The "Destroyed bunkers" thread

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
20P7

Post by 20P7 » 18 Sep 2007 15:56

Hello Jack,

a friend of mine and me will travel to the AW in the netherlands this saturday and sunday. Do you think on saturday there will be some remains left of the R 703? How quick is the destruction progress?

Greetings

Daniel

ducatim901

Post by ducatim901 » 19 Sep 2007 07:06

Well Daniel,
It seems the 703 was already visible at the end of May 2007, but never heard
about it, a friend of mine mailed me but i never got the mail.......:-((
There are two 703 at the highway A12 standing on eitherside of the way.
One is visible and being destroyed at the moment, the other one will probably
stay and because the bridge will be removed and placed somewhere else it
will be visible again!!!
The bunker will be destroyed because the A12 wil be widened.
At the moment only a part of the sidewall and a bit of the floor is visible but
not really recognisable.
When you come from Arnhem it is the first bridge where they are working on.
I think you will see some debry when you visit the 703 on Saturday.
Where are you going when you visit the Netherlands??
Greetings Jack.

20P7

Post by 20P7 » 19 Sep 2007 08:25

Hello Jack,

thanks for this information, so after the deconstructionwork is finished the result will be 1 x R 703 gone and 1 x R 703 visible again after years where it was burried. So we will have a close look at this first bridge (we are comming from germany). Actually we are going to search for different bunkers and obstacles all around the netherlands. For example R 608 in Haren at the Rijksstraatweg, some R 703 in the northern part of the Pantherstellung (around Hoevelaken, Nijkerkerveen, Nijkerk), near Warnsveld (northeast of Arnheim) there shall be two R 621 (former HQ of an SS unit), unfinished communication bunker of the Reichspost near Arnheim, on the airfield Deelen a small commandpost, north of Zwolle the remains of a Panzermauer running over a dijke and along the coast some areas like MKB Nordwijk, at airfield Schouwen the command post and on Goeree the dugged out position with the R 501 and its surrounding emplacements. Do you have detailed information with descriptions of the exact location of the bunkers in Haren, Warnsfeld and Arnheim?

Greetings

Daniel

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 19 Sep 2007 18:17

on http://www.stahlbeton.nl you can download a KMZ file which has all these bunkers marked down.

regards

20P7

Post by 20P7 » 20 Sep 2007 07:39

Hello Nectar,

I tried to follow the description what to do to see the marked bunkers but actually nothing works at all. I downloaded the datas and normally I'm also able to use google earth, but no chance with this (for my PC completely unknwon) datas.

Is there any chance to see those images in a normal, standard way or to get via another standard data?

Greetings

Daniel

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 21 Sep 2007 16:19

we are working on a update which also shows the pictures on the site. But this takes a lot of time to realise so probably in about a half year we are able to do so.

have you tried downloading the KMZ file and then opening it? here is a direct link to the file, just right-click and save file as.

http://www.stahlbeton.nl/stahlbeton.kmz

can you please report your error to info@stahlbeton.nl so we can do something about it?

20P7

Post by 20P7 » 25 Sep 2007 11:57

Hello Jack,

here is a picture that shows the status of the R 703 in Veenendaal as it was on sunday afternoon.

Hello Nectar,

thanks for your explanation. I will try to download the file directly.

Greetings

Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MountainMan

Post by MountainMan » 24 Oct 2007 22:42

This is the saddest section of the forum.

While I realize that progress sometimes demands removing things, these structures are a part of one of the most important parts of the history of Europe.

I wonder how soon the various governments will decide to destroy all the castles in order to make room for developments. Castles are, after all, nothing more than the "bunkers" of medieval times. Probably should destroy those old, hostoric buildings every nation seems to have, as well. After all, new buildings, endless rows of appartment blocks, shopping malls and parking lots are so much better...aren't they?

There will soon be generations of people who have no idea what the words "Second World War" even mean, and that will be even sadder.

S_haule

Bunker destruction in Le Havre Harbour

Post by S_haule » 10 Nov 2007 21:40

Dear Bunkerfriends,

An other bad new : a bunker situated in "Forme de l'Eure" in Le Havre Harbour is being desmolished since few days : it is a Regelbau M 168 Unterstand fur 50 Mann.

Regards,

Sébastien
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

artie in miami

I think I know what the plank-looking things are !!

Post by artie in miami » 16 Nov 2007 02:24

I am not positive, but I am willing to bet (based on my previous experience with construction) that those are "blast fences". Whenever a building is being demolished, and there is danger of flying pieces...they cover it with either planks or old car tires woven into a mat. It is a safety thing that they do...so the workers won't get hurt when the explosives go off...it contains the shrapnel !!

artie in miami

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 17 Nov 2007 02:00

MountainMan wrote:This is the saddest section of the forum.

While I realize that progress sometimes demands removing things, these structures are a part of one of the most important parts of the history of Europe.

I wonder how soon the various governments will decide to destroy all the castles in order to make room for developments. Castles are, after all, nothing more than the "bunkers" of medieval times. Probably should destroy those old, hostoric buildings every nation seems to have, as well. After all, new buildings, endless rows of appartment blocks, shopping malls and parking lots are so much better...aren't they?

There will soon be generations of people who have no idea what the words "Second World War" even mean, and that will be even sadder.

Amen! It's going on all over Europe. In parts of Bavaria, particularly, the government seems dead set on destroying any vestige of the Third Reich (Obersalzberg, for example). It's a crying shame that when historians of the future realize this was a BAD idea, it will be way too late! :x

Geoff Walden

20P7

Post by 20P7 » 26 Nov 2007 22:40

Hello guys,

here are some more bad news from the Südwall.

At HKB Tamarissiere east of Cap D'Agde the flanking R 612, which was allready only a blown up ruin, has been demolished completely this autumn.

Thanks to Mr. Zebralla, who shot this sad but true picture!

Bye

Daniel

20P7

Post by 20P7 » 26 Nov 2007 22:53

Maybe you didn't notice before, but there are some more bad news from the Südwall:

http://sudwall.superforum.fr/languedoc- ... -t1501.htm

This time they cracked the completely intact R 680 at WN LGN 027 Portiragnes Plage.

Please find the picture below and see how this one looked until its end.

Daniel

starcom

Post by starcom » 10 Dec 2007 11:52

Type: radiocenter or comander grup armes "Nord" 1941-1944 (Передающий радиоцентр штаба группы армий "Север" 1941-1944)
When: in winter 2006/2007
Why: privet divelopment
Foto 1 - 1946
Foto 2-3 - 2007

More foto: http://www.fortification.ru/forum/index ... 220&page=1

starcom

Post by starcom » 10 Dec 2007 11:57

Pleas, exquse me for my bad English
Last edited by starcom on 10 Dec 2007 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”