German fortification in Ukraine

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Konstantin

German fortification in Ukraine

Post by Konstantin » 19 Jul 2009, 08:11

Hello, dear colleagues!
Exploring and studying German fortifications of World War II on the territory of Ukraine. Of the remaining, I know:
1. 6 pieces Ringstand near Shatski Lakes, Volin;
2.In the area of the city of Melitopol - Mordvinovka, kostiantynivka, Gardens, Danilo-Ivanovka. The line "Wotan." Unfortunately I have no photographs remaining stores.
3. City Kramatosk, Donetsk Oblast.

Dear colleagues, if you have photos or information on other German fortifications, I ask you to help.
Best regards. Кonstantin.

herring

Re: German fortification in Ukraine

Post by herring » 19 Jul 2009, 12:01

Hello Konstantin,

Subject is very interesting and not explored at all. It seems to me, that on this forum hardly anyone will be able to help you.
Where I would look ?
- Along Panther/Wotan/Adler Stellung (differnt names of "Ostwall" ) - Dnepr river, then turning to Meritpol
- along Desna river
- Stellungs around Kursk Bow (what means Kharkov)
- along Donez river
- along Mius river
- alond Prypec river - partly on Belarussia side
- along hillsteps of Carpathians: Kovel - Brody - Romanian border

You will use all your life to find these remains.... :-)

In my opinion, eastern front is extremally interesting. German fortifications transformed there from simple trenches, to sophisticated and well designed modern field fortification systems, that can be put in the middle between "permanent"
and "fied" fortifications (e.g. remember, that Pantherturm was developed for eastern front...)

regrads
herring

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 19 Jul 2009, 20:34

Hello Konstantin

Do you have a drawing of the tobruk 2 ??

Regards Jos

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 20 Jul 2009, 11:00

jopaerya wrote:Hello Konstantin

Do you have a drawing of the tobruk 2 ??

Regards Jos
Hello, Jos!
Unfortunately I have no photos of German fortifications on the line "Wotan." But just know that something is kept. Perhaps in the near future, traveled to the region of Melitopol - necessarily publish photos in this forum
You will use all your life to find these remains.... :-)
Hello, herring!
On the territory of Ukraine retained the German fortifications are not as much as you think. Or, I would like. When the Soviet Union were blown up by German fortifications had been destroyed a cemetery of German soldiers.Even the Red Army fortifications, many were blown up (line of Stalin, Molotov line). So I can only envy from colleagues in Europe - you are very much preserved.
Dear colleagues, perhaps someone of you have old photos of German fortifications from the Second World War? Especially interested any pictures of areas Donets River (Kramatorskaja, Slavyansk, Izjum, kostiantynivka, Druzhkivka, Svyatogorsk, Majaki) and district Mius - Front. Please, post in this forum.
Best regards. Konstantin.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 03 Jan 2010, 17:48

Surviving German fortifications on the "Mius-front".

This is a German firing points near the village Demidivka Matveev-Kurgan district of Rostov region. Here, in April 1943, part of the 17 th Infantry Division held the bridge over Mius.

German construction in the village Kucherovka Matveev-Kurgan region.

Spring 2010 plan to organize an expedition to those edges, for inspection and identification of other known surviving buildings.Kindly requested to colleagues - perhaps you have some information on the fortification line of defense "Mius-front"?

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 28 Jan 2011, 21:02

Good evening, dear colleagues!
Near the city of Donetsk (Stalino), near the river Kalmius former positions on the German defensive line "Turtle",

found here, such "boxes".

Does anyone have any ideas - what it is, whether related to the fortification?
Best regards.
Konstantin.

herring

Post by herring » 29 Jan 2011, 21:24

Hello,

Looks very interesting. It's prefabricated?
How many of them have you found?
Are they identical?

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 29 Jan 2011, 21:55

herring wrote:Hello,

Looks very interesting. It's prefabricated?
How many of them have you found?
Are they identical?
Hello,

Yes, identical products, scattered on the ground - about 5-6 miles. In this picture, I tried to finish the missing pieces.

Not specifically searched for all products, but I think that more than 10 units have seen. Can not it be a concrete cap to protect the foxhole?

herring

Post by herring » 29 Jan 2011, 23:44

Helo,

I don't know.
It could be the cap to protect a foxhole, or it could be a very simple version of ringstand (e.g. to protect gunner from smashing him by a tank). You found them lying around, or also installed in the ground? Do they have a ceiling?

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 04 Mar 2011, 11:35

herring wrote:Helo,

I don't know.
It could be the cap to protect a foxhole, or it could be a very simple version of ringstand (e.g. to protect gunner from smashing him by a tank). You found them lying around, or also installed in the ground? Do they have a ceiling?
Good day!
They are scattered in the area. The ceiling for these caps are available. Bad that no one knows what it is.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 04 Mar 2011, 11:51

Dear colleagues, what we see in the photo - ZBOT - reinforced concrete pillboxes. Very widely used in the Red Army, as well as applied and the Wehrmacht. The same applied, and the Wehrmacht captured in fair amount abandoned by retreating Soviet troops.

Remains of German pillboxes line of defense "turtle." Picture taken at Mariupol, on the river Kalmius

Mius-front. 1943 German defense line - from the "Turtle" to "Wotan."

herring

Post by herring » 04 Mar 2011, 14:35

Hello,

Very interesting map. Sometimes on regimental or corps maps you can find lines with names.
Wotan is simply a south part Pantherstellung, all the system seems to be foreward positions of Panther line.
Which of them you have identified as "Turtle" - I guess in german it should be "Schildkrote"?
You have examined only this line, or also rest of them?
Do you notice differences in between lines, e.g earth+wood, or earth +wood+concrete?

I really appreciate your job - good luck!

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 02 Aug 2011, 19:07

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen!
Continues the theme of German fortifications on the territory of Ukraine.

What we see in the photographs presented below - the German pillboxes at the hands of Soviet prisoners of war at the time of the occupation by German troops of Kharkov.Whether she had the opportunity to participate in the fighting - the big question.

Mariupol ...
Strangely enough, but matters of fortifications of the Second World War in Mariupol, nobody really did. And this is despite the fact that so many interesting people involved in the theme of war, occupation, underground, military operations, many serious studies (such of them as "Operation" Blau"and "Adolf Hitler in Mariupol" I'm going to introduce you a little later) ...

Structure that we see in the above photos are for 23 microdistrict Mariupol. It has been suggested that the remains of German gun emplacements. Yet I am inclined to think that this is what's left of a field shelter personnel (settlement) of anti-aircraft guns. According to the authoritative people, here was located the position of 88 mm. anti-aircraft gun, covering the one of the German airfields.

The author of these photographs - A Butt

There is no doubt that this building in the village of Sandy - just fire point. Unfortunately, to date, is on private land, so a visit there is a problem. A very interesting building, I personally - because it's this red brick. Here's why. None of the album, typical designs, in one instruction you will not find this. So, something like that, no more. This - improvisation German army engineers, situational - and this is it, these buildings is unique.

These beacons are located on the top of the southern and northern breakwaters Mariupol port. Work so far and represent shots on target. Depth there is extremely small, the warships will not just boats. That's probably all for today. All is not clear, but I'm sure - will be clarified. The only pity is that this border area - go there to inspect buildings is difficult.

"... At the end of the West Pier in the port in concrete tower-shaped box, installed two 120 mm guns. Sector shooting him - in the entrance channel Coal Harbour. Concreted The same tower was constructed 400 meters from the root of West Pier to the town of Sandy ". (V.Zinoviev, Mariupol - fortified area).

The author of these photographs - A Butt

Not a good picture of German gun emplacements on the curve spit (village Sedov, Azov Sea). Shooting from the tower made of ornithologists (height 27 m). Closer does not let security - here are nesting sites of rare birds Landscape Park "Meotida."

Dear friends, I will be grateful for any information about such facilities in Ukraine, which may be contained in the huge amount of literature on the actions of the German troops on the territory of Ukraine (Army Group South). I'm talking about the literature that was published in Western Europe and still remains inaccessible to citizens of the former Soviet Union.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 15 Jul 2012, 20:09

German strengthening on the Crooked braid (settlement of Sedovo, Ukraine)

This arbour stands on the dome of German concrete fortification building (Kramatorsk, Ukraine)

This object is on the guarded private territory. And that we were allowed to look - only good will of proprietor. However, herein there is a positive moment is building in safety and safety. About that, to begin excavations, conversation not идет while - an owner simply morally is not ready to it, he must get used with an idea, that it is a historical value. Approximately as well as it -

collection of facilities on restoration of that absolutely gave nothing. Paradox - the poor layers of population (highly skilled workers, teachers, engineers) are ready to endow facilities, but their possibilities are not great. And former gangsters and party bonzes on "Porsche Cayenne" - nothing is known and does not want to know about Second World war.

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 13 Oct 2012, 17:00

German defensive building on the coast of sea(Sedovo, Ukraine) of Azov.

Dear friends, maybe it model construction? Is somewhere alike?

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”