Stp. Aster - Bray-Dunes

Discussions on the fortifications & artillery used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

Stp. Aster - Bray-Dunes

Postby myt1prod » 19 Mar 2017 11:56

In it's original layout this Stp. had several small Vf bunkers and 1 open gunemplacement (FlaK), but as most websites mention only the open emplacement and 1 small Vf bunker remaining in this Stp., being the one which is made unaccessible and has a cavalaire (cross) on top of it, I never bothered to visit this location although I live nearby.

When I visited last week, my surprise was great to find a second surviving Vf bunker, a Vf 1a. When browsing the web afterwards at home, I realised that some websites do mention this second surviving Vf bunker... but only one mentions the German writings to be found inside the bunker without showing the photos.

As I think that this bunker and shurely it's nice German writings are unknown to the most of you I'd like to share them with you.
For those who'd like to see them with their own eyes; the Stp. is situated in the Dunes just behind the main Church of Bray-Dunes.

Stp Aster 1.jpg

Stp Aster 2.jpg

Stp Aster 3.jpg

when looking at old aerials, to me it seems possible that there must be another surviving Vf bunker laying just next to the bunker with the cavalaire on top, but would be covered by sand and bushes if it is still there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dirk Peeters

Re: Stp. Aster - Bray-Dunes

Postby dirk Peeters » 19 Mar 2017 22:59

it is a VF2a Jean
Dirk

der bunkermann
Financial supporter

Postby der bunkermann » 20 Mar 2017 18:19

Nice, is it known what the purpose was of the concrete knob. On the corner? Camouflage roof attachment?

Gr. TIM

myt1prod

Postby myt1prod » 20 Mar 2017 19:11

As the quick overlay i did yesterday was badly orientated and therefore a lot of structures couldn't be fitted with the nowadays situation, I done the overlay over again in a proper way... I even found a much more recent aerial showing much more detail and a second OB !!!

Thanks Dirk! But are you sure about this designation? It is smaller then the Vf with the cross on top, which I think is a Vf 2a. I've got the information about the bunker with the German writings being Vf 1a on the single blog/website which mentions the writings inside the bunker... Sadly I wasn't equiped for measuring... I'll have to return, or did you measure it to possitivly ID the Vf-bunker?

Tim, I guess the piece of concrete is a remains of a protectionwall, possibly on both sides of the entrance as seen below...

It seems this stronghold is more interesting then i ever thought... some odd things when resembling GE and IGN aerials!
Both maps below are orientated to the north; when looking at GE we can see the bunker with the cross on top is still standing firm and straight so it must be on it's original position, same for the Vf2a with writings (although it can't be seen on the GE aerial), the OB is broken but seems to be still in place, high on the dune. When now looking at the IGN aerial we can clearly see 2 OB's conected by a road to the LAG (this is the only aerial where teh 2 OB's are visible, other aerials show only the one or the other OB, which had me puzzled whilst resembling aerials of different dates). The LAG which is connected to the OB's is a very nice find also; it has added rooms on both sides which is quite unique amongst the many LAG-variants of this Vf-like bunker which are only found in this region of the Atlantikwall ( KVA A1/2/3 & KVA B + 2 Sudwall. So the canon could fire in three positions; from inside the bunker it would fire towards the town of Bray-Dunes and when standing in an OB it could either fire towards the sea or the hinterland (Inland).
Next to the LAG, the OB's, the Vf with the postwar cross on top and the Vf with the German writings we can clearly see 2 other bunkers which have the same dimensions as the bunker with the German writings inside. One silhouet suspisiously looks like a ringstand to me... but I'm not shure. When looking at the larger area on different aerials we can clearly see that towards the town (staying above the railroad) there are many other hard to identify structures which could also have belonged to the stronghold... on German map shows that this stronghold was much larger then only the part where the bunkers can be found; it stretched out towards the town. That same map shows a war-time railroad leading from Stp Aster to the Stp Arnika in Ghyvelde; so possibly Stp Aster served a double purpose and was also an excavationsite for sand (???).

When looking how the bunkers where situated in the landscape, GE clearly shows the LAG and the possibly ringstand are gone. In the valley bellow the dune some pieces of masonry and concrete can be found which possibly belonged to the LAG. GE also shows that all other bunkers could possibly still be there hidding under some bushes and a bit of sand!

Stp Aster overlay IGN.jpg

Stp Aster overlay GE.jpg

Aster2.jpg

This photo has been on my harddrive for years now... so I don't recall where I got it and if it was dated.

Aster.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dirk Peeters

Postby dirk Peeters » 21 Mar 2017 14:03

The cross bunker is not a vf2a. Much bigger. Al are measjred. My health is really bad for the moment. But when i czn place them i will
Dirk

dirk Peeters

Postby dirk Peeters » 21 Mar 2017 16:05

VF 2a 01 plan.jpg
the VF2a with inscriptions
you see unmistakingly a genuine VF2a

myt1prod

Postby myt1prod » 21 Mar 2017 18:11

thanks Dirk

Return to “Fortifications & Artillery”