3D radar to uncover secret tunnels in Oslo

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Marcus

3D radar to uncover secret tunnels in Oslo

Post by Marcus » 19 Oct 2013 13:49

A retired history teacher is hoping to uncover a secret network of Nazi tunnels by shooting ground penetrating 3D radar beneath the streets of Oslo next month.
Øyvind Skarlund, the former head of history at Oslo's Handelsgymnasium, has been fascinated by architectural plans of the tunnel network ever since the school was given the keys to a Nazi bunker in its cellar in 2000.
"The plan is to investigate if the tunnels really are there. That's the first thing," he told The Local. "I've seen the plans for the tunnels from the war years, and I've also seen the plans for the bunker, and it seems likely that there is a second bunker underneath the one we have."
The Handelsgymnasium building, in Oslo's West End not far from the Royal Palace, served as the German military headquarters during the war years, and a large bunker was built beneath it.
The Norwegian military kept control of the bunker, which lies just four metres beneath the school, until 2000, when the school turned it into a memorial museum of the country's Nazi occupation.
Skarlund, and his supporters at Gimle Rotary Club, have now raised 200,000 kroner ($30,000) to fund the geo-radar project, which will be carried out next month by experts from the University of Tromsø.
"If we can discover a tunnel over to the KNA Scandic Hotel, we think we can get more money to try and find the tunnels that we think are going down Cort Adelers Gate," he said.
He admitted that it was possible that the plans he has seen were for a tunnel network that was never built.
"On the other hand, it seems likely that they would want to have escape routes, and over to the bunker at the KNA Hotel is only 20 metres, and then down the street to the next bunker is only 100m, and the next one is only 100m, so we can't skip the idea."
http://www.thelocal.no/20131018/3d-rada ... zi-tunnels

/Marcus

jopaerya

Re: 3D radar to uncover secret tunnels in Oslo

Post by jopaerya » 20 Oct 2013 09:19

Thanks Markus

Would be nice to have a drawing of the tunnel system under Handelsgymnasium in Oslo .

Picture = Verneposten

Regards Jos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tristan-gereon

Post by tristan-gereon » 15 Jun 2019 09:41

Hi,
I made a short trip to oslo by ferry. During visiting the city of Oslo I saw this big building and a Stollenanlage (Tunnel) in the rock. This building is in the north of the harbour at the Munkedamsvejen. Does anybdy knows, what this is?
Regards Oliver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harpoon

Post by Harpoon » 16 Jun 2019 11:53

This is the former resides of general director of the national railways in Norway. The entrance shown could be a air raid shelter and has no relevance to WW2

wimve

Post by wimve » 17 Jun 2019 15:48

What happend with the first idea: use 3D radar to find tunnels ?
Does anybody know ?
Thanks,

Wim
www.petromax.nl
3D : http://www.petromax.nl/Hanstholm.html
http://www.petromax.nl/DeBeer.html

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 17 Jun 2019 16:52

Might have been done without success in finding anything and not worth the news. Can’t find anything besides this interesting bit of news which mentions some of the other bunkers.

According to a norwegian newspaper dated january 18th. 2018 the bunkers under and close to the Ruseløkka school (the ones mentioned being a few hundred meters away etc.) are not connected. The old school and bunker was thorn down in 2018/19. Image
The new school should be finished by early 2021.

News source: https://www.dagsavisen.no/oslo/nazi-bun ... -1.1082244
Image: https://no.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruseløkka_skole

Waleed

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 17 Jun 2019 17:12

Sorry forgot this link and image which shows the bunker locations and tunnels thought to have connected them.
It’s from 2013, so the school mentioned above is gone.
Source: https://www.boktips.no/krimboker/underbakken/

Waleed

P. Heijkoop

Post by P. Heijkoop » 17 Jun 2019 22:13

OMG, how sad. Does anybody know whether the bunker was measured before demolition?
I shure hope so!

Peter

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 17 Jun 2019 23:38

According to the article it was used by the norwegian army long after the war. They were willing to hand it over to Oslo town after they had removed everything but Town hall had no interest.
I would think something must be on record in military archives, maybe even in city planning archives.

Waleed

stril

Post by stril » 18 Jun 2019 22:41

P. Heijkoop

Post by P. Heijkoop » 19 Jun 2019 10:35

Hi,
Thanks all. I found some articles that the bunker was apparantly saved below the terrain, but closed of again.
My norwegian is not that good, so I could be mistaken...
Peter

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”