Ever wonder what a naval bombardment can do to bunkers?

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Korbius

Ever wonder what a naval bombardment can do to bunkers?

Post by Korbius » 25 May 2003, 14:15

Point du Hoc. Utah sector

14 in. guns from battleships and other warships bombarded this section heavily, because there were 155mm howitzers in the bunkers by this area which could threaten the landing crafts on D-Day, so this was an objective to be captured by the Rangers who landed below the place and had to use hooks and a stolen british firefighter's ladder to climb the 15-20 metres before they could get to the bunkers.

A naval shell blew up an ammo bunker and a huge crater was created as you can see on the right side where there are concrete pieces all around

More craters from the naval and air bombardment

varjag

Post by varjag » 26 May 2003, 14:28

Korbius - there's no doubt about the efficiency of batteship guns against bunkers. IF THEY HIT THEM. I visited Point de Hoc many years ago - and the bunkers were then still standing - WITH all of the craters amongst them. Battling shore emplacements with ships-guns is a notoriously difficult task. I understand that the Rangers - performed their difficult task only to find that 'the nest was empty'.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 26 May 2003, 17:35

varjag wrote: I understand that the Rangers - performed their difficult task only to find that 'the nest was empty'.

Only to have the luck strike on them, finding the cannons 2 miles further inland :D

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”