Stp Blei - ammunition markings (Ghyvelde)

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Andrzej Ditrich

Re: Stp Blei - ammunition markings (Ghyvelde)

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 13 Aug 2012, 23:02

myt1prod wrote:Now I seem to have the attention of the weaponexperts amongst you...
perhaps somebody knows what this was used for (it measures about 15cm to 15cm and, the ends are slightly bend and in the middle is a pin);
arnika art1.jpg
found these just a few metres away from this (wellknown) gunemplacement in the Stp. Arnika, also in Ghyvelde.
arnika art2.jpg
jean
Hi myt1prod,
Please compare Your foto with an article related to Flak emplacements:
http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/ger ... izsen.html
If You have any doubts it would be helpful to make simple sketch with few basic dimensions-this is the best way to find out: which gun could fit this emplacement.

Brgds
Andrzej

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 13 Aug 2012, 23:28

Hi Andrzej

Thanks for the link, it will take some time to investigate but this link will certainly proof usefull once I've done some measuring on the spot.
Underneath, a small photo I found of a gun standing in Ghyvelde. Sadly the baseplate of the possible emplacement is out of view, nore is it mentioned where exactly this gun was standing and which type it is. Of the three known positions in Ghyvelde de trees as shown in the picture do resemble the ones standing in the Stp. Arnika at the time (using photo's of operation Dynamo as a reference). Not sure if it's the same location though.
canon ghyvelde.jpg
canon ghyvelde.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
perhaps someone recognises this gun immediatly, otherwise it will take me some time to find out my self.

thanks 4 helping out
jean

TH

Post by TH » 13 Aug 2012, 23:52

myt1prod wrote:Now I seem to have the attention of the weaponexperts amongst you...
perhaps somebody knows what this was used for (it measures about 15cm to 15cm and, the ends are slightly bend and in the middle is a pin);
arnika art1.jpg
Possibly bases of iron barbed wire poles? The actual poles must have been cut off then.

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Aug 2012, 18:16

Hello Jean

The gun looks a French 95 mm G , maybe on the other side of the border ??

Regards Jos

Zünder

Post by Zünder » 14 Aug 2012, 19:45

@myt1prod: the steel "crosses" you found were used to protect primers of shellcases.
Normally, there would be a piece of rubber where the pin is, the clasps fit over the rim of the shellcase.

These were used by a lot of countries, germany used them (called "schutzfeder", mainly used by the navy), the British used them and i think the french as well.

Regarding the "6-Ladung" in one of the pictures: a lot of guns used bag charges, depending on the range 1 or more charges were used.
Seems to me, that "6-ladung" simply means that they stored nr. 6 charges at that particular spot.
"G-Pzgr": Gewehr-Panzergranate,30 mm HEAT rifle grenade.

What i would like to know: what kind of guns were stationed there ?

Zünder,

www,wk2ammo.com

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Aug 2012, 20:00

Hi Zünder

Begin 1944 there were 4 x 15.5 cm s.F.H. 414 (f) from the 7./18 ( Luftwaffe Feld Division )

Regards Jos

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 14 Aug 2012, 20:55

Hi Zünder

Thanks for the info on the metal crosses. My first thought when I found them was in the same direction, but this would mean there had to be a (+/-) 15cm gun in the area. The triangular gun emplacement (possible FlaK) shown in the picture above seemed to be to small to carry such a gun. Also the smaller gun emplacement next to it couldn't fit a 15cm gun. Also, the Stp Arnika - where I found these crosses - is known to be a headquarterposition without heavy gun emplacements. Therefore I thought it could be something else as well.

2 possibilities - in my opinion - about the origins of the schutzfeder (found about 30 in the same spot):
- they could have belonged to the Stp. Aal just 100 metres to the east of the metal crosses, this Stp. was known to have 4 French fieldhowitzers 15,5cm s.F.H.414
- or they belonged to a gun used by the Checz with held positions here in the Stp Arnika during the siege of Dunkirk (44-45)

The Stp. Blei - where I found the ammunition markings shown at the beginning of this thread - is known to have following guns:
1942: 4 x 10.5cm gun
27/03/43: 4 x Le.F.H. 18
20/06/43: no guns present
01/06/44: 4 x French fieldhowitzer 15,5cm s.F.H.414
1944: 6 x 15,5 cm s.F.H.133
(source: bunkers.be / "De Atlantik Wall" by F. Philippart, D. Peeters, Alain van Geetruyen)
In the last fase of 1944 two of the six guns had to be standing freely I guess, because only four gunemplacements where known to stand here. They stood in a rather strange configuration regarding the position of the bunkers of this stronghold. I made this quick example based upon aerial photo's of 1948 (http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/actualite ... istoriques).
gun emplacements Stp. Blei.jpg
Google Earth
Grtz
jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 14 Aug 2012, 21:06

jopaerya wrote:Hello Jean

The gun looks a French 95 mm G , maybe on the other side of the border ??

Regards Jos
Thanks Jos
You mean on the Belgian side then; the domain Cabourg could indeed be another posibility (same trees).
It could of course also be in the Stp. Aal just next to Arnika, although now much denser forest it could have looked the same as in the photo at the time.
... so little appears to be known about the borderregion Franco-Belge (same for Stp. Anna, Ahlen, Ahrweiler, ...)

Do you have more specifics on this gun type? Googling for "95MM G canon" turns up a lot of photocamera's but no 'real' canons :lol:
grtz, jean

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 14 Aug 2012, 21:16

Hello Jean

The exact name is "Canon G de côte de 95 mm Mle 1893"

Regards Jos
Attachments
french 9.5 cm guns.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 14 Aug 2012, 21:25

jopaerya wrote:Hello Jean

The exact name is "Canon G de côte de 95 mm Mle 1893"

Regards Jos
Tank You Jos!! for the quick response
grtz jean

Zünder

Post by Zünder » 14 Aug 2012, 21:45

@Jos and Jean: 15.5 cm s.F.H. 414 (f) used bag charges, so there was no need for a primer cover/cross.

If the cross is approx. 15 cm . then it was probably not for a 15 cm case. (the base of a 15 cm case is always wider).

Zünder,

www.wk2ammo.com

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 14 Aug 2012, 21:53

thx Zünder
when I return to measure the gun emplacement, I will also take exact measurements of these primercovers... perhaps I can even find some inscriptions underneath the rust, which could be usefull to identify its origin.
jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 16 Aug 2012, 23:23

find of the day...
protection cap.jpg
obvious part of allied ammunition. Known Allied forces in the area are British, French and Belgian Troops during Operation Dynamo and Czech and Canadian troops during the siege of Dunkirk.
It's markings; "s - remove before firing - N°152 I - WBL/C", inside there is a screwthread.

Also found a small bulletcasing for a revolver with headstamp "9mm - H 'arrow up' N - 43 (or 4.3)" at the spot of the 'shutzfeder' (metal crosses). These crosses measure exactly 12cm accros (not 15 like mentioned earlier, which was a guess), one of the clips at each end fuctions as some kind op 'easy-spring-release' to easily remove the shutzfeder from the actual shell (the other three clips are sturdy). No inscriptions were found on these shutzfeder.

jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 17 Aug 2012, 01:59

Plan of the (FlaK)gunemplacement at Stp. Arnika.
plan gunemplacement Arnika2.jpg
The smaller gunemplacement laying next to this one, which I mentioned before in this thread, could in fact possibly be the same one but partialy destroyed and due to heavy overgrowth unpossible to measure.

now, based upon these measurements, the quest for the gun(s) standing here continues :)

jean

AW

Post by AW » 20 Aug 2012, 09:25

myt1prod wrote: I made this quick example based upon aerial photo's of 1948 (http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/actualite ... istoriques).
gun emplacements Stp. Blei.jpg
Grtz
jean
morning,

what are the red circles on your overview... the flak OB´s?

greetz
Alex

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”