Batterie Kolimvari on Crete

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Natter

Re: Batterie Kolimvari on Crete

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 13:18

Natter wrote:My updated map of WW2-related objects (still some unknowns and I forgot to remove the Hill 107 museum + some positions don't show correctly at the map for some reason...):
I have added new icons and corrected all positions so that the icon is placed on top of the object when zooing in on the map.
Also added a couple of new objects found by examining the new and improved aerial photos were they are available on Google Maps (some of the objects are still not confirmed, ref the use of "?" and "ca pos" in the text-labels).

The link to the map is the same as given above:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Ondrej Filip

Post by Ondrej Filip » 06 Aug 2015, 14:06

That is nice and "user friendly" with the new icons.

Still have no location of Nopigia Festungpak?

You can add "Greek" icon to the Fletcher class destroyer turret, at the wall of Itzedin fort.

There are some information about Rethymno, but I was not able to localize the shelter with tobruk, shown at photos.

Screenshot 2015-8-6_13-57-51.jpg
Fletscher class turret

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 14:29

Ondrej Filip wrote:That is nice and "user friendly" with the new icons.
Thanks (some are probably wrong nationality, but I will correct if I get proper feedback.
Ondrej Filip wrote:There are some information about Rethymno, but I was not able to localize the shelter with tobruk, shown at photos.
Ok, thanks. I will add it to the list, pending exact position.
Last edited by Natter on 06 Aug 2015, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 14:37

Ondrej Filip wrote:You can add "Greek" icon to the Fletcher class destroyer turret, at the wall of Itzedin fort.
Is it a WW2 fortification (I tried to get in there, but the site was fenced off and signes indicated it's still an active Greek military installation)?
Attachments
IMG_4342.jpg

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 14:47

Ondrej Filip wrote:Still have no location of Nopigia Festungpak?
There were at least two of them, and both are on my map: One is titled: "NN (entrance 2 to tunnellsystem)".
It was hidden behind a large tree/bushes in may 2014. Access is probably best from above - I could not find a way from the front due to many fences. Also note that the property adjacent to this (with entrance 3) with a not-so friendly farmer and lots of angry dogs...

The other one, which was in a partly demolished building is probably long gone: From the current aerial photos I suspect the area has been populated by a new hotel?
Attachments
IMG_4632.jpg

Ondrej Filip

Post by Ondrej Filip » 06 Aug 2015, 15:50

Natter wrote:
Ondrej Filip wrote:Still have no location of Nopigia Festungpak?
There were at least two of them, and both are on my map: One is titled: "NN (entrance 2 to tunnellsystem)".
It was hidden behind a large tree/bushes in may 2014. Access is probably best from above - I could not find a way from the front due to many fences. Also note that the property adjacent to this (with entrance 3) with a not-so friendly farmer and lots of angry dogs...
The other one, which was in a partly demolished building is probably long gone: From the current aerial photos I suspect the area has been populated by a new hotel?
Sometimes the icons covers whole bunker (Italian bunkers at the east).

Nopigia Festungpak - you are right. This is it. Maybe you should write it to the map. That is not good terrain for tourist in shorts and sandals :-)

Fletcher turrets was installed after the war, probably during the scrapping of the ships, which took place in Souda Bay. There is also a nice propeller in front of the museum (casemate battery at Chania). I meant those remnants are associated with WWII (those destroyers were ex-US WWII ships).

I was not able to localize this tank turret Tobruk. It should be near Parthennonos church, southeast part of Kastelli Kissamos. It must be visible, if preserved.
943_1.jpg
943_1.jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
Spinalonga - is not one of the gun positions visible - about 50 m NE of your icon? This round wall of stones does not looks like part of the old fortress or civilian building.

herring

Post by herring » 06 Aug 2015, 16:26

I was not able to localize this tank turret Tobruk. It should be near Parthennonos church, southeast part of Kastelli Kissamos. It must be visible, if preserved.
I've been there a week ago - in my opinion it's destroyed
Access is probably best from above - I could not find a way from the front due to many fences. Also note that the property adjacent to this (with entrance 3) with a not-so friendly farmer and lots of angry dogs...
In the greek site the pictures are taken from inside, so it must be accessible

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 16:27

Thanks - I've made corrections/additions according to your input.
Ondrej Filip wrote:I was not able to localize this tank turret Tobruk. It should be near Parthennonos church, southeast part of Kastelli Kissamos. It must be visible, if preserved.
I think it has been concluded a while back that this has been demolished or covered...

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 16:31

herring wrote:I've been there a week ago - in my opinion it's destroyed
Yes - as I just mentioned (I was writing while you posted :) ).
herring wrote:
Access is probably best from above - I could not find a way from the front due to many fences. Also note that the property adjacent to this (with entrance 3) with a not-so friendly farmer and lots of angry dogs...
In the greek site the pictures are taken from inside, so it must be accessible
Yes, it's accessible - no doubt about that (there are photos in the norwegian forum as well). You need to get in through "entrance 1" though, as "entrance 3" is inside a fenced off area - ref my previous post.
My point is that you need to approach this site from the plateau above, not the road along the beach.
Last edited by Natter on 06 Aug 2015, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 16:32

Double post...
Last edited by Natter on 06 Aug 2015, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

herring

Post by herring » 06 Aug 2015, 16:33

Exactly in the marked location there is a taverna (had a greek salad there :-) ), but 10m to west there is a demolished building, making a sort of "garden architecture". Do you have pictures, how it used to look before?
There are some information about Rethymno, but I was not able to localize the shelter with tobruk, shown at photos.
location is 35°21'33.95"N 24°28'9.04"E, it's 3 tobruks there

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Aug 2015, 16:40

herring wrote:
Exactly in the marked location there is a taverna (had a greek salad there :-) ), but 10m to west there is a demolished building, making a sort of "garden architecture". Do you have pictures, how it used to look before?
No, I couldn't find it - I'm pretty sure I parked beside that loacation when I was looking for it though...
Vevang on the norwegian forum has photos (not posted), and from what I can remember, the ruin was isolated with just some trees around it (I will check this with Vevang later).
herring wrote:
location is 35°21'33.95"N 24°28'9.04"E, it's 3 tobruks there
Thanks - I'll add those as well :)

redgemak

Post by redgemak » 21 Sep 2015, 10:33

Natter

I've been to Crete this week and visited the two (British) bunkers behind Maleme Semetry.
The one on your map at the right side of the chapel is in my opinion not a bunker but the ruins of a house, there is no concrete at all in this building.
Maleme right 1.jpg
Maleme right 2.jpg
Maleme right 3.jpg

herring

Post by herring » 14 Jun 2017, 11:08

Hello,
In 2 weeks I'm visiting Crete , making now a list of tasks to research. I will be staying around Chania. Does anyone have any points/ locations that need to be clarified, and I can help with it?

regards
herring

Ondrej Filip

Post by Ondrej Filip » 14 Jun 2017, 13:22

herring wrote:Hello,
In 2 weeks I'm visiting Crete , making now a list of tasks to research. I will be staying around Chania. Does anyone have any points/ locations that need to be clarified, and I can help with it?

regards
herring
Hi. Could you try to take a detail pictures of the armour plate inside the German observation bunker in Kokkino Chorio? And also 4,7 cm Festung PAK 36 (t) bunkers Kalives and Nopigia? It is all near Chania (30 minutes max, see my map and article)

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”