OT - Organisation Todt

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jopaerya

Re: OT - Organisation Todt

Post by jopaerya » 25 Aug 2017, 08:43

Hello Natter

Can you place al the underground tunnels or are they plans and never build ?

Regards Jos

p.s. love the grenade-trap drawings

Natter

Post by Natter » 25 Aug 2017, 17:42

jopaerya wrote:Can you place al the underground tunnels or are they plans and never build ?
Only the "Neue Muna" (ref posting on page 7) is known so far. The other four facilities are unknown. Wether these were just planned or actually established, is hard to tell. At least two of them I think exixts though, as there are comments on the drawing about the existing conditions etc. It seems at least one facility might be a former mine of some sort, but probably converted to another purpose as it has been equipped with close-defence.

I have posted the drawings in the norwegian coastal fortress-forum as well, so hopefully someone wil recognice them or come up with suggestions in regards to location and/or other information.

Natter

Post by Natter » 11 Sep 2017, 20:22

Ok, I reckon it's time for more "spam" (as long as there's no complaints).

More "random" examples of material from the OT-archives, starting with examples of technical installations for airfields:
Attachments
IMG_0938aa.jpg
IMG_0940aq.jpg
IMG_0942aa.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg

Natter

Post by Natter » 11 Sep 2017, 20:26

Some regelbau-related drawings (my german is worthless: Can someone explain the point of the anordnung for keeping the bunker "square"..?):
Attachments
1 Image1b.jpg
2 Image1ab.jpg
3 Image8b.jpg
IMG_0011a.jpg

Natter

Post by Natter » 11 Sep 2017, 20:54

More buildings from Herdla: A hospital and a notstrombaracke for one of the two WR (FuSE 65) radars.

I'm not sure were the hospital was set up.

The generator-barrack was removed in 2007. In the 80-90's, until the fortress was unmanned in 2001, it served as a garage were the soldiers could fix their cars. Location on a 2005-aerial photo https://goo.gl/FSVAEJ (same site in 2015: https://goo.gl/U1bWE9 - the still present WR-sockel is visible through the trees in the upper left part)

I have also included a 1965 aerial photo showing the barracks location in regards to the radar and the coastal-/torpedobatteries.
Attachments
Notstrombaracke WR-gerät mit splitterschuss (Herdla)a.jpg
Gavlen_1965.jpg
Prov. Krankenrevier - Anbau (Herdla)a.jpg

Natter

Post by Natter » 11 Sep 2017, 21:01

Herdla was one of 13 verteidigungsberichte in Norway given the official status as Festung. Aukra was another, and very similar, island with the same status (Festung Gossen).
The germans set up an airfield, three coastal batteries (HKB's) and lots of anti-aircraft and closedefence installations there ( https://goo.gl/uhQkvY ).

Here are a few examples of installations from Aukra (Gossen):
Attachments
Stand für Flakscheinwerfer 150-200cm (Gossen).jpg
Lageplan - feldmessig Befehlsstelle einer Grossbatterie (Gossen).jpg
Unterkunft bzw Geschaftszimmer (Gossen)a.jpg

Natter

Post by Natter » 11 Sep 2017, 21:02

More:
Attachments
Gefechtsstand 2-3,7cm eingesprengt mit bereitschafts-unterstand (Gossen).jpg
Gefechtsstand für 8,8 - 10,5cm Flak (Gossen)a.jpg
Gruppen-Gefechtsstand - Halbversenkte Bauweise_Rundholz hinter Schwartlingen (Gossen).jpg
Geschützstand für 10,5(8,8)cm (Gossen)a.jpg
Kampfstand für 8,8 und 10,5cm Flak mit bereitschafts-unterstand (Gossen).jpg

TH

Post by TH » 11 Sep 2017, 22:07

Natter wrote:my german is worthless: Can someone explain the point of the anordnung for keeping the bunker "square"..?
Not quite what it means. :wink:
It's about the structure of the cubic concrete reinforcement (aka armouring).

Natter

Post by Natter » 12 Sep 2017, 08:26

TH wrote:
Natter wrote:my german is worthless: Can someone explain the point of the anordnung for keeping the bunker "square"..?
So "Anordnungen der kubischen Bewehrung" just means steel reinforcement in general? I thought it was related to some devices/technic to make sure the bunker came out properly aligned/squared...

ErwinZ

Post by ErwinZ » 12 Sep 2017, 09:22

Natter wrote:
TH wrote:
So "Anordnungen der kubischen Bewehrung" just means steel reinforcement in general? I thought it was related to some devices/technic to make sure the bunker came out properly aligned/squared...
It's one of the first armament techniques among others like Spiral-, Benzinger- and Gitterraumbewehrung. In Juli 1941 they settled with the Braunschweiger Schutzbewehrung for LS bunkers.

For explanations per type see here: http://www.bochumer-bunker.de/html/bautechnik.html

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 12 Sep 2017, 09:50

Hi Natter,
Thanks a lot, much appreciated. At Grove the old German runway lights are still present. Please see:
http://www.gyges.dk/fliegerhorst_grove9.htm
It is the first time I have ever seen a plan of a Gruppen Gef.Std. 8O
Please do keep the "spam" coming :milwink:
bregds
SES

Natter

Post by Natter » 12 Sep 2017, 10:31

ErwinZ wrote:It's one of the first armament techniques among others like Spiral-, Benzinger- and Gitterraumbewehrung. In Juli 1941 they settled with the Braunschweiger Schutzbewehrung for LS bunkers.
For explanations per type see here: http://www.bochumer-bunker.de/html/bautechnik.html
Got it. Thanks :)

Natter

Post by Natter » 12 Sep 2017, 10:39

SES wrote:Thanks a lot, much appreciated. At Grove the old German runway lights are still present. Please see:
http://www.gyges.dk/fliegerhorst_grove9.htm
It is the first time I have ever seen a plan of a Gruppen Gef.Std. 8O
Please do keep the "spam" coming
There's a lot of these LW technical descriptions in the OT-archives. I just copied some random drawings as samples to have an idea/record of the content though, as it's not within my area of interest.

Unfortunately, I wasn't very structured during my first visits to the national archives, so it's not properly organized - hence these random postings (also, I lost a lot of data when a main harddrive crashed in january, and I'm not sure what more I can dig up now :-( ).

ErwinZ

Post by ErwinZ » 12 Sep 2017, 16:35

Natter wrote:Unfortunately, I wasn't very structured during my first visits to the national archives, so it's not properly organized - hence these random postings (also, I lost a lot of data when a main harddrive crashed in january, and I'm not sure what more I can dig up now :-( ).
I had the same. My first visits at the archives resulted in only taking photographs of the documents I found interesting at that time. Only to find out several weeks/months later there's so much more in to it. Nowadays I photograph the complete map and read/sort the whole shit out at home. In my own comfy chair with a beverage to my liking ;)

Natter

Post by Natter » 14 Sep 2017, 20:43

SES wrote:Please do keep the "spam" coming
No problem :)
Natter wrote:(also, I lost a lot of data when a main harddrive crashed in january, and I'm not sure what more I can dig up now :-( ).
I located some stuff from earlier visits to the NA (some of this was probably posted earlier as links to a filesharing site (ref viewtopic.php?p=1846526#p1846526 ), but those links are long gone so I'm adding these for the benefit of "new readers").
Last edited by Natter on 14 Sep 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”