Artillery in Normandy 6.6.1944

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
RichTO90

Re: Artillery in Normandy 6.6.1944

Post by RichTO90 » 24 Nov 2014, 20:43

gary-1944 wrote:I am reasonably able to absorb most things… even sarcasm..
It wasn't sarcasm Gary; I seriously think you have difficulty absorbing information that doesn't confirm everything you already believe.
As you ask…the point is a broader one that might not seem obvious to you as the discussion actually are long standing (10 years long-standing with some individuals) on other forums - but they are in a similar vein here … the Atlantic Wall Forum for example debated originally that Maisy didn't exist because it was not in peoples paperwork, therefore the Rangers had no role it in… after all, Maisy had not appeared in any books - so it could not be relevant... Alaine Chazette famously stated in his seriously great book on the Atlantic Wall that "Maisy played no part in D-day" - how wrong can you get - but people believe it - because it was written down.
No, its very obvious to me what your broad point is and I have followed it for some time now. So Atlantic Wall Forum denied that WN 83 and 84 existed? How did they account for the missing number sequence in the WN then? Did they deny that an engagement occurred on 9 June as well? Could you post links to these denials please?

Alaine is quite correct in a direct sense - Maisy could not directly fire on any of the landing beaches on 6 June. OTOH, he is incorrect in an indirect sense, since its artillery batteries likely indirectly intervened, which is what field artillery normally does. However, unfortunately we do not have the firing records for any of the German field artillery batteries that fired on D-Day, so in a literal sense you could say none of them "played a part". Except they all of course played a part and Maisy's was no more unique than any others in that respect.
A lot changed when the Ranger veterans came back to Normandy, and described their part in the Maisy battle. And over the years the arguments changed and are often coming from the same people … "we have no hospitals"… then "we have no AA guns" etc. The calibre of the guns is a popular one (even though we were digging up live shell cases as proof of calibre)… etc. etc. etc.
So now everyone denied an engagement was fought at Maisy? Until Ranger veterans came back? Wasn't that in 1945? So this denial only existed for a little over a year?
The reason I posted the DSC winners is to make the rather obvious point that literally hundreds of German prisoners were captured on a site which contained - for example… the largest minefield in the US area on D-day. The largest concentration of AA guns (Flak Btn No 1 - who sent 1,000 men to guard Maisy on the 5th of June)… and the largest grouping of cannon and howitzers in the US invasion area. And yet I can guarantee that 99% of the books you have - and think are good ones - will not even mention Maisy in the index. Go and look and see if I am wrong. And that includes all the "best selling works so far written specifically about the Rangers"… The point you can surely absorb, is that paperwork is itself often flawed.
I am afraid you haven't made that point - obvious or not. Yes, hundreds of German prisoners were captured on 9 June. No, you have not shown how many of those were at Maisy. It may well be that most of them, if not all, were captured there, but the "evidence" you have provided doesn't show that.

Really? "1,000 men" of "Flak Btn No 1" were sent to "guard Maisy"? What is the source for that information, including the identity of the battalion? Are you referring to gem. Flak-Abteilung 266, which became I./Flak-Sturm Regiment 1 on 26 June? The entire regiment, also including gem. Flak-Abteilung 497 and le. Flak-Abteilung 90 moved to the area between Isigny and Bayeaux prior to 6 June. That doesn't mean the entire regiment was at Maisy, or even an entire battalion. So so me evidence other than your assertion please.

BTW, I don't know if they were "the largest grouping of cannons and howitzers" and offhand have little interest in checking, since such a factoid is irrelevant - and sometimes counterproductive - for field artillery.

Also BTW, please give some examples of the "flawed paperwork". Cross-Channel Attack mentions the Maisy engagement in passing on page 356 and its also mentioned in OMAHA Beachhead and any number of other works I can easily refer you to. However, the engagement at Maisy does tend to get overshadowed by the larger events before and after it. So do many other events.
So - to make the point a little more bluntly…. Maisy has continually been under-estimated by historians and Forum members for years. I see and hear lots of people making statements about what happened there, who was where etc. but every time we find new evidence emerging, the arguments simply change. So many people have never visited the site - so they havent got a clue how big the place is.
Oddly enough, I haven't been there either, but oddly enough I can look at a map or at Google Earth and measure how big it was. Again, so what? What makes it so unique in size and composition?
The classic example of that was last December 2013. The 1st Infantry Division orders for the US Army Rangers were released by the US National Archives and we can now all see Colonel Rudders actual orders for D-day. Which do not include an order to "block the Grandcamp highway" behind Pointe du Hoc as appears in all books on the subject … but Col Rudders orders DO include orders for an assault on Maisy - which does not appear in any book on the subject. Why is that…? If you read his Biography - called RUDDER - he was apparently driving around Grandcamp on the 9th in a jeep greeting people… when in reality the rest of the 5th Btn and members of the 2nd Btn were fighting at Maisy, along with the tanks, half tracks and air support.
You're serious? We could "all see Colonel Rudder's actual orders for D-day" long before December 2013. The orders and AAR were declassified c. 1969 and have been available at NARA since c. 1976 when the Pentagon deposited the bulk of the Adjutant General's reports for World War II at Suitland in 1976. I think the first time I ran across them was in circa 1987-1988 at DMSi/HERO as a photocopy in one of the working files there. Since then I've seen the originals and copied the AAR at NARA II College Park c. 1999-2000, when I first noticed it was misfiled.

So what the heck do you think you are talking about?
So up until that set of orders was published EVERY single piece of paper, book, report, TV documentary had it wrong… and yet, I am being told here that there is no way that the 10th battery was at Maisy?
What in the heck are you talking about? Had what wrong? The engagement at Maisy appears in OMAHA Beachhead and Cross-Channel Attack and any number of other sources.

There was a battery at Maisy at position 16A… it is was not the 10th Battery of the 716th then great - I am not hung up on that …but I would love someone to tell me who it was.
I am not sure that we can accept purely what is written down in an archive as being what was happening on the day. There are too many discrepancies with the physical evidence in relation to the paperwork all across Normandy.
Uh...huh?
Another example is this… I have been trying to find out what the battery in Osmanville was which wounded some guys from the Rangers on the evening of the 9th ? I don't know what the guns were. I know where they were and I have sat in the house of a man wounded whilst trying to destroy them. But cannot find any paperwork.
So you "don't know where they were", but they were a "battery in Osmanville"? Seriously?
Another… I have copies of an 8 page personal interview carried out with Colonel Werner Von Kistowski by Cornelius Ryan in 1953 which clearly states that Kistowski was being shelled in a foxhole with his men at Maisy on D-day. He stated he was "losing 50 men per hour during the bombardment"…. Yet, on a forum recently I saw a written report stating that he was in Bayeux with his men. It was wrong and my guess is that the paperwork did not catch back up with events on the day.

When I can - I build my ideas from the physical evidence on the ground. The destruction of 16A comes from reports of the navy firing and the spotter plane pilots reporting back after the fact - all whom say there was a battery of guns destroyed at position 16A. In my humble opinion, the guns were 150mm in calibre based on the evidence found in the soil, and you will notice that there is a question mark as to the calibre of the guns at 16A on some maps. Some reports mark them as 75mm and yet we find 150mm pieces and not 75mm pieces. Others say they were moved guns from 16 - but there were guns were destroyed at the back of the 16 casements.
Do you actually read what you write? You "build from the physical evidence on the ground" but your information on the destruction of 16A "comes from reports"? If you found a cannon ball dropped on the march to Formigny would you also develop the humble opinion that demi-cannon were fired at U.S. forces on D-Day?

You have been told what batteries were assigned there and what their armament was numerous times. And indeed it is possible that a 15cm battery was there sometime, but no proof they were there on 9 June.
At La Martiniere… I have photographs of Czech 100mm guns after the battle behind the casements, but we find 105mm German shell cases in the ground where they stood. What would you believe - the paperwork stating they are 100mm guns or the physical evidence indicating that they were bored out to 105mm to standardise ammunition.
I would believe what I know - and no such thing happened - they were not "bored out" to anything. Were these finds measured as 105mm or are you going from case stampings? And, yet again, such a find simply doesn't preclude any of the 10.5cm le.F.H. batteries from being there at one time or another.
I take your point that the wheels could have been lost there… but under what conditions would a set of fully working wheels just be left behind… unless in combat. Your average Artillery officer would not be leaving his gun wheels in a field without someone asking how he moved his guns without them. Once the position was overrun the Germans never re-occupied the place.
No prime movers, unable to withdraw pieces, piece damaged, abandoned, out of ammunition, site used by U.S. forces as Ordnance dump temporarily, etc.
If we use paperwork to guarantee what people and units were doing, then I think there are times when we do not have a full picture. We should not ignore the evidence on the ground.

The video of the battery behind Omaha has been around for a few years and is a great piece of first hand evidence.
Indeed, a great piece of first hand evidence filmed by an American Signal Corps photographer after the fact. So not "first hand" WRT to the engagement at Maisy, but first hand when he filmed it.

bunker14

Post by bunker14 » 25 Nov 2014, 11:34

gary-1944 wrote:.
Some people like Bunker 14 - for example over the years suggested that nothing happened at Maisy. So just for him, Patrick and Franck here are the Distinguished Service Cross awards for Rangers at Maisy… not awarded by me, but awarded by the office of the President of the United States of America.
I never said that!!! of course there has been fighting after D-day on Maisy
I just said you make mistake about bunkers and guns
gary-1944 wrote: There was a battery at Maisy at position 16A… it is was not the 10th Battery of the 716th then great - I am not hung up on that …but I would love someone to tell me who it was.
Another example is this… I have been trying to find out what the battery in Osmanville was which wounded some guys from the Rangers on the evening of the 9th ? I don't know what the guns were. I know where they were and I have sat in the house of a man wounded whilst trying to destroy them. But cannot find any paperwork.
So the battery in Osmanville was the 6 AR./352 (II./325 AR)

the "16A" was the position of the 8/1716 in March / April 1944 during the building of the bunkers R612 to protect them from bombing (as at the Pointe du Hoc or Vers sur mer, Riva Bella/Ouistreham)

On this German map from April 1944, the 8/1716 is placed at the "16A"

In June 6, 1944 three Bunkers R612 are completed, so three of 10cm 14/19 (t) are probably in place at Wn84?
So it can remains one 10cm 14/19 (t) at point 16A awaiting the fourth R612 was completed?

the gsgs map shows that the wn 84 was empty in march 1944 (no guns)

on this map:
For the 16A, in red "gun being moved into 16"
so, 16A was the position of the 8/1716 before being placed in the R612 after March 1944

gary-1944

Post by gary-1944 » 25 Nov 2014, 14:21

You have hit the nail on the head… you have not ever visited the site… so how can you knowledgeably say what was there or not.

The debate about what was and was not at Maisy continued for a long time and throughout it was punctuated by people stating that because it was not on their maps, or in their paperwork - then there was nothing there.

You are admitting that in effect yourself. You are telling me that I might be wrong… but you havent been and seen what is there. I am more than happy to be wrong about everything, because I will learn from that. But, there have been dozens of examples were people have argued that their map dosent contain information and yet we have the evidence to the contrary… and I am therefore deluded, wrong or inaccurate for arguing the point.

This has happened over their being hospitals at Maisy… Rangers involved in fighting there and to real make the point.. you are not suggesting that the figures for the Flak Battalion are incorrect.

The "evidence" for that is held in the Cornelius Ryan Archive of the Ohio State University and if you email Doug McCabe (custodian of the Ryan collection) I am sure he will be happy to give you a copy of Werner von Kistowski's interview with Ryan in 1953. It very clearly states which groups of men, equipment and types of AA guns (including 88's) were sent to Maisy. He was sent with HALF of the battalion to Maisy on the 5th of June. That is his words not mine. His Battalion was sent to La Cambe (2,500 men) and "half" (1,000 of them - less cooks and staff - were sent to Maisy.

Another huge debate about Maisy on the other forums was the number of AA guns and if there were 88's in the area… there were - but as they do not appear on maps - then I am regularly told they were not there. If you search the "Maisy debate" on the aforementioned forum you will see that people were laughing about their being 88mm AA guns in Maisy - and yet 10 years later they are listed with positions in my book. Not including the 88's that Kistowski brought to Maisy.

Here is the detail for that….

The following is based on an interview in 1954 with Colonel Werner von Kistowki. He was commander of Flak Assault Regiment No. 1 attached to the 3rd Flak Corps. It was fully motorised and it consisted of three artillery groups, the 497th, a mixed group, the 226th, also a mixed group, and the 90th, a light anti-aircraft group. The two mixed groups had five batteries in all, and the light group had three batteries. Each of the two mixed groups had three batteries apiece. These had in them four 88s, nine 37mm and twelve 20mm. The light battery had 37mm and 20mm guns.
The entire Flak Regiment had 2,500 men with approximately 600 men to each battery and 100 attached to headquarters and general duties, such as cooks and so on. Not all these men were gunners, of course. They were protective infantry which guarded the batteries. Flak Assault Regiment I arrived on 5 June in the morning at La Cambe, which was their headquarters, and it was to position at the mouth of the Vire at Grandcamp.

The light group of batteries were placed at the mouth [of the Vire Estuary – at La Martiniere] and the mixed groups were placed at Maisy and stretched across to the outskirts of the town itself of Grandcamp.
There had been no mention of the invasion, however. Kistowski was told his unit was being moved because of the continual bombing attacks and the planes seemed to be swinging over Grandcamp as they made their runs into and from the Continent. They dug in on the 5th, ‘just foxholes and camouflaged tents’.
On the evening of the 5th the Colonel drove to St Lo to the headquarters of the 84th Corps under the command of General Marcks. He went there for a specific reason. He had been warned that he should be ready to move again soon and since he had used up all his gasoline he needed new supplies. He saw the Chief of Staff, a Colonel Von Criegern and the Quartermaster General and requested gasoline. It was a requirement that he must always have 33,000 litres of gasoline – that was enough for a hundred kilometres and his motorised vehicles could not use synthetic gasoline.
It was about 2200hr when he got the okay on the supplies and then he set out for his headquarters at about 2300hr. It was as he was driving back towards La Cambe that he saw the ‘Christmas Trees’, the flares that had been dropped by aircraft and were hanging in the sky floating down to earth. He said to his engineering officer who was with him, a certain Lieutenant Colonel Busche, ‘Busche, I think this mess is starting.’ The bunches of Christmas Trees hung all the way from Carentan to the mouth of the river at Grandcamp. They drove very slowly as they headed for his headquarters. Then he heard his guns firing and he could see the flashes in the distance.
At about 0145hr he sent out a pre-arranged signal to 84th Corps, ‘LL’, meaning that the invasion had begun. At 0148hr he received a telephone call from the 90th Artillery group (at Maisy) that the first POWs – paratroopers – had been taken. There were four prisoners and, ‘This was immediately followed by another seventeen near Maisy ... These paratroopers fell on a battery between Maisy and GefosseFontenay’. He wasn’t sure whether they were paratroopers or bomber crews that had parachuted down to earth.

Meanwhile, Colonel Kistowski decided that he had time to write to his wife Ruth, who lived near Bonne. He had taken a room in a nearby farmhouse so he wasn’t living in a tent. As he wrote he heard the pounding of the waves of bombers as they flew over and it began to get louder and louder to such an extent that halfway through the letter he wrote: ‘Darling, I must stop now because the bombs are coming too close.’
There were more reports of paratroopers landing so Kistowski drove to Maisy to see for himself what was going on. He described the bombing as ‘absolutely hideous – it was just murder’. His men cowered in foxholes and the bombs laid pattern after pattern across their positions. He and his men did not think they could possibly survive the pounding. When they climbed out of these holes, they were absolutely shivering but every time they thought it was going to stop, another wave of planes would come in and no sooner had the air bombardment ceased then the naval bombardment, which was much worse, began.
All the time in his foxhole Kistowski was able to follow the path of the gliders as they were towed in over the mouth of the River Vire passing over Grandcamp. All the time he thought to himself, ‘If only this foxhole was smaller’. The foxhole itself seemed to him much too wide and he felt that every shell, every bomb that fell was aimed at him.
Instinctively Kistowski tried to make himself as small as possible. In fact as he put it, he was trying to duck and crawl inside his helmet. The moment it let up he lifted his head out of the foxhole and yelled to his communications officer, ‘Schmidt, are you still there?’ Next he called his adjutant, 1st Lieutenant Gelaubrech, ‘Are you still alive?’ He was astonished to discover that they were. The bombs he remembered were dropped by the air force and were a special type that detonated just above the ground. This is substantiated by the Allied air force reports that they were dropping air-burst bombs on targets on D-Day to clear mine fields and wire emplacements – today they are known as ‘Daisy Cutters’. He thought how much worse this was than the forty days of bombing night after night he had experienced in Berlin in 1943. Lieutenant Schmidt said to him afterwards, ‘Colonel, now I know what my wife is going though in the Ruhr.’
When it all stopped the air was filled with the acrid smell of cordite, both from his own guns and the explosives. Very slowly they came up from their foxholes and even more slowly looked around. The Colonel stood up and one by one he saw heads appearing. Everybody was black and covered with dust and everybody was trembling. Some looked around cautiously, some were braver than others and stood up and stretched. Then everybody got out of the foxholes and washed.
The entire Flak Regiment had lost only one man killed and three wounded at that time. He was absolutely amazed. He drove across to Grandcamp and there for the first time he realised the terrible bombardment they had just experienced because of the huge craters that covered the ground.
It was while Kistowski was at Grandcamp that he happened to look out to sea and there to his amazement he too saw the fleet on the horizon steadily steaming towards the coast. Quickly he drove back to his guns and just as he did the naval bombardment began again. Because he had been a former naval officer, he knew how devastating the naval bombardment could be. He knew that it was laid out in squares and that whole areas would automatically be covered, so he ‘drove like hell’ back to his positions. During this naval bombardment, he had one 88mm gun destroyed and four or five other smaller ones, and there were terrific casualties among his men. He forgot what the casualties were, but he said it was more than a hundred.
Now Kistowski found that he had no communications except for one radio set. At the time he thought this was due to the ‘Daisy Cutters’, but the real damage was done by naval shelling. It was different from the air bombardment and was absolutely ‘devastating’. Now he fully expected the invasion as he watched the fleet come in closer. He ordered his communications officers out on the coast with a small radio to act as an observation post for his 88mm guns.
This goes some way to providing an understanding of how the guns at Maisy were still able to operate. By this time many of the Germans’ conventional observation posts had been destroyed. Kistowski’s men would have had a clear view of the Utah and a partial view of the Omaha landing sectors from this area because of the high ground.
The terrible situation which the Colonel found himself in was one of being caught squarely in the middle, along the seam between both Utah and Omaha Beaches and his guns could not hit the beaches where the landings were taking place. He could not depress his guns sufficiently to reach these areas and anyway the boats were too far away for his guns to have any effect.
This is interesting because in 99 per cent of interviews with the Rangers they state that they were coming under fire from 88s when in most cases – for example on the beaches and the approaches – it would have been from heavier calibre guns. For example, the 75mms (Pak 40s) situated on Omaha Beach were designed to fire laterally to the beach and not out to sea, or on the beach approaches.
Kistowski was caught in the middle and he remembered saying to his communications officer, ‘Damm it, if only we were a bit to the right, or the left we would show them’. He never did finish his letter to his wife. He couldn’t hear his own voice that morning because of the shelling that was taking place.
Kistowski’s guns ‘fired right, left and centre’ at the hundreds of planes that came over and by the end of that day he was able to record that his light battery had shot down the following:
01:38 a B-26.
01:42 a B-26.
06:10 Two Lightnings. 09:15 a Thunderbolt. 10:00 a Thunderbolt. 04:15 a Mustang.
To the Colonel it was, ‘A very good day, a very good day indeed, one of the best.’ One of the planes came down near his headquarters quickly followed by a terrific fire as the plane’s ammunition exploded. Throughout this morning and afternoon, the Colonel was absolutely on his own with no communications with the 3rd Flak Corps, his headquarters, and the 84th Corps. General Marcks and the 7th Army had nothing whatsoever to do with them so he did not receive any orders.
On the afternoon of the 6th he decided to move his headquarters to Littry. He had sent one of his officers to Le Mans to telephone to the 3rd Corps to get more instructions and set off himself to co-ordinate his activities with those of the 352nd Infantry Division. The night of 6 June Kistowski moved out the battery at Maisy.

If you want more on Kistowski then buy the book. The Cover Up at Omaha Beach.

Alaine is quite correct in a direct sense - Maisy could not directly fire on any of the landing beaches on 6 June.
Completely wrong… read the book, look at the RANGES marked on the maps and read the reports - German Artillery - St. Lo discussing firing on the beach at Ravenoville and the approaching LCVP's… the Range of the Les Perruques guns cover the West end of Omaha Sector and up to Vierville - last time I checked that included the land in front of Grandcamp - Pointe du Hoc - Enqlesqueville and Vierville beach exit. All part of the OMAHA SECTOR.
Not to mention the Russian 7.65mm howitzer… range greater than Vierville and the gun from the battery at 16A.

Except they all of course played a part and Maisy's was no more unique than any others in that respect.
No other German gun battery fired at BOTH Utah and Omaha Beach… that makes it quite unique.

The British War Cabinet were given a ‘Summary of Operations of Bomber Command for Four Weeks ending 18th June 1944’ in a Downing Street meeting which stated: (this is a direct quote)...
Results of Operations
The great bulk of operations carried out during this period were designed to assist either directly or indirectly the establishment and maintenance of our forces ashore in Normandy and the reduction and hampering of the enemy force opposed to them.
Gun Positions and Coastal Batteries in France.
Bomber Command took a highly successful part in the attack of gun positions and coastal batteries in France during the period. Very good results were obtained on Beaumont, Trouville, Eu, Le Clipon, Neufchatel and St. Vallery-en-Caux. On the eve of D-Day attacks were carried out by 1,136 aircraft on 10 coastal batteries to such good effect that, with the sole exception of the battery at Maisy, not a single battery was able to offer any serious resistance to the invading forces.

That I assume is also a unique a proposition for German artillery.
A lot changed when the Ranger veterans came back to Normandy, and described their part in the Maisy battle. And over the years the arguments changed and are often coming from the same people … "we have no hospitals"… then "we have no AA guns" etc. The calibre of the guns is a popular one (even though we were digging up live shell cases as proof of calibre)… etc. etc. etc.
I am afraid you haven't made that point - obvious or not. Yes, hundreds of German prisoners were captured on 9 June. No, you have not shown how many of those were at Maisy. You will notice that the After Action Reports state a 6 figure grid reference… which is slap bang in the centre of the Les Perruques battery… it cannot be mistaken for any other place because of that.

Really? "1,000 men" of "Flak Btn No 1" were sent to "guard Maisy"? What is the source for that information, including the identity of the battalion? Are you referring to gem. Flak-Abteilung 266, which became I./Flak-Sturm Regiment 1 on 26 June? The entire regiment, also including gem. Flak-Abteilung 497 and le. Flak-Abteilung 90 moved to the area between Isigny and Bayeaux prior to 6 June. Again you prove the point… there is documentary evidence in the form of a real life interview with the man concerned - stating that he was at Maisy on D-day. It conflicts with what you are reading somewhere - but it does not make it wrong.

BTW, I don't know if they were "the largest grouping of cannons and howitzers" and offhand have little interest in checking, since such a factoid is irrelevant - and sometimes counterproductive - for field artillery. Not really, if you want to know if something was significant or not. How many firing field guns were at Pointe du Hoc on D-day… ZER0 field guns firing

Also BTW, please give some examples of the "flawed paperwork". Cross-Channel Attack mentions the Maisy engagement in passing on page 356 Published in 2013 - 6 years after the site first appeared in the newspapers. and its also mentioned in OMAHA Beachhead a reprint of a wartime document. Go and look in the US National Archives and you will find millions of EX-Top Secret documentation covering Maisy. But where are all the modern last 60 year books on the subject.?and any number of other works I can easily refer you to. Please do so… I would love to see something giving detail of the Maisy site and battle written before 2004.However, the engagement at Maisy does tend to get overshadowed by the larger events before and after it. So do many other events. I quite agree.

Oddly enough, I haven't been there either, but oddly enough I can look at a map or at Google Earth and measure how big it was. Again, so what? What makes it so unique in size and composition? Where it is located… simple as that. Of and the 144 Acre Minefield around it… which you can't see on Google earth.

The orders and AAR were declassified c. 1969 and have been available at NARA since c. 1976 when the Pentagon deposited the bulk of the Adjutant General's reports for World War II at Suitland in 1976. I think the first time I ran across them was in circa 1987-1988 at DMSi/HERO as a photocopy in one of the working files there. Since then I've seen the originals and copied the AAR at NARA II College Park c. 1999-2000, when I first noticed it was misfiled. You're serious? We could "all see Colonel Rudder's actual orders for D-day" long before December 2013.Wrong. The orders circulating are not those given to Rudder. The orders for Rudder including the full brief for the Rangers were FIRST released in December 2012 when they were de-classified. It is marked on the top of the page by NARA with their release date.So what the heck do you think you are talking about? Read the de-classification date. 1st Inf. Div orders.
So up until that set of orders was published EVERY single piece of paper, book, report, TV documentary had it wrong… and yet, I am being told here that there is no way that the 10th battery was at Maisy?

What in the heck are you talking about? Had what wrong? The engagement at Maisy appears in OMAHA Beachhead and Cross-Channel Attack and any number of other sources. So I have written a book about nothing then obviously… …after if it has clearly all been written about before then nobody would be buying the book..… I would love to see anything about Maisy written in any detail (and not by the army in 1944) - written before 2004 - it just dosent exist.

So you "don't know where they were", but they were a "battery in Osmanville"? Seriously? wrong grammar and you know what I meant - if you are picking up on that then the foreign contributors need to watch out..

Do you actually read what you write? You "build from the physical evidence on the ground" but your information on the destruction of 16A "comes from reports"? If you found a cannon ball dropped on the march to Formigny would you also develop the humble opinion that demi-cannon were fired at U.S. forces on D-Day? See above…. Kistowski was pretty much alive when he conducted his interview with Ryan… not me reading about it in a book or misinterpreting it… but Kistowski telling his own experiences as a live person. First hand evidence - not paperwork. Perhaps the cannon ball hit you on the way down and you missed that bit ?

You have been told what batteries were assigned there... I already know who and what was assigned there… I have dug up the body of German officer still wearing completely legible dog tags - so I have the physical evidence to tell me. Have you any physical evidence other than your books ? ..and what their armament was numerous times. And indeed it is possible that a 15cm battery was there sometime, but no proof they were there on 9 June. Other than the US Navy with NARA documented Air Support destroyed the gun position after D-day and of course the large very heavy 150mm wheels I dug up … They are marked on the GSGS maps from March as being there until the day they were destroyed and the US Naval Intelligence report dated July 23rd written for Admiral Hall states that there were THREE batteries at Maisy… and they went to see for themselves then. Targets 5, 16 and 16A.

So the wheels have lay for 60+ years where they fought … not moved etc. Also no ammo dump at that location after the war. They are all marked on US Engineering plans post D-day.

No prime movers, unable to withdraw pieces, piece damaged, abandoned, out of ammunition, site used by U.S. forces as Ordnance dump temporarily, etc. good speculation but no evidence physical or not to prove it

The video of the battery behind Omaha has been around for a few years and is a great piece of first hand evidence.[/quote]

Indeed, a great piece of first hand evidence filmed by an American Signal Corps photographer after the fact. So not "first hand" WRT to the engagement at Maisy, but first hand when he filmed it.[/quote] Obviously not relevant to Maisy - but as good as you can get to tell you what was there in the area. The point I was making is that it really shows you what was there.. not tells you - a big difference.

Great debate… but as you say - you have never been to Maisy. So with all due respect you cannot know as much as people who have. The book covers most of it and it is mainly new information… not stuff I have put on forums etc. I gave up doing that some years ago and will do the same now.

Good luck with the debate. If anyone can give me the unit number etc. for the guns at Osmanville I would love to have it and anyone with any information on battery 16A at Maisy I would appreciate it. But no more verbal tennis - good luck to you and your books and don't wear your armchair out. Come and visit Maisy if you ever get to Normandy and you never know, you might just be surprised at what you see. Bunker14 - you continue to amuse - but no longer excite…

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 25 Nov 2014, 15:49

gary-1944 wrote:You have hit the nail on the head… you have not every visited the site… so how can you knowledgeably say what was there or not.
I think we're done here Gary. You want to sell your site and book, and promote your "revelations" about how it was "forgotten" and the troops were "betrayed". You want to sensationalize history rather than understand what happened.
The debate about what was and was not at Maisy continued for a long time and throughout it was punctuated by people stating that because it was not on their maps, or in their paperwork - then there was nothing there.
Never happened here, never happened with me, so go peddle your whinging to someone else that may have told you that. Meanwhile, you continue to get quite a bit wrong and choose to ignore corrections.
You are admitting that in effect yourself. You are telling me that I might be wrong… but you havent been and seen what is there. I am more than happy to be wrong about everything, because I will learn from that. But, there have been dozens of examples were people have argued that their map dosent contain information and yet we have the evidence to the contrary… and I am therefore deluded, wrong or inaccurate for arguing the point.
Nonsense. I am telling you that what you consider irrefutable evidence simply isn't. Yes, various artillery pieces could have been there as well as troops from many different units at different times, but that doesn't mean they were all there at the same time on 9 June, which seems to be your premise. Military units move.
This has happened over their being hospitals at Maisy… Rangers involved in fighting there and to real make the point.. you are not suggesting that the figures for the Flak Battalion are incorrect.
A military "hospital" is wherever soldiers are treated. Why do you believe the "hospital" at Maisy was so critical to events" How many beds did it have. Surgical rooms? What medical doctors were stationed there?

Insofar as the Flak Battalion goes I am interested in what evidence you have for it. The identification is corrupted for one.
The "evidence" for that is held in the Cornelius Ryan Archive of the Ohio State University and if you email Doug McCabe (custodian of the Ryan collection) I am sure he will be happy to give you a copy of Werner von Kistowski's interview with Ryan in 1953. It very clearly states which groups of men, equipment and types of AA guns (including 88's) were sent to Maisy. He was sent with HALF of the battalion to Maisy on the 5th of June. That is his words not mine. His Battalion was sent to La Cambe (2,500 men) and "half" (1,000 of them - less cooks and staff - were sent to Maisy.
A gem.Flak-Abtl. did have 8.8cm guns, but it was not comprised of 2,500 men.
Another huge debate about Maisy on the other forums was the number of AA guns and if there were 88's in the area… there were - but as they do not appear on maps - then I am regularly told they were not there. If you search the "Maisy debate" on the aforementioned forum you will see that people were laughing about their being 88mm AA guns in Maisy - and yet 10 years later they are listed with positions in my book. Not including the 88's that Kistowski brought to Maisy.
I have little interest in what you have debated at other sites; I am interested in what we have discussed here.
Here is the detail for that….

The following is based on an interview in 1954 with Colonel Werner von Kistowki. He was commander of Flak Assault Regiment No. 1 attached to the 3rd Flak Corps. It was fully motorised and it consisted of three artillery groups, the 497th, a mixed group, the 226th, also a mixed group, and the 90th, a light anti-aircraft group. The two mixed groups had five batteries in all, and the light group had three batteries. Each of the two mixed groups had three batteries apiece. These had in them four 88s, nine 37mm and twelve 20mm. The light battery had 37mm and 20mm guns.
The entire Flak Regiment had 2,500 men with approximately 600 men to each battery and 100 attached to headquarters and general duties, such as cooks and so on. Not all these men were gunners, of course. They were protective infantry which guarded the batteries. Flak Assault Regiment I arrived on 5 June in the morning at La Cambe, which was their headquarters, and it was to position at the mouth of the Vire at Grandcamp.
Do you not note that this is information I already mentioned to you? Unfortunately though, you do not apparently yet know what all that means. A "mixed group" in that translation is a "gem.Flak-Abtielung" - a "battalion". They were comprised of three batteries, each of four 8.8cm guns, one battery of nine 3.7cm guns, and one battery of twelve 2cm guns (not "one battery" with both "37mm and 20mm guns"). The mixed battalions (not batteries) each were roughly 900 men, the light battalion (not battery) was about 600, and the regimental staff was 100. Yes, technically not all were gunners, but they were also not "infantry", just because they were equipped with small arms. Indeed the regiment was deployed forward, as part of a general realignment of III Flak Korps, which was newly formed.
The light group of batteries were placed at the mouth [of the Vire Estuary – at La Martiniere] and the mixed groups were placed at Maisy and stretched across to the outskirts of the town itself of Grandcamp.
Indeed, George Bernage noted that quite a while ago. However, such a late move did not appear on Allied situation maps for obvious reasons.
If you want more on Kistowski then buy the book.
No, interesting details, but it simply confirmed what I already knew, Flak-Sturm Regiment 1 was in the vicinity Maisy-Grandcamp-mouth of the Vire.
Completely wrong… read the book, look at the RANGES marked on the maps and read the reports - German Artillery - St. Lo discussing firing on the beach at Ravenoville and the approaching LCVP's… the Range of the Les Perruques guns cover the West end of Omaha Sector and up to Vierville - last time I checked that included the land in front of Grandcamp - Pointe du Hoc - Enqlesqueville and Vierville beach exit.
Not to meting the Russian 7.65mm howitzer… range greater than Vierville and the battery at 16A.
No, sorry, you simply do not understand the distinction being drawn.
No other German gun battery fired at BOTH Utah and Omaha Beach… that makes it Unique.
Okay, so they dispersed their fire. How does that impact either UTAH or OMAHA?
with the sole exception of the battery at Maisy, not a single battery was able to offer any serious resistance to the invading forces.

That I assume is also a unique proposition for German artillery.
No, because unfortunately we know that most of the German artillery was untouched and played a significant role inflicting the casualties on OMAHA. The fire of the Maisy batteries, when they weren't firing on UTAH, added to that fire, but they did not uniquely fire on OMAHA.
You will notice that the After Action Reports state a 6 figure grid reference… which is slap bang in the centre of the Les Perruques battery… it cannot be mistaken for any other place because of that.
But that is where the action was primarily fought on 9 June. It does not indicate where various prisoners on 9 June were taken. You need to look at the battalion and regimental S-2 PW interrogation reports to get a real sense of that.
Again you prove the point… there is documentary evidence in the form of a real life interview with the man concerned - stating that he was at Maisy on D-day. It conflicts with what you are reading somewhere - but it does not make it wrong.
You seemed to think that I was unaware that they were in the vicinity. You also still are confused about their organization.
Not really, if you want to know if something was significant or not. How many firing field guns were at Pointe du Hoc on D-day… ZER0
Again, you seem to think that is a factoid that I and others was unaware of, but it isn't. More important than the coast artillery battery at Pointe du Hoc were the field batteries assigned and attached to 352. Inf.-Div., which include those at Maisy, but which are also not exclusive to those at Maisy.
Published in 2013 - 6 years after the site first appeared in the newspapers. and its also mentioned in OMAHA Beachhead a reprint of a wartime document. Go and look in the US National Archives and you will find millions of EX-Top Secret documentation covering Maisy. But where are all the modern last 60 year books on the subject.?and any number of other works I can easily refer you to. Please do so… I would love to see something giving detail of the Maisy site and battle written before 2004.However, the engagement at Maisy does tend to get overshadowed by the larger events before and after it. So do many other events. I quite agree.
Are you really and truly THAT ignorant of your subject? I suggest you recheck when Cross-Channel Attack was printed.

BTW, its odd that I've spent quite a bit of the last 27 years looking at first Suitland and then College Park, including going through the archived OCMH authors files, as well as those of the Rangers - the Provisional Ranger Group AAR for D-Day is fairly short and uninformative, the 1st and 29th ID, along with its assigned and attached units and so forth, and yet I have never run across this amazing trove of millions of documents that deal with Maisy?
Where it is located… simple as that.
How does "where it is located" bear on its size and military significance?
Wrong. The orders circulating are not those given to Rudder. The orders for Rudder including the full brief for the Rangers were FIRST released in December 2012 when they were de-classified. It is marked on the top of the page by NARA with their release date.[/b]So what the heck do you think you are talking about? Read the de-classification date. 1st Inf. Div orders.

So you were at College Park in 2012? Sorry, but that is not when those records were declassified. That is when you looked at them. The DECLASS date is as stated in the particular Executive Order identified by the NND number on the DECLASS sticker you were required to include in the copies you reproduced. For RG 407, Entry 427, the main series declassification is NND 735017, under Executive Order 12356, which is dated 3 April 1982.

So I have written a book about nothing…after all it has clearly all been written about before… I would love to see anything about Maisy written (not by the army in 1944) before 2004 - it dosent exist.

Why does 1945 (OMAHA Beachhead was not written in 1944) and 1951, the dates of the first two major works on D-Day, not count? And why "2004" other than that is when you "rediscovered" it - most never heard of you and your discovery until a few years ago when you started your self-promotion campaign. Anyway, Patrice Boussel D-Day Beaches Revisited (1966), mentioned it in passing, and there are likely others, but it is one of many engagements, some larger and some smaller that also get passed over.

wrong grammar and you know what I meant - if you are picking up on that then the foreign contributors need to watch out..

No, I did not know what you meant. Why are the batteries at Masiy more important than all the other batteries in the vicinity?

See above…. Kistowski was pretty much alive when he conducted his interview with Ryan… not me reading about it or misinterpreting it… but Kistowski telling his own experiences. First hand evidence - not paperwork. Perhaps the cannon ball hit you on the way down ?

Again, do you read what you write? Kistowski commanded a Flak Regiment, not an artillery battery, and it would be a first if his Flak Regiment was equipped with 15cm s.F.H.

I already know who and what was assigned there… I have dug up the body of German officer still wearing his dog tags...Other than the US Navy with NARA documented Air Support destroyed the gun position after D-day… which means that from the point they become marked on GSGS maps (March) until the day they were destroyed. So they lay where they lived… not moved etc. Also no ammo dump there after the war. They are all marked on US Engineering plans post D-day.

So the USN identified the target as a 15cm s.F.H.? Or did the "NARA documented Air Support" (a bit odd since Air Force operational records are at Maxwell) identify them as such? Also, have you not noted that in fact they did indeed "moved"? That is the point of the controversy about what was there and when.

BTW, an "Ordnance dump" is not an ASP; I was referring to the numerous Ordnance collecting points, some of which have been well documented and some of which have not.

Obviously not relevant to Maisy - but as good as you can get to tell you what was there.

Oh dear, really? So the German's own records are not as good as that?

Great debate… but as you say - you have never been to Maisy. So with all due respect you cannot know as much as people who have seen it, seen what is there and studied way Maisy is positioned where it is. The book covers it and it is mainly new information… not stuff I have put on forums etc. I gave up doing that some years ago and will do the same now.

Oddly enough, with all due respect, I've seen your book, and believe rather the opposite. With all due respect in return, you are a sensationalist rather than a historian, and while it is laudable that you cover the engagement of 9 June, it is sad that you felt you had to continue to sensationalize rather than to present facts.

Good luck with the debate. If anyone can give me the unit number etc. for Osmanville I would love to have it and anyone with any information on battery 16A at Maisy I would appreciate it. But no more verbal tennis - good luck to you and your books. Come and visit Maisy if you ever get to Normandy you might just be surprised at what you see.

Again, the only "debate" seems to be in your mind. The likeliest explanation for "16A", which is not a German designation, was already given to you. The likeliest unit identifications also. Those seem to have more importance for you though than developing a coherent explanation for just what made the two field artillery positions as Maisy so important.

bunker14

Post by bunker14 » 25 Nov 2014, 16:17

gary-1944 wrote:You have hit the nail on the head… you have not ever visited the site… so how can you knowledgeably say what was there or not.
I have visited wn 84 and 83 befor and after restoration work i can put pictures
I know exactly wath bunkers still at Wn 83 or 84
You talking about map or paper but never , never show them.
gary-1944 wrote:Not to mention the Russian 7.65mm howitzer… range greater than Vierville and the gun from the battery at 16A.
If Russian it's 7.62 not 7.65… and not howitzer but FK or PAK
And "Cm" not "mm" because 7.65 mm is for a rifle…
gary-1944 wrote: No other German gun battery fired at BOTH Utah and Omaha Beach… that makes it quite unique. .
You forget the II./ 1352 artillerie regiment just km south of Maisy wo can fire on Utha or west part of Omaha "10,5cm leFH 18/40 ( firing range 12 325 m)"
gary-1944 wrote: If you found a cannon ball dropped on the march to Formigny would you also develop the humble opinion that demi-cannon were fired at U.S. forces on D-Day ?
No that juste remember me the Battle of Formigny 1450
gary-1944 wrote: … and they went to see for themselves then. Targets 5, 16 and 16A.
it is clearly marked on the document 16A Was removed to 16
GSGS map is No. 16 (wn84 Was emtpy) When Was gun's at 16A
gary-1944 wrote: Also no ammo dump at that location after the war
Yes there s one, visible on west sid of this pictures near R612
bunkers and the trenches are still visible in 1947
IGN 1947 and you can see bunkers and the trenches are still visible in 1947
gary-1944 wrote: If anyone can give me the unit number etc. for the guns at Osmanville
of course, it was the 6th battery of artillery regiment 352 with 4x 10,5cm leFH 18/40 as you can see on the german map
gary-1944 wrote: Bunker14 - you continue to amuse - but no longer excite…
Ho Gary i juste have to put this link to show which is the bunker- noobs
Your Pointe du HOC "mystery" is so funny … and so wrong
http://www.maisybattery.com/category/po ... s-mystery/
Last edited by bunker14 on 25 Nov 2014, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 25 Nov 2014, 16:37

bunker14 wrote:
gary-1944 wrote: If you found a cannon ball dropped on the march to Formigny would you also develop the humble opinion that demi-cannon were fired at U.S. forces on D-Day ?
No that juste remember me the Battle of Formigny 1450
To be fair that was me, trying to get Gary to understand that digging up a historical object does not provide date or context. :thumbsup:
gary-1944 wrote:Also no ammo dump at that location after the war
Yes there s one.. bunkers and the trenches are still visible in 1947[/quote]

Again, I was referring to the significance - or not - of finding the wheel of a 15cm s.F.H. at Maisy. If the location was used as an ordnance collection point it is even possible a wheel would have been left on site. :thumbsup:
Ho Gary i juste have to put this link to show which is the bunker- noobs
Your Pointe du HOC "mystery" is so funny … and so wrong
http://www.maisybattery.com/category/po ... s-mystery/
Wow! Just wow! So much miss-information is such a small space. :roll: :o 8O :? :lol:

Good to know the U.S. has a 60-year "Top secrecy act". :roll: :lol:
I guess all those "2,700 recently released" documents at NARA must have there own record group or entry? :roll: :lol:
Damn, I've been going there for 27 years and never realized all that stuff I was looking at was still classified. :roll: :lol:

BTW, have you actually looked at Gary's book? It's a real page-turner. :wink:

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 25 Nov 2014, 20:18

Normandy has become an amusement park and some people want to run a business there, don't blame Gary. It's an attraction not an historical museum.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 25 Nov 2014, 20:31

AvB wrote:Normandy has become an amusement park and some people want to run a business there, don't blame Gary. It's an attraction not an historical museum.
Of course, it was the same in 2000 when I was there too. I have no problem with Gary selling his attraction and/or his book. I sell my books too.

However, I do not think that part of that selling needs to be the spreading of misinformation or sensationalism. Nonsense such as prattling on about U.S. "60-year Top secret acts", releases of "millions of documents on Maisy" in 2012, "previously unreleased plans" only he is privy to, and the like are silly at best and detrimental to a better understanding of events at worse.

Plus, after years of corrections, Gary's understandings of the basics of German and American military organization, doctrine, and terminology remains unimproved. Since I have no evidence it is due to a lack of education or intelligence, I can only assume it is willfulness on his part. That is simply sad.

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 25 Nov 2014, 20:33

You're completely right. I was for some reason trying to understand his stubbornness. ;)

Manuferey

Post by Manuferey » 26 Nov 2014, 01:41

with the sole exception of the battery at Maisy, not a single battery was able to offer any serious resistance to the invading forces.
Just as reminder, on the Utah sector, MKB Marcouf and HKB 2./1261 (Azeville) resisted for several days. It took tanks to finally overcome Azeville' resistance and the crew of MKB Marcouf retreated at the end before the battery was captured.

Emmanuel

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 26 Nov 2014, 02:59

Manuferey wrote:
Just as reminder, on the Utah sector, MKB Marcouf and HKB 2./1261 (Azeville) resisted for several days. It took tanks to finally overcome Azeville' resistance and the crew of MKB Marcouf retreated at the end before the battery was captured.

Emmanuel
And just as another reminder, what the Allies thought were "coastal batteries" and what the Germans thought were "coastal batteries" were not always one in the same. And the same may be said about the assessment of field batteries. :lol: Given that reportedly most of the batteries of Art.-Regt. 1352 fired off their entire erste Munis-Ausstattung by the morning of 7 June, it isn't really all that remarkable that they were no longer able to resist. :lol:

Cheers!

Sean Claxton

Post by Sean Claxton » 26 Nov 2014, 19:02

Hello there,

Gary, if you’re still reading this thread…. This isn’t an attempt to have a pop at you, I am genuinely interested in your answers to a few questions.

On your blog, you wrote:
However, a little while later when the cameras had been switched, the guns were ordered to be removed and casements – (bombproof blockhouses for 10.5cm guns) – were ordered to be built on the same site. That is the part of history which has had historians and authors puzzled over the years. Indeed before Maisy was known to exist (for over 63 years) the site at Pointe du Hoc was logically thought – no, it was KNOWN – to have had big guns there….if it didn’t, then the Germans would have left a 20 mile long gap in their coastal defences… which would be inconceivable… and would make no sense to any author writing the history of D-day.”

1) Are the casemates at Pointe du Hoc not H694?
2) If they are, could not the H694 accommodate the French 15,5cm guns?

Not a question as such, but I think “was known to exist” is a bit misleading as the site has been known by some of those interested and, if I recall correctly marked on IGN maps with the “blockhaus” symbol for many years. Such phraseology I reckon may invite criticism.

The map you posted from May 1944 and subsequent comments:
So we can say without a shadow of a doubt the guns were known to have been removed. There are now not 6 individual guns marked on this map – but 4.
The fact that the four casements are marked as “under construction” etc etc…

1) Does it show four guns in position, two pits abandoned and four casemates under construction?
2) Do you think the four guns marked and the “four casemates under construction” are the same thing?

You wrote:
"Below…it shows 4 guns… under-construction – NOT 6 as is always reported. The box around the letter H indicates that they are casements. Not gun pits. The single guns have been removed from these intelligence maps – because these weapons were not there. The intelligence people have it 100% correct."

As above, doesn’t the map show four gun pits and four casemates ?

You wrote:
"As the casement took some months to build – then it is certain that no gun was operational on this pit anywhere near D-day – there would not have been room to have it there…. and it was certainly not just removed a “few days before D-day.” You can see the gun pit running under the casement – again a common and very obvious mistake in most books."

1) How long would it take to build an H694 using the newer block construction as opposed to shuttering and poured concrete?
2) Most books and documents that I have read suggest the guns were moved weeks rather than days before D-Day. Is that not the case?

You wrote:
"If you study the gun pits… etc etc…."

That the guns were not in the pits or casemates on D-Day is clear enough in my mind. That doesn't mean though that they weren't fairly close by and still potentially under the "control" of the observers at PdH.

1) How do you explain the photographs of Eisenhower et al visiting the guns in the small lane that lead to the orchard?
2) Or are these guns (of the same type as the PdH guns) at another location?

You wrote:
"In future posts – I will expand on this and produce the evidence to show who did know about Maisy and perhaps why they didn’t want it known about".

I very much look forward to it. Seriously.

For the record, I have visited the site. I spoke with Jim Gabaree there. It is an impressive site. I’m glad it’s not now a supermarket car park.

As for declassifying record, as stated, things change. What was once important isn’t so much now.

Finally, do you not think that by offering the “sensationalised” version you are inviting more criticism and negative attention than you might have got had you not done so? Again, a serious question.

AvB

Re Normandy being an amusement park. Particulary in June, yes, but if you avoid the obvious time of year and the obvious sites, it’s still OK, for the most part. :)

Cheers,

Sean

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 27 Nov 2014, 13:35

hello,
there is a beautiful German map color of 06/06/1944 a 22 hours with the diffèrent force german, go into battle ! fill it give help ?
Attachments
2014-11-27_123632.jpg

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 27 Nov 2014, 14:24

Hello Etienne

Could you show what the map shows for the particular area in question (Maisy area) please 8O :thumbsup:

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Manuferey

Post by Manuferey » 27 Nov 2014, 16:12

There is no doubt that mobile batteries of 8.8 cm Flak guns of gem.Flak-Abt. (mot) 497 of Flak-Regiment 32 (renamed Flak-Sturm Regiment 1 in mid-June 1944) of III Flak Korps, were positioned around Maisy on June 6, 1944. And it would make sense from a practical military standpoint for the Germans to use grounds already surrounded by barbed wires and minefields and with concrete personnel and ammunition shelters nearby, as much as possible to position some Flak batteries.

However, the presence of these heavy Flak batteries does not prove in my mind any particular significance of the Maisy batteries for the Germans based on the following information.

General Pickert, CO of III. Flak Korps, wrote in his debriefing to the Americans in 1947 (FMS B-597) :
- [Upon my nomination as CO on May 24, 1944] “I immediately undeavored to get the AA Corps out of his rigid commitment. I wanted to train and harden the men for their new tasks by a continually changing mobile commitment in areas over which there was heavy enemy air activity”.

This would indicate that the batteries of FR 32 would change positions regularly. That some batteries happened to be positioned around the Maisy batteries on June 6 would just be a coincidence. A few weeks or a month later, these Flak batteries would have been placed somewhere else.

In terms of commitment of FR 32 prior to D-Day, we have access to a few German documents (KTBs) :

- Order of May 28, 1944 for positioning of FR 32:
1) Northeast corner of Cotentin with the Pernelle height [Note: location of various Army coastal batteries and KM radar and heavily bombarded starting in May 44 - but no unit of FR 32 would ever reached this area by June 6]
2) Area northwest of Isigny
3) Orne Estuary
4) Northeast of Bayeux

- Report of June 4, 1944
« Flak-Regiment 32 with gem.Flak-Abt. (mot) 497 northeast of Isigny and le.Flak.Abt. 90 (Sf) in the Bayeux area, in firing positions since 6 am. »

No particular mention of "Maisy" as a specific area for AA protection in these two documents.

Emmanuel

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”