Italian AA Guns

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Sturm78
Member
Posts: 15309
Joined: 02 Oct 2008 17:18
Location: Spain

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Sturm78 » 24 Dec 2018 10:42

According to Filippo Cappellano in the book "Le Artiglierie del Regio Esercito nella Seconda Guerra Mondiale" the Italians developed two experimental models of AA guns to late 1920s: a Ansaldo 75/50 and a OTO 75-45 guns but both were rejected. After this, were evaluated some foreign models: Bofors 80/50 M1929 and Vickers.....

It does not say anything about a Siderius model although this does not necessarily mean that it was not evaluated as well...
The late 75mm Cannone da 75.46 Mod.1934 was based on the Swedish Bofors M1929 model, according to Filippo Cappellano....

On the other hand, perhaps the Ansaldo experimental gun of 75/50 could be the gun posted here on 27 Jun 2018...??? :?

Sturm78

Sturm78
Member
Posts: 15309
Joined: 02 Oct 2008 17:18
Location: Spain

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Sturm78 » 19 Jan 2019 13:16

Hi all,

An 90mm Ansaldo Cannone da 90-50 naval AA gun barrel (according to photo caption )

Image from Ansaldo archive
Sturm78
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 16 Sep 2019 17:24

Cannone da 75/49 or 75/50, Anyone have data on how many they received and when ?

Image

Raspin, The Italian War Economy

Image
Last edited by Brady on 16 Sep 2019 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
David W
Member
Posts: 3442
Joined: 28 Mar 2004 01:30
Location: Devon, England

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by David W » 16 Sep 2019 18:25

Hi.

XLII Gruppo CA. 2x4 guns August 1940.

XLIII Gruppo CA. 4x4 guns January 1941.

Is all I can find for North Africa at quick glance.

Kind regards,
David.

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 16 Sep 2019 20:05

David W wrote:
16 Sep 2019 18:25
Hi.

XLII Gruppo CA. 2x4 guns August 1940.

XLIII Gruppo CA. 4x4 guns January 1941.

Is all I can find for North Africa at quick glance.

Kind regards,
David.
If I might ask what is the source, and at the risk of sounding needy, I am looking at the Whole Italian Usage not Just North Africa

User avatar
David W
Member
Posts: 3442
Joined: 28 Mar 2004 01:30
Location: Devon, England

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by David W » 16 Sep 2019 20:09

That's all I've got. The source will be this forum.

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 16 Sep 2019 20:10

David W wrote:
16 Sep 2019 20:09
That's all I've got. The source will be this forum.
O, TY :)

User avatar
David W
Member
Posts: 3442
Joined: 28 Mar 2004 01:30
Location: Devon, England

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by David W » 16 Sep 2019 20:24

Actually, I had lost my e-bearings. Source is the Comando Supremo forum, not the Axis History forum. Sorry!

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 16 Sep 2019 21:02

Brady wrote:
16 Sep 2019 17:24
Cannone da 75/49 or 75/50, Anyone have data on how many they received and when ?

Image

Raspin, The Italian War Economy

Image

Or, what units used them ...

Dili
Member
Posts: 2099
Joined: 24 Jun 2007 22:54
Location: Lusitania

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Dili » 17 Sep 2019 20:12

That seems a 75/50 not a 75/49. 75/50 was a Skoda gun captured by Germany and given to Italy to pay debts you can find info for them here. 75/49 was a Vickers gun i think was captured in North Europe or Netherland and also given by Germany to Italy.

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 17 Sep 2019 20:28

Dili wrote:
17 Sep 2019 20:12
That seems a 75/50 not a 75/49. 75/50 was a Skoda gun captured by Germany and given to Italy to pay debts you can find info for them here. 75/49 was a Vickers gun i think was captured in North Europe or Netherland and also given by Germany to Italy.
Here ?

Dili
Member
Posts: 2099
Joined: 24 Jun 2007 22:54
Location: Lusitania

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Dili » 17 Sep 2019 20:39

In this forum.

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 17 Sep 2019 21:12

The 14 batteries I am referring to were purchased by Italy from Skoda, as part of a larger purchase package as noted by the reference, they were manufactured not that it makes much difference, it’s just that I’m trying to see how these were Incorporated, Because there is some question as to whether or not they were actually delivered, because we can’t seem to find where they fit into the TOE’s We see glimpses of them as noted in the picture and the reference for their use above

Dili
Member
Posts: 2099
Joined: 24 Jun 2007 22:54
Location: Lusitania

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Dili » 17 Sep 2019 22:58

I am not aware of bought 75/50 but it is possible. They were part of many gruppi CA of Regio Esercito these are usually held at Corps level and migth form a raggrupamenti when several groups operate as whole or by organization necessity, some and i think a a couple of 75/50 groups ended up in the motorized or armored divisions by 1942.

Brady
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 22:02
Location: Oregon

Re: Italian AA Guns

Post by Brady » 17 Sep 2019 23:02

Dili wrote:
17 Sep 2019 22:58
I am not aware of bought 75/50 but it is possible. They were part of many gruppi CA of Regio Esercito these are usually held at Corps level and migth form a raggrupamenti when several groups operate as whole or by organization necessity, some and i think a a couple of 75/50 groups ended up in the motorized or armored divisions by 1942.
So it sounds like quit a few were in service

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”