Normandy images

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Korbius

Normandy images

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 21:02

Just came back from Normandy, took some interesting images and I thought that it would be better to share with others and get some opinions and help also.

First image is of the "Pegasus" bridge that was captured by the 6th British AB division in 6th of June.

A czech production 50mm cannon protecting the bridge

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 21:11

Sword Beach

A French memorial raised for the lost french commandos that died in Sword Beach. Notice the Sechsschartenturm bunker :)

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 21:24

Juno Beach. A Pak bunker that has been sealed and hard to notice it is a bunker. A Sherman can be noticed on top of it.

Gun Emplacement? What do you think Erik?

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 12 May 2003 21:24

Have you better pics of the rear of the Gun? Looks like a KwK 39/1 from a Puma 8O

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 12 May 2003 21:39

Gun Emplacement? What do you think Erik?

I doubt that...... It looks too open, and no stores for ammo. Maybe for a searchlight? What is the rusty part in the middle?

That 6-schartenturm is very rare! I`ve only seen one example with "Treppenscharte" before this, but in bad condition.

Also interesting that it has Busch optics, this means that it is a newer production. Did you get the serial number on top?

Erik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 21:45

The shore batteries of Longues-sur-Mer

A series of 4 bunkers and each had a French

1st Bunker. The 14 inch shell from the naval bombardments had a direct hit in this bunker and went through it destroying the cannon and blowing the back of the bunker as can be seen from the image.

2nd Bunker.

Notice the shrapnel holes by the left side of the gun, probably made from grenades when they were taken from the rear.

3rd Bunker.

All of the 4 bunkers.

Observation bunker that is located in front of the 4 cannon bunkers. I think that a part of "The Longest Day" was shot here where the german captain is scanning the horizon looking for enemy ships.

The view from the inside of the bunker out to the sea.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 21:51

Hi Erik, unfortunately I didn't take the serial number on top of it. Also wouldn't the searchlight be exposed too if it was placed in such a location?

Also I don't know if you have seen this, another example of the sechschartenturm in Vierville, shot at a couple of times, just as the example you showed a couple of weeks ago that you took somewhere in the siegfried line.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 21:53

Javichu wrote:Have you better pics of the rear of the Gun? Looks like a KwK 39/1 from a Puma 8O

Hi Javichu, unfortunately I don't have any better pics of the gun, also I'm not a serial expert to guess what production the gun might have been. Nonetheless I saw an extensive number of such fixed 5cm cannons throughout Normandy.

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 12 May 2003 22:22

Also wouldn't the searchlight be exposed too if it was placed in such a location?

Yes but for some reason, most of the positions I have seen are completely open like this. The reason could be that they could also be used to illuminate targets at sea, this could not be done if there was a wall in front......

Here`s a few examples from Norway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 12 May 2003 23:27

I think you're right Erik, afterall it might be a searchlight position. By the way, where did you take the image of the sechsschartenturm?

More images

Gold Beach

A bunker system by Gold Beach, probably it had a 5cm cannon or a mortar placed in it.

Two observation bunkers. I think Erik posted a similar image some time ago.

French produced

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 13 May 2003 00:43

Sorry to insist but these 5cm guns are intriguing...The Muzzle Brake looks like the PaK 38 and KwK39/1 and could be any of them. But the breech block seems to open downwards like the KwK.Was it common to use tank guns in fixed positions? :?
At firs I thought it could be another kind of gun.That´s why I asked for more photos...Maybe I´m wrong anyway :)

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 13 May 2003 01:03

The problem is that these 5cm cannons were specifically built in the factories to be fixed in bunkers, while the 5cm cannons such as the Pak 38, can be clearly distinguished because there was no purpose to modify them with such a frontal plate. Nonetheless, I'll wait and see what other members might think what type of 5cm it could be.

Blitzkreig

Post by Blitzkreig » 13 May 2003 16:10

wow...really amazing....nice photos..hold onto those...people will want them in the future..overall nice job :)
-Brian

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 13 May 2003 20:32

Hello!

where did you take the image of the sechsschartenturm?

I can`t remember the name right now, but it was in the NW part of Saarland in the Westwall. I`ll find the name if you need it......

probably it had a 5cm cannon or a mortar placed in it

This is actually the bottom for a Würzburg Riese radar disc!

Two observation bunkers

The German one is a "Infanteriekleinstglocke 89P9"
It is the same as you will find on the very impressive "B-werk" bunkers in the Westwall.

Was it common to use tank guns in fixed positions

As for the 5cm KwK, I think you have to turn this question the other way around..... :) It was common to use guns for fixed positions in tanks.

The 5cm Kwk was the absolutely most used static Pak in fortifications.
Allmost every strongpoint and coastal battery has a few of them on the flanks. Every harbour has several of them. In addition, you will find them on airports, bridges, roadcrossings, railway lines+++

The strange thing, is that it kept it`s Kwk designation, even it was mounted in a bunker or open emplacement.......

Erik

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 13 May 2003 23:03

Thanks Blitkreig for the nice words, and thanks Erik for your help. Now some of my favorite images: Omaha beach.

This is where supposedly the bunker in the beginning scenes of "SPR" was. The white house on the right upper side is built in the location where that MG bunker was. Also some other bunker can be noticed but most are covered by the grass or soil, so very hard to notice.

Another strange MG bunker from Omaha Beach. Maybe you might know what it might be Erik.

One of the 2 Pak bunkers in Omaha beach, still with a Pak 43 88mm inside of it.

Another mg bunker by the rear right side of the hill. This took a heavy toll on the enginners who were trying to blow up a wall to open the way.

Two Pak bunkers in Omaha beach, Dog Green sector, one has a memorial built on top, and also inside it has the 88mm Pak43. Interesting, they weren't built to face the sea, but a bit sideways to cover the beach. In the back there is another Pak bunker present.
I camped above the hill in the background for a night :D

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”