Project: Make a M19!

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Re: Project: Make a M19!

Post by M19 MADMAL » 13 Oct 2010 12:15

Feind-hort-mit wrote:Call that an update..come on now Malcolm :roll: , we require..even expect..more..much much more :)
:P Nice to meet you the on the 2nd at the M19 at Groβfels :D Shame it was feet first as I slid in :lol:

The exterior of the 424P01 turret is finished along with the Pz.Rbl.Z.F.3 periscope for observation/aiming :milsmile:

The protective lid is copied from the example seen in the wartime photo of the M19 shown below. It looks like it was a simple frame covered with canvas to protect the revolving plate from the effects of the salt air (but it could also be shot through in an emergency) and was propped up so to allow observation and firing towards St. Ouen's Bay which was a likely point of attack.

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

AvB

Post by AvB » 13 Oct 2010 12:20

Wow looking great Malcolm!!

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter

Post by M19 MADMAL » 13 Oct 2010 12:37

Thanks AvB :milsmile:

This is my favorite view.
No barrel in place as yet as I am not sure if the weapon will be lowered inside the turret or in its firing position :?

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

TUS

Post by TUS » 14 Oct 2010 14:04

Very nice Malcolm 8O
Looking forward to see you work in real life sometime.

Brgds Tønnes

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Oct 2010 14:29

Hello Malcolm

Damned good imitation , still the wooden cover is not very pratical for a 360 weapon .

Regards Jos

corsair5517

Post by corsair5517 » 14 Oct 2010 20:53

Gee; that looks good; nice work, that man!!
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter

Post by M19 MADMAL » 14 Nov 2010 20:51

Hi M19 fans,

Work on the weapon part of the M19 is coming along nicely as you will see from the photos :milsmile:

The barrel has taken quite a bit of work to construct and I am lucky to have a complete copy of the 'M19 Manual' from our friends in Holland 8-) Working from original scale drawings has helped greatly and taught me alot about the weapon!

I always thought the bar found on each side of the barrel was for it to run up and down on when it was in opperation but it turns out that they revolve 90 degrees by moving the lever on them near the lower end. Doing this releases the bearings (for allowing the barrel to slide up and down on) at the top and bottom end of the barrel for it to be removed. Also the barrel is permanently kept open (or up) by a spring and is pulled down for firing with the sping opening it again 8-)

The next job is to work on the ammunition clip feed and as you can see on the first photo, the replica will take an original clip!

The lower platform for the mortar room is also currently under construction and will be in place soon. . .

More to follow :milsmile:

Regards,

grappener

Post by grappener » 17 Nov 2010 19:28

Go for it Malcolm!!

I think this will be a crowning glory down there at Stp. Corbiere. This is a really inspired and novel project and it deserves to be finished.

The "Blue Peter" approach makes it even better in my opinion as there will be a heck of a story of how it was crafted to show off to many visitors for years to come.

Modern history literally in the making.

Keep on it!

cheers

Grappener

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter

Post by M19 MADMAL » 20 Dec 2010 22:41

Hi all,

The lower platform for the mortar was put in place tonight :milsmile:
Engelbert Hoppe wrote: The firewood was kept along side the stove and any spare wood was put under the mortar
Once finished wood will again be stacked under the mortar! :D

The plates that make the floor need to be bolted down and the 2 steps that go on the front need to be constructed to finish it off but its a major step forward in the construction of the M19 8-)

Regards,
Malcolm :wink:

AvB

Post by AvB » 21 Dec 2010 23:14

Great work again! :)

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter

Post by M19 MADMAL » 20 Jan 2011 23:08

Hi all,

The lower platform is now finished :milsmile:

It's almost 57 years to the day when the original one was cut up for scrap :x

The next plan is to look at getting the lower mounting constructed 8-)

Regards,

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter

Post by M19 MADMAL » 29 Jan 2011 15:51

Hi all,

The weapon part of the mortar is now nearing completion with the inside of the Rahmenzuführung (clip feeding frame) finished complete with all the bits used to guide and pull the ammunition clips through during firing. 8-)

I am currently working on the construction of the large Schutzkasten (protective case) that covers the top of the Rahmenzuführung and the Bodenstück under/below it. The Bodenstück was the device that opperated the mortar components from feeding the clips to opperating the barrel and firing.

Most examples of M19s produced are to be found to have the upper platform and mortar painted red oxide while the lower mounting is gray. One soldier (the late Horst Herrmann) who was stationed at Stp. Corbiere and trained on the M19 recalled the weapon was "gray with shiny crome wheels". This is supported by an original protective guard from the weapon (found during the excavation of the mortar room) which had traces of gray paint on it as well as wartime photographic evidence of at least two M19s being all grey.

More to follow! :milsmile:

Regards,

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter

Post by M19 MADMAL » 29 Jan 2011 16:18

Hi all,

Local steelworks 'Grouville Forge' are currently contracted to make the large box (as seen in the photo below) as well as the 4 rungs which will allow the completion of the lower mounting! :D

On the left and right hand side of this box was a access door to get to the wiring within and 2 doors were used for this purpose. luckely the doors were discovered dumped down the entrance drain of the 633 at Stp. Corbiere so they will be re-fitted once the box has been constructed :milsmile:

More to follow!
Regards,

TH

Post by TH » 29 Jan 2011 18:34

Coming along nicely!
But if this thing can't fire wooden grenades when it's down I'll be disappointed. :wink:

corsair5517

Post by corsair5517 » 30 Jan 2011 00:13

Looking good, Mal - gee, there's been a bit of sand removal done over the years,eh!! What are the hoses on the top picture? They look like hydraulic hoses but I'm guessing they're electrical conduit?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”