges, the PC 500 RS engine and the PD 500 missing it's tail.
I think the "Hs 293 C warhead" was experimental concrete piercing bomb used for testing, i'm sure i've seen a drawing, will sift through my archives and try to locate it.
I also see a Röchling concrete piercing shell, without front and back support ring and without it's sabot.
Judging by the size it's most likely a 34 cm Rö.Gr. 42 Be.

Great pictures, hopefully there are more and in higher resolution.

Zünder,

www.wk2ammo.com

Grzesio

Post by Grzesio » 25 Feb 2021, 10:45

Just these two pictures have been circulating on the internet for some time, allegedly taken privately by an Allied soldier (British, as I remember correctly?).
Zünder wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 21:06
I think the "Hs 293 C warhead" was experimental concrete piercing bomb used for testing, i'm sure i've seen a drawing, will sift through my archives and try to locate it.
I think, it clearly is a model (some 1:2 to 1:3 scale) of a longer variant of a Hs 293 C warhead, intended for Hs 293 C-2 to C-4. It just differs with a slightly shorter spike (some 40 mm difference in natural size), larger diameter and length of the bottleneck butt (what can by caused by the need of fixing the tail boom) and lack of the stabilizing collar. Otherwise, it fits perfectly as far as shape and proportions are concerned, including the Kopfring placement - see the comparison of the Hs 293 C-4 warhead and the photo of this projectile below. :)
BTy_2019_12_19-BTUntModel.jpg

Zünder

Post by Zünder » 06 Mar 2021, 20:02

I finally found the drawing, here is a scan.
I also managed to find a copy of "CIOS XXVII-35 Visit to Rheinmetall-Borsic A.G. Werk Unterluss", it is however incomplete at least 50 pages are missing, so the hunt continues on that one.

Zünder.
Attachments
Ub Unterluss.jpg

Grzesio

Post by Grzesio » 07 Mar 2021, 15:28

Great! :O
The problem is, this "Uebungsbombe" perfectly matches the Hs 293 C warhead, this time together with the stabilizing collar. Even the bomb fuze is marked in the correct location (compare it with my side view drawing above).
As far, as I know, BTs displayed good results of penetration of soft soil, but could the Henschel's EB or WLK be adapted as concrete piercing bombs? I think, the Unterluess personnel interrogated by the CIOS mission just did not know, what the bomb actually was and only expressed their suspicions.

Germans were conducting water entry tests launching such model projectiles from a barrel launcher into the water - I've seen a photo of such an installation.

the Rocketman

Post by the Rocketman » 28 Jul 2021, 14:14

Hi

I don't know why there is a A4 rocket at Rheinmetall-Borsic A.G. Werk Unterluss" they had nothing to do with the A-4.
Looking at the photo this A4 is put together from diferend found rocket parts
Warhead , instruments bay area, two diferend parts of the main (tank) fuselage and the tailpart found some ware in Germany.
At Secretprojects there is a comment on the nose of the warhead, there is nothing wrong there just the igniter part is missing.

Also mentioned parts of the Rheinbote wel there are no parts of that rocket visable on the photo's.

If posible I'm interested in a copy of "CIOS XXVII-35 Visit to Rheinmetall-Borsic A.G. Werk Unterluss" for my research on A4 and the Rheinbote.

With kind regards

Bert

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”