What is the function of this hole in the floor of bunker

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jopaerya

Re: What is the function of this hole in the floor of bunker

Post by jopaerya » 01 Sep 2008, 16:26

Liesje

Post by Liesje » 03 Sep 2008, 18:23

JTG wrote: Jan's schematic is for a different type of box which seems to have a grid rather than just a perforated 3mm +/- plate on top.

John
Hi John,

In the former Festung Hoek van Holland every bunker I have been in has the box from Jan's drawing.
I suppose they were different per region?

Regards,
Annelies
Attachments
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg (117.72 KiB) Viewed 524 times
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg (134.1 KiB) Viewed 525 times

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 03 Sep 2008, 20:48

Hello

Here a other drawing of the pit with "Sinkkasten"

Regards Jos

michelb

Post by michelb » 04 Sep 2008, 08:50

elvamie wrote:Michel, about 'crude' and mentioning of Kochbunkers

Untill now I haven't found a map wich mentions Kochbunkers, the map only gives the position of a bunker/kazemat. After a visit to the military and national archive I expect to find more details, story continous...
Ok. Sounds good. Still a bit confused about the "crudeness" of Kochbunkers. What are there so "new"? Dutch production maybe?
I found four Kochbunkers along the Rhine in Arnhem, FestPioStab 35 build 81 Kochbunkers in the Pantherstellung. They also constructed 21 of the planned 60 Regelbau bunkers voor Kwk43. Research continous, more info and details coming up...
Interesting information.
p.s. What is your source for the explanation of the name Kochbunker ?
I found two explainations. The most common is that then structuires were named after Erich Koch. Kurt Burk (Die deutschen Landesbefestigungen im Osten 1919-1945) says that is nonsence. Koch had no involvement in defense at all. Het was only interested in steal art. Burt says it is named because a the bunker resambles a cooking stove (cooking oven). Kochbunker would be Cooking Bunker.

Regards,
Michel

JTG

Post by JTG » 04 Sep 2008, 12:20

[quote="Liesje"][quote="JTG"]
Jan's schematic is for a different type of box which seems to have a grid rather than just a perforated 3mm +/- plate on top.

John[/quote]

Hi John,

In the former Festung Hoek van Holland every bunker I have been in has the box from Jan's drawing.
I suppose they were different per region?

Regards,
Annelies[/quote]

I think there must be at least two variants of box and grille/lid & frame: I am fairly sure that I've seen boxes with the two small handles inside over here, but I can't recall ever seeing the deeper grille: the metal framing around the hole isn't deep enough in our bunkers to take it without it being proud of the floor; not ideal!

Whether one is earlier than the other or it's a regional thing I don't know: it looks as though the grille is a 1934 design, it's certainly more complex to make and could well have been streamlined. Our type of lid is stamped from sheet metal and the handle is very basic, so probably cheaper and easier to produce.

Are we looking at distinct Westwall and Atlantikwall variants?

Best

John

JTG

Post by JTG » 13 Sep 2008, 07:35

See also:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=143714

Which shows that not everything is what it seems!

John

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”