Secret Bunkers Discovered

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Hanz-Muller

Post by Hanz-Muller » 03 Feb 2003, 12:12

My family and I are avid WWII Buffs. I remember when I was younger reading about some secret bunker that was found in one of the lakes in S Germany. It was described as an under water bunker and had secret weapons that were undescovered. Nothing was ever written about it again. And I have not been able to find anything about it either. Anyway remember reading/ hearing about this. I know that people have disappeared searching for things in some of these lakes. Anyway thanks..

Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Post by Dennis Redler » 03 Feb 2003, 13:31

Interesting, it reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me 30 years ago.
While in the Army, stationed in Germany, he helped stand guard at a lake that was really an airfield of some kind. Apparantly the water could be drained at night and aircraft were taken from waterproof hangers to fly missions. Then , just before dawn, the field would be cleared and then flooded. As the story goes, just before capture, the Germans boobytrapped and then flooded the field.
My friend said that on clear days he could see aircraft and vehicles under the water and the guard was needed to keep people away because of all the boobytraps.
I haven't thought of this in years. Anybody else ever hear about this ?
Dennis Redler :)

lade

Post by lade » 03 Feb 2003, 15:04

This bunker talk reminds me about a underground bunker in my hometown. The Luftwaffe built a large airfield here. Hangars still exists.
Outside the airfield they built a storage bunker. According to some files the bunker contains the alcohol storage for the Officers club. Today we arent sure where the entrance is exactly. A group of people have been trying to raise money to blow a hole on the bunker roof with explosives.
But the bunker also lies in the center of our town today. So it's doubtful that this ever will happen.
Would be interesting to get inside it though.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 03 Feb 2003, 17:30

I guess there is storys of hidden or secret bunkers all over Eurpoe from
WWII. When i was doing my duty in the army in Finnmark there wasa story of a bunker that the germans just left intact in a area nearby.
and since it's been seen only ince. For several years a soldier out on a hunting trip fell down in a hole and saw a door there. he open it and inside he saw Radios and books and other stuff. looked almost like they just went out for coffee and never got back.
But the sad part is that they never has been able to find it again.
I tryied myself to find it but we knew we was in the area but Nothing was found.
This was around Skoganvarre in Lakselv

FRENCH_PASCAL

bunker in europe

Post by FRENCH_PASCAL » 03 Feb 2003, 18:34

a bunker was supposed to be hidden..

For the fun, at 5 kilometers of Saint-Tropez (the famous city in the south of France, Brigitte Bardot....) a little complex of 5 or 6 bunkers was in La Foux. They were not mentionned in the maps, but very fun for children of the area, despite that in 1944 all guns were taken , it was possible to find small arms (I find in 1977 the metal part of a Mauser 98K)
They were destroyed by a company that build houses (in this area the prices are very expensive, and of course theses blokhaus where in a Hill with a marvellous view on the sea...). The destruction was illegal but quick and secret, due to the fact that the bunkers weren't in the map and in the local books... it was easy. Business win what memory loose.

Pascal
Old Europe

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 04 Feb 2003, 00:43

a bunker was supposed to be hidden..
okay i got it, point taken :D
what i meant was a bunker who like the ones you told about wasn't on the map or in books.
we have meny abandoned bunkers up here in North of Norway.
some years ago a boy found a german machinegun standing beside a rock nearby a frotification. nobody knows how it could have been there all these years, but it was a very remote area. nobody go there , but not this time 8)

lade

Post by lade » 04 Feb 2003, 09:59

A kilometer from my house there is a German flak position which still is military area. But the gate is broken and you can get in there and walk in most of the bunkers except the ammunition storage which is closed with concrete walls. Of course all the equipment is removed.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 04 Feb 2003, 17:23

Hi Lade. Are you thinking of Værnes? the National guard camp? former airforce boot camp?
I thougt Norw military were still using those bunkers.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”