Austrian Field Gun Help

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
daortiz

Austrian Field Gun Help

Post by daortiz » 16 Feb 2018, 04:47

I'm doing research into Austro-Hungarian Artillery at the start of 1914. I've found that in 1914, Nash's War Manual states that the standard field gun was designed by Krupp and fired a 14.5 pound shell. I also know by H.A. Bethell's manual Modern Guns and Gunnery from 1910 that the standard Austrian field gun in 1905 fired a 14.72 pound shell and had an 8-cm diameter. (Nash's War Manual is so informal and brief about the Austrian Artillery that I've taken the value 14.5 pounds to be rounded). Bethell does not say, however, whether or not the 1905 field gun was manufactured by Krupp or Skoda. A quick Wikipedia search of Austrian artillery yields that the only 8-cm field gun available in 1914 was a Skoda, produced in 1905 and fired a 14.72 pound shell. My question is thus: Is Nash's War Manual wrong saying that the field gun in 1914 is a Krupp? It does not state the gun's diameter or give any proper designation other than saying "The field gun, a Krupp, ..."

If anyone could shed any clarifying light on the subject for me, I'd be very grateful. And I apologize for the specificity of the question, but I've hit a wall at the moment and need some help.

daortiz

Re: Austrian Field Gun Help

Post by daortiz » 19 Feb 2018, 23:48

Ok, answered my own question at the library today. William Dooley's "Great Weapons of WWI" sites the 1905 field gun as firing a 14.7 lb shell and being manufactured by Skoda, not Krupp. Nash's war manual is wrong.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”