Info: Army Vs Navy coastal artillery

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Madsen

Post by Madsen » 11 Jun 2003 18:24

this is a gun from a fort outside Bodø, Bremnes fort. the gun is moved from its org pos. Ill take more pic next time im in bodø
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redbaron1908

Post by Redbaron1908 » 11 Jun 2003 18:51

What type of gun is that Madsen ?

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 11 Jun 2003 20:15

I think its a 10cm(or 12cm) gun. there is no signs on the gun that tells about it and i didnt want to scrape of the painting to find any data on it:)
but i'll try to find out more the next time im in that area
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon Hveding

Post by Jon Hveding » 10 Jan 2004 12:12

The gun is a Krupp 10,5cm gun, manufactured in 1918, originally as a submarine gun. Inscriptions on the gun states this. There is also another gun stored idoors on the same spot, and this is totally intact, with sights and everything, contrary to the outdoor one. During the war, it was located somewhere else further south in Norway, unfortunately I have forgot where. In Bodø, however, similar guns was stationed at Hammerviken, between the town and the air base. On the picture above, you can actually see my home on the right top. :)
Regards
Jon

Erich

Post by Erich » 10 Jan 2004 18:56

Erik :

Is it possible you could bring up one or two Luftwaffe battery installations for comparision ? I agree that a bolted formation would likely resist the vibration tendancy but there should of been ease of removing the gun to a more protective position if needed. Also too at least with lighter forms of Fla such as 2cm zwilling and the famous 2cm Flakvierling that Marine fla pieces were more armored with larger folding shields -- increased weight ? I'll see if I can round up a couple of late war deck pieces for viewing.

good stuff gents !

Erich ~

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 10 Jan 2004 19:40

From reading what's here, and looking at the photos, the only thing I can figure is that the positions were built to accomodate the weapons that were available. If the Navy was moving in, their supply system provided a different mount than the Army system. Also, as far as using the other service's guns, (not being an artilleryman, mind you!), if the guns were basically the same, then there shouldn't be too much difference in performance characteristics?

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 11 Jan 2004 01:30

Allways love new attention to old threads :)

As far as I have seen this is the state for norway:

Coastal artillery: Only Marine and Heer.

Marine Flak: Really well done emplacements, probably built "to last"

Luftwaffe: Loads of temporary batteries only built by earthwalls or wood.... Same batteries found with several positions. Allways moveable!

I guess you have seen many of my navy emplacements, so I`ll add a few Luftwaffe ones:

First a 88 battery at "Festung Lister":

This battery had 1 concrete emplacement and 3 earthed ones:

Erich

bunkers sites..........

Post by Erich » 11 Jan 2004 01:42

Great shots again Erik ! 8)

a little off topic but how close is the airfield of Lister to these sites ? Lister was an important jump off point for German night fighters in late war.

~E

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 11 Jan 2004 02:45

"Festung Lister" was only about 500 Km`s from Scotland, thus making it the closest airbase frm GB in late 1944! The whole area is still heavily fortified with German installations!

(Hint)(Try searching for Lista in this forum)

Erik E

Arensburger

Post by Arensburger » 11 Jan 2004 15:46

Russian example from Estonian island of Hiiumaa (Dagö)
http://www.mil.hiiumaa.ee/kukeraba/loimastu_2.html
and same type in far east (near Vladivostok)
http://www.fortress.bosfor.ru/image/for ... ndex.shtml

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 11 Jan 2004 17:30

how close is the airfield of Lister to these sites

The runway is only a kilometer from this particular battery. Several light batteries, and 2 more heavy batteries, were located even closer.

Normally these airports were protected by a surrounding belt of heavy batteries, and with light batteries inside the target area.
In allmost every location, the batteries are placed to be able to participate in ground fighting

Often on beaches, these batteries are found within heavy concrete bunkers, making it a perfect weapon against landing attemtps. Here in Stavanger, very much of the shoredefence was actually carried out by Luftwaffe flak batteries!

A few examples:

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”