Hurtgenwald artillery

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Spivet87

Hurtgenwald artillery

Post by Spivet87 » 28 Feb 2018, 23:31

Hello! I'm new on axishistory, but I' ve using this site as refrence since a long while. I'm a (sort of) history painter and right now I'm working on a Hurtgen wald series of pieces, more precisely one called "emplacing the Gun" that depicts a group of Landsers putting into position a sIG 33. My need is about the color in which these artillery pieces were painted, and if there is any information regarding the artillery pieces the Whermacht had in the Hurtgen.
BIG thanks in advance!

na4222

Re: Hurtgenwald artillery

Post by na4222 » 01 Mar 2018, 11:06

Hi there,

Given that it was so late in the war I would think that the gun would no longer be painted in the early war dark grey. It would probably have a base colour of dunkelgelb (yellowish german war paint) with other colours added on top. These would normally be either dunkelgrun (green) or/and (dunkelbraun) which could be sprayed on with a paint gun or stippled on with a brush/mop. Sprayed on camo could be either in a soft edge or hard edge.

Best regards,
Nezar

Spivet87

Re: Hurtgenwald artillery

Post by Spivet87 » 02 Mar 2018, 20:16

Thanks!
That was my initial reasoning as well. I'm digging a little bit on which kind of artillery could the German defenders could have other than the 15cm sIGs, most likely leFH 18, or anything that Model could have his hands on. Though the 116 PzDiv was at full strength when arrived to the Forest, and Kampfgruppe Wegelein was another top force.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”