Marine Peilstelle Ter Linden Brugge

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
MPHS Flandern

Post by MPHS Flandern » 12 Jul 2007, 22:04

Hello Everybody

I am the author of the article ATB 120 and I'm new to this forum after receiving an invitation by Buran.

I have some more unpublished pictures about the bunkers of Ter Linden, each giving only a partial view, but maybe enough to identify them. Because of copyright they will not be sent, but you are most welcome at my home to study them.

The book ramrod is indeed very hard to find, and hence 50 euro is acceptable.

In recently published secret US naval records I found out that the Allies knew all about the MPHS Marine Peil HauptStelle Flandern (formerly Marine PeilStelle) thanks to two survivors of a sunk U boat that were in fact signalmen who were stationed at the castle!

naval greetings to all

Simon V.

Post by Simon V. » 13 Jul 2007, 01:08

MPHS Flandern wrote:Hello Everybody

I am the author of the article ATB 120 and I'm new to this forum after receiving an invitation by Buran.

I have some more unpublished pictures about the bunkers of Ter Linden, each giving only a partial view, but maybe enough to identify them. Because of copyright they will not be sent, but you are most welcome at my home to study them.

The book ramrod is indeed very hard to find, and hence 50 euro is acceptable.

In recently published secret US naval records I found out that the Allies knew all about the MPHS Marine Peil HauptStelle Flandern (formerly Marine PeilStelle) thanks to two survivors of a sunk U boat that were in fact signalmen who were stationed at the castle!

naval greetings to all
As a resident of Sint-Michiels/Brugge I'd be most interested to pay you a visit. I've always been very interested in the history of MPHS Flandern.

Simon

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 13 Jul 2007, 09:45

jopaerya wrote:Thanks Buran

For the information about Ter Linden , in the report and in your information
the abbreviation M.P.H.S. can be found , does anyone have a clue ???
Did some Googleling and found that Erik E. in 2003 also was seaching for
this name . Could it be Marine Peil & Horch Stelle ????
On 01-06-1943 there were 276 personel at the site at Ter Linden .

Regards Jos
Hi Jos,
MPHS = Marine Peil Haupt Stelle like in Skisby, Hjørring, please check my Vol 3 :wink:
bregds
SES

stril

Post by stril » 13 Jul 2007, 12:23

Hello
Maybe this is also an indication that coastal radar strongpoints as the one of 'De Haan' Stp Graf Spee were in direct contact with the MPHS.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why should there be a contact between MPHS/MPS and radar stations/radar strongpoints ?
The MPHS in Norway had a 4 mast U-Adcock and Lw and GW peiler. Im sure the setup discussed here is quite larger and different but with my limited knowledge of such things i have alsways tought that radar and Adcock/peiler worked seperate. Would a MPS with U-Adcock and peilers also gather info on enemy rardars, and would a radar station gather info to be used by a MPHS/MPS ?
Regards
stril

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 13 Jul 2007, 19:02

stril wrote:Hello

Perhaps a stupid question, but why should there be a contact between MPHS/MPS and radar stations/radar strongpoints ?
The MPHS in Norway had a 4 mast U-Adcock and Lw and GW peiler. Im sure the setup discussed here is quite larger and different but with my limited knowledge of such things i have alsways tought that radar and Adcock/peiler worked seperate. Would a MPS with U-Adcock and peilers also gather info on enemy rardars, and would a radar station gather info to be used by a MPHS/MPS ?
Regards
stril
Hi stril,
My first hand knowledge of MPHS is limited to the one at Skisby, Hjørring, but from your description, yours sounds very similar. Based on the equipment (different versions of the Adcock) we must conclude that a MPHS intercepted and collected against communications only. There were special stations, which collected against allied radars (FuMB), this info was reported to the Ortungs Zentral, and the See-Kommandant, and it was immediately tactacillay exploitable. It is also my understanding, that there was a central analysis and decoding facility somewhere in Germany. "All" (actually there were very few, less than 10) MPHS reported to this center. It was in this center the position of the intercepted transmitters were fixed based on the bearings received from two or more MPHS. A direct communication with adjacent radar-stations cannot be discounted, but sounds unlikely, since the info obtained form a single MPHS would be hard to exploit at the tactical level. Further it was Wehrmacht policy and practice to "stovpipe" Funkaufklärung up to a very high level, where it was "digested"/processed, and distributed down to the operational and tactical level as appropriate.
Please also see my latest book:
"The Kriegsmarine Command, Control and Reporting System, bunkers and electronic systems in Denmark 9 April 1940 – 5 May 1945". http://www.gyges.dk/Gyges%20Pub%20Comp.htm
bregds
SES

pierrot

MPHS

Post by pierrot » 13 Jul 2007, 19:35

Hello,

Here a extract of the article from After The Battle Nr 120 (written by Jo Bergez):
The unit manning it was officially known as the Marine-Peil-Abteilung Flandern (Naval Monitoring Division Flanders), and made up of three companies: the 1. Kompanie, comprising the personnel of Ter Linden facility which was known as Marine-Peil-Hauptstelle Brügge (Naval Monitoring Main Station Bruges); the 2. Kompanie, comprising the personnel of the Marine-Peil-Nebenstellen (Naval Monitoring Sub-Stations) at the subsidiary listening posts at Den Helder, Scheveningen, Maasluis and Hoek van Holland (in the Netherlands), Middelkerke (in Belgium), and Boulogne-sur-Mer, Le Touquet, Dieppe and Etretat (in France); and a Stabskompanie (staff company) in Bruges made up of the watchkeeping and administrative personnel. The unit answered directly to the Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine (Naval High Command, OKM) in Berlin. Twice daily, a messenger left Bruges for Berlin to deliver among other things a copy of the radio interception report.

I think it's clear.

Greetings

Pierrot

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 13 Jul 2007, 20:32

Thanks Friends

For making the picture complete , according to your imput there must be
a other M.P.H.S. in France , we know now one ? in Norway , one in Denmark
one for Northern France en Belgium .

This is what makes this Forum great , a lot of people helping each other and
sharing there information and wisdom . :)

Regards Jos

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 14 Jul 2007, 09:08

Hi Jos,
Wisely spoken. I'm "on the road" right now. Back home I have some additional info on the MPHS and I'll try to design a page on http://www.gyges.dk adressing the subject. But you are right Jos, there were some widly spaced stations in all of the occupied countries. My guss is that there must have been two in Norway. One in the Stavanger area and one in ?????
bregds
SES

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Jul 2007, 09:38

Hello All

I was looking for this page for a few days , finelly found it .
This information is from 08-05-1945 and was produced
from memory , there were no maps .
It's a pity the date is not pre D-Day then we had also Ter Linden .
+ = in Bau
++ = nicht bertriebsklar

Regards Jos

Ockenburg

Post by Ockenburg » 14 Jul 2007, 13:37

Interesting information Jos !
Do you've also information on the peilanlagen of Heer in The Netherlands ?

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Jul 2007, 13:47

Hi Ockenburg

Sorry did not find anything on Ludwig , but I keep searching .
For Den Helder I found at Baupunkt 138 M (M.P.N.S.)

Regards Jos

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 14 Jul 2007, 15:29

Hi all who responded,
Thank you VERY much, lots of pieces to a complex puzzle, but we are getting there. Has anyone got an idea about the location of the exploitation center ?
bregds
SES

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 15 Jul 2007, 20:51

SES wrote:Hi Jos,
Back home I have some additional info on the MPHS and I'll try to design a page on http://www.gyges.dk adressing the subject.
Hi,
Far from done yet, there is more info to digest, but here is a starter:
http://www.gyges.dk/kriegsmarine_signal ... igenc2.htm
bregds
SES

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 15 Jul 2007, 21:41

Great news Ses

I was also seaching for information around Brest , but Bordeaux , Kirkenes and Montpellier
and offcousse the Nebenstelle are totally new for me , the bunkerhunt is one :lol:

Thanks and Regards Jos

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 15 Jul 2007, 22:36

Hi Jos,
You are welcome, thought you might like it. I still have a few sources I have to cross refer as I said. As for bunkers - who knows, but there ought to be a couple of Adcock foundations out there. And it correlates nicely with what you already posted.
bregds
SES

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”