ID of radar/radio tower location near Cherbourg?

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jopaerya

Re: ID of radar/radio tower location near Cherbourg?

Post by jopaerya » 21 Sep 2009, 16:13

Hello Niels

Again nice detective work I think we got a match , the right tower looks to be the one on your first picture .

Regards Jos
Attachments
valogner strasse.jpg
valogner strasse.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 21 Sep 2009, 20:10

jpz4 wrote:Les terres rouges in ww2 and today. The RN13 is at the bottom, and heads north/north-west at this point. So we're looking basically to the east here. For larger resolution click here, here and here.

hello,jpz4

the photos that you have placed are not "les terres rouges and les chèvres." I think you have probably misplaced the place. the red earth was the town are the "la glacerie" and "les chèvres" are on the village Tollevast .

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 21 Sep 2009, 21:27

Moonraker, you are right. This field with the antenna's is 1km to the south of Les Terres Rouge and east of la Mare à Canards. I believe the control bunker was not located on the antenna field. Can you tell me were the bunker was located before it was demolished? And where is Punkt 177 exactly?

This specfic bunker is believed to have been near Les Chèvres or near la Mare à Canards. Because of the radio La Mare à Canards seems logical. My guess would be this bunker was located just west of the RN13. Right?
Image.com/albums/q52/jagdpanzer4/bunker-18.jpg[/img]

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 21 Sep 2009, 22:07

Hello

You see the place were the bunker was on the map above La Banque Genets ( pentagon sign)

Regards Jos
Attachments
Bunker cher.jpg
Bunker cher.jpg (159.91 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 21 Sep 2009, 22:28

hello,
ici the chart with the annotation ....

Manuferey

Post by Manuferey » 22 Sep 2009, 03:46

Niels: as always, great detective work !

Here is an excerpt of Cross Channel attack mentioning fighting not too far from the communication bunker at Wn 548 - Les Terres Rouges:

"The 314th Infantry fought in the draws east of Tollevast until dark, when one battalion slipped around the enemy positions and made contact with the 313th Infantry west of Crossroads 177. At this point the 314th was only a few hundred yards from a communications bunker which contained the switchboard for the entire Cherbourg Landfront. The bunker was not discovered and remained to function for a day or so behind the American lines, reporting to Schlieben some details of American movements (per Hoffmann Report. 7th Army, KTB Anlagen 1.I-30.VI.44)."

And here is another picture (from ebay.fr) of the comm bunker in 1944 after its capture:

Emmanuel

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 22 Sep 2009, 10:59

Hello all

That would be the Wn. 548 La Banque á Genets, right?

Any one know´s what type this bunker was? And is it still there?

Edit:

Just noticed the answer from Moonraker, that is was demolished in 2003 :oops:

@ Moonraker: Could you please post the pictures you posted before in that other thread ?

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 22 Sep 2009, 14:38

hello all,
is subject is very interesting I'll put a photo of IGN 1964 in a day coming.this photo will not be giving us a good surprise before the supermarket and other buildings.
for JPZ4 and jos :
I think the three antenna and high Barrak lie behind the bunker about 200 meters in the north-oeust n: wn would point 521 which is occupied by the lufwaffe.

here the bunker in the years 2003 before the destroy.

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 22 Sep 2009, 15:33

Hi,
I have followed this discussion with some interest and there were a number of Lw sites in the area.

Is the coms bunker a 618?
bregds
SES
Attachments
carte-stellungen crop 3.jpg
carte-stellungen crop 3.jpg (234.49 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 22 Sep 2009, 15:43

Hello

Thanks to Moonraker for the picture.

This is the drawing that also moonraker brought in the earlier tread.

Here i was named a "SK"? Only one entrance / notausgang and different rooms than the R618?

something between a R618 and a R691??

Stp. 521 Les Rouges Terres indicates a SK/Nachrichten?

Please comment on the type.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
Wn. 548 Cherbourg Landfront, Stp. Les Chevres.jpg
Wn. 548 Cherbourg Landfront, Stp. Les Chevres.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 1851 times

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 22 Sep 2009, 16:14

Looking at this map, it indeed seems the allies were not aware of the communications bunker.

Also note the location of the radio towers (M.F & V.H.F.) Interestingly enough the location of the three antenna's on the map are different from the aerial photograph. The angle of the photograph could explain that. Although that would make it four antenna's and there certainly aren't four on the aerial.

However, there also is another possibility that I previously had not yet considered....
Could it be the 'antenna' on my photograph is actually a communications/power-line using steel towers? Quite unusual for Normandy but looking at the map, it suddenly seems a lot more likely.... That could mean the smaller tower on the aerial photograph is from a similar line as well. Note where it has been drawn on the map....

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 22 Sep 2009, 16:20

Hello All

Here some remarks , please correct me whem I am wrong .
(1) on the American photo's we can see a other antenna ( right of the bunker ) then the 3 we have seen on
the other side of the road

(2) Stp. 521 is the Luftwaffe heavy 4 x 8.8 cm flakbatterie ( at the slide bending of the road )

(3) On the map from SES you can see that there are a lot of Luftwaffe Fu.M.B. or Stör stelle/dorf named
Fledermaus , Brennabor and Kakadu , but I can't place them .

(4) At the map you can see the W.N. 449 and 452 in the Stp. Valogner-Strasse also at W.N. 493 ( Valongerstrasse Kreuzung ) La Maison Bertrand with the mark 177 . On W.N. 548 you see the St bunker and something higher the
Stp. 521 the Luftwaffe flak batterie .

(5) red dots = Heer , green dots = Luftwaffe , blue dots = Kriegsmarine .

(6) as we know from several other original maps the marks were not allways placed on the right spot .

Regards Jos
Attachments
Axis  Cherbourg.jpg
Axis Cherbourg.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 22 Sep 2009, 16:50

Jos, have you seen the reply I posted just before the last one you posted?
Here is a high-res scan from Battle-zone Normandy - Battle for Cherbourg - R.P.W. Havers: click

Niels

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 22 Sep 2009, 17:10

Hello Niels

Yes very nice drawing fits very well with the German map , all T lines on the American map come
together in the ST bunker . This intell must have aother source them air recon , all T lines must
be the telephone lines leading to all the Stp. and W.N. in the Landfront .

Regards Jos

P.S. Still are the 2 main antenna's and the small steel one Luftwaffe or Heer ???? at the site M.F.& V.H.F.

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 22 Sep 2009, 17:35

hello,

I also have this card gsgs but be careful of entries in the drawing are not all true. example, since the bunker sk Nachrichten "to lines of railroad it notes several line T that comes in a relay type C in fact it was never built and only traces of the land. As I've said antenna is in the north west has 200 meters of the bunker. ....

jos I think wn on the map of Cherbourg are well placed because I already tested several times with a slap.
The biggest worry I had to put the anti-tank ditch in front of valogener Strabe ... wn 451,452 going to the valley :roll:

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”