H2S disruptors St Nazaire and other places

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
dirk Peeters

Re: H2S disruptors St Nazaire and other places

Post by dirk Peeters » 23 Jun 2013, 15:56

here not the picture i search of lorient but to keep low flying airplanes away they are not the whole lenght of the bunker so could this also be a strange device ?
1A4 K III SHM.jpg
photo SHM
dirk

dirk Peeters

Post by dirk Peeters » 23 Jun 2013, 16:11

we see the same things on the roof like on the blockships
2013-06-23_160940.jpg

SEMPER-FIDELIS

Post by SEMPER-FIDELIS » 18 Apr 2019, 18:38

Hello everyone I am coming back to my first thought (another life, another forum)
I think that since the Lighthouses were no longer working, the panels were used by submarines or KM ships to position themselves properly in relation to the base for their entrance in the port. All Kriegs ships are equipped with radars.
QED

Amicalement

jazote

Post by jazote » 20 Apr 2019, 19:17

SEMPER-FIDELIS wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 18:38
Hello everyone I am coming back to my first thought (another life, another forum)
I think that since the Lighthouses were no longer working, the panels were used by submarines or KM ships to position themselves properly in relation to the base for their entrance in the port. All Kriegs ships are equipped with radars.
QED
Amicalement
I am sorry to say I don’t agree with you ! As an example, “ the Baleines (Whales)” lighthouse on Ré Island in Charente Maritime was efficient during the whole war.
In order to reduce its light shining a wooden device (with vertical slots you could open and close like shutters) was set around the lamp.
Thank you to take this into consideration.
2012_09_07.jpg
Cordialement
JLM

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 20 Apr 2019, 20:55

jazote wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 19:17
SEMPER-FIDELIS wrote:
QED
Amicalement
I am sorry to say I don’t agree with you ! As an example, “ the Baleines (Whales)” lighthouse on Ré Island in Charente Maritime was efficient during the whole war.
In order to reduce its light shining a wooden device (with vertical slots you could open and close like shutters) was set around the lamp.
2012_09_07.jpg
Cordialement
JLM
Hi,

The same applied to lighthouses in the Channel Islands and neighbouring France in that they would be lit when needed for convoys. Not seen the 'black out' boards for the light before though! The lighthouses tended to be manned by the Kriegsmarine.

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

jazote

Post by jazote » 21 Apr 2019, 07:26

M19 MADMAL wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 20:55
jazote wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 19:17
SEMPER-FIDELIS wrote:
QED
Amicalement
2012_09_07.jpg
Cordialement
JLM
Hi,
The same applied to lighthouses in the Channel Islands and neighbouring France in that they would be lit when needed for convoys. Not seen the 'black out' boards for the light before though! The lighthouses tended to be manned by the Kriegsmarine.
Regards,
Thanks !
JLM

SEMPER-FIDELIS

Post by SEMPER-FIDELIS » 21 Apr 2019, 19:15

Hello everybody
St.Nazaire is a submarine base (unlike the places you mention) and after the "Chariot operation" I think ,all lights were forbidden.
Regards

jazote

Post by jazote » 21 Apr 2019, 19:25

SEMPER-FIDELIS wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 19:15
Hello everybody
St.Nazaire is a submarine base (unlike the places you mention) and after the "Chariot operation" I think ,all lights were forbidden.
Regards
Don't forget there was a submarine base in La Pallice.... not so far from the Ré island...
Cordialement
JLM

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 21 Apr 2019, 21:18

SEMPER-FIDELIS wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 19:15
Hello everybody
Regards
An order (direct from Hitler himself apparently) to remove all crews of lighthouses was issued after the successful Commando raid (Operation Dryad) took place on the Casquets lighthouse in the English channel (North West of Occupied Alderney) on 2–3 September 1942 and the seven German keepers were taken back to England as prisoners of war. The order was soon retracted as it was more beneficial to man and operate a lighthouse for several minutes rather than risk losing a ship with her cargo and crew.

Details of the raid:
The Casquets Lighthouse was built in 1724, and is located 6 miles (9.7 km) west of the island of Alderney in the Channel islands. It is located amongst some of the fastest ocean currents in the English Channel. The Lighthouse consists of a 88 feet (27 m) tower and two shorter towers on a barren rock. After the German occupation of the Channel Islands in 1940, they decided to man the lighthouse and set up an observation post with a naval radio station so that anything seen could be reported and when it was necessary to turn the light on, for a passing German convoy. The crew being rotated every 3 months.
Its isolated location made it a perfect objective for a commando raid, in fact there had been seven previous attempts to undertake this raid, all of which were abandoned, due to weather conditions. The commandos selected to carry out the raid belonged to No. 62 Commando also known as the Small Scale Raiding Force (SSRF). The planned date would be the night of 2/3 September 1942 with the objective of capturing prisoners.
The raiding party consisted of 12 men from the SSRF, the commanding officer Major Gus March-Phillipps, his second in command Captain Geoffrey Appleyard, some of the others involved were Captain Graham Hayes, Sergeant Winter, Private Anders Lassen and Dutch Lieutenant Henk Brinkgreve, and Sergeant Geoffrey Spencer.

Sailing from Portland aboard HM MTB 344, a motor torpedo boat nicknamed The Little Pisser because of its outstanding turn of speed at 21.00 hrs arriving close to Les Casquets at 22.45 hrs. After anchoring, the landing party rowed ashore, arriving just after midnight, Appleyard was the first to leap ashore and tied their boat forward and Hayes was in control of the stern-line, which had been attached to the kedge-anchor that had been dropped on approach to prevent the boat from being smashed against the rocks. All the landing party made it safely ashore without any damage to the boat. Appleyard handed the bowline to another and Hayes remained in control of the stern-line as the raiding party departed.
The Commandos made their way through barbed wire up the steep rocky surface to the lighthouse courtyard unchallenged. Once in the courtyard the group dispersed to their prearranged objectives. Appleyard and Sergeant Winter dashed up the spiral staircase to the tower light only to find it unoccupied. The garrison was totally surprised. Appleyard said, "I have never seen men so amazed and terrified at the same time." Three were sleeping, two were just turning in and two others were on duty. The seven Germans were taken prisoner without a shot being fired. One German, who was in charge of the lighthouse operation, fainted at the sight of the commandos. Another was initially thought to be a woman because he was wearing a hairnet.
Weapons found included an Oerlikon 20 mm cannon, rifles and stick grenades, which were all dumped in the sea. The radio was smashed with an axe. The boat they had arrived in was designed to take a maximum of 10, now with 19, it was difficult, but they managed. Appleyard suffered an accident and fractured his tibia as he re-boarded their boat.
Setting sail at 01.35 hrs, the seven prisoners, some still in their pyjamas, were taken to England, arriving at Portland at 04.00 hrs. Several codebooks, logs, diaries and letters were found and taken back for analysis.

It was a few days before the Germans were aware of a problem. When a boat arrived, they found the lighthouse deserted. An order to remove all lighthouse crews did not last long when it was realised the benefits outweighed the risks. The Casquets lighthouse was re-armed with a 2.5cm Pak, five machine guns and had a larger crew of 24 installed.

Regards,
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”