"Turntable" at Fort Pampus, Muiden (NL)

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
PeterPam

Re: "Turntable" at Fort Pampus, Muiden (NL)

Post by PeterPam » 22 Dec 2015 22:28

Hello Erwin and Rolf,
Erwin is right that this structure is too large. The diameter of the Foundation of the carousel on Pampus is about 2.5 up to 3 m.
As you can see on the attached airphoto is that not the only object (circle A) made by the Germans in WWII on Pampus.
Left in the big circle C are the remains of 1 m high stone columns wereon presumably a wooden platform with a radio tower has stood, with a small brick space in which presumably the transmitting devices has stood.
In circle B you see the brick remains of supposedly a generator room.
In circle D stands the men bunker. Now converted into private house/meeting room.
On the attached picture of the stone columns you may well see that the flat roof there is not large, about 6.5 m wide.
So in my opinion there will never be a FFuF d Fernfunkfeuer (Lo) "Karussel" on Pampus.
Further, I know that the Germans were only at the beginning of WWII on Pampus (1940-1941).

Regards Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nordfriese

Post by nordfriese » 24 Dec 2015 08:47

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the nice information!
jopaerya wrote:But the R.A.F. would see this thing on Pampus , never found any Allied or German information on the Karussel in Holland .
Maybe because Karussell was used just "at the beginning of the war" and then broke down.
PeterPam wrote:Further, I know that the Germans were only at the beginning of WWII on Pampus (1940-1941).
Thanks for the nice information, Peter!
This sentence would fit to the use of Karussell.
The size was 7 m to each side of the socle, which barely fits. The transmitter-building was
maximum 30 m from the antenna. Nothing around in a distance of 1000 m.

Fact is, that there are two nearly identical socles at Pampus and near Westerland and I don't
have a clue for what...

Best wishes and merry christmas!
Rolf

PeterPam

Post by PeterPam » 24 Dec 2015 16:48

Thanks for your reply Rolf,

This is a drawing I made of the German buildup on the South-East flat part the roof of the fort.
Drawn on the basis of (air) photos. The position of the masonry columns (Brown squares) presumably to support a wooden platform that lay on top of it.
The Grey squares in the middle indicate where supposedly the anchoring of a radio tower.
The rectangular drawing dipicts the building where presumably (transmitting?) equipment in. The proportions in the drawing up of all this are estimated but I estimate that the distance between the columns was about 1 m.

Also best wishes and Merry Christmas!
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ErwinZ

Post by ErwinZ » 07 Nov 2018 19:20

Maybe the object had something to do with tracking ordnance? The fire range was just underneath the island.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”