Battleship on shore?

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Madsen

Post by Madsen » 19 Jun 2003, 23:49

more pics . here you can see some of the tunnel camo still present.
Attachments
DSCF0020x.jpg
DSCF0020x.jpg (202.39 KiB) Viewed 992 times

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 19 Jun 2003, 23:58

Hallo!

My old pc is still on the bottom of my pile of rubbish moved from my old apartment...... I`m a little low on resources to back up my previous question......

Anyway, here is a photo of a K416(f), looking very much the same as yours!

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 20 Jun 2003, 00:01

Oops!

Trying again:

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 20 Jun 2003, 00:12

Yeah they looked quite similar. but as i think i could read on the gun on my pic it says 7.5cm or 75mm. thye weels on the gun looked rather new. so i wonder if they just set on new weels so it looked better 8)
this fort is lokated only 200m from the main road Riksveg17 (R17)
and you can see the gun from the road.
took a pic of a info there. sorry its only in Norwegian but Erik can read it :)

here is also a pic of the barrel i found. it cant be bigger than 75mm.
Attachments
DSCF0001x.jpg
DSCF0001x.jpg (84.78 KiB) Viewed 979 times
barrel.JPG
barrel.JPG (63.55 KiB) Viewed 979 times

karltrowitz

Post by karltrowitz » 25 Jun 2003, 09:19

Excellent photo's guys.If you are trying to give a boost to Nowegian tourism,you are doing well because you've got me thinking of a trip over the North sea to visit these excellent sites! :D :D

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 28 Jun 2003, 21:11

Hehe karltrowitz. We know we live in the most beutiful land in the world.
And we have many interresting places here to :D
This is a Picture of the entry of the medical bunker on the fort.
it was designed for 12 beds.
Attachments
DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0035.JPG (104.98 KiB) Viewed 900 times

lisset

Great Photos Erik , Thank you !

Post by lisset » 03 Jul 2003, 16:11

Erik,
Your photographs are always very welcome, not only are they of good quality and well taken and the W.W.2 bunker content second to none they also give us a glimpse of your wonderful country and its coast line.
Can't help but think that there is a book in this somewhere balanced with your knowledge of the subject and some photos of structures taken 40-45 or shortly post war / the removal of the guns for scrap or dumping .....its a much neglected subject on which there is little written .
Your presentation of the subject on thees pages is both appreciated as well as filling a gap in what has been published to date.
Only bunkers I have seen are those in Normandy area , visited with children under age of ten which makes for a superficial look only.
Judging from the nature of the ground you are covering you must be quite a fit guy !
Thank you once again for some excellent and very interesting photos.....looking forward to seeing more in due course.
Regarding the guns......what remains in Norway ......have seen in After The Battle that the turret from Gneisenau is still intact and in order...can you give an update on it ?
Other lesser guns were they scrapped or dumped into the sea post war ?
james S.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 03 Jul 2003, 18:31

Hi Lisset.
to answer your Q.
Norwegian military took over some of the german coastal defence after the war, and some was demolished in 45-50. weapons was sold for scrap and bunkers blown up or sold as storage places for anyone who would buy
them. But some areas was left nearly intact. they removed weapons but that was it. In the area around Bodø, where i live you still can find remains of german eq in bunkers all over the city. a friend of mine found a mag/clip with cartrigdes for Mauser in a old bunker.

Most of the fortress taken over by norwegian military is now turned into museums. In Harstad you have the Adolf guns. they are HUGE.
and further north you have Skrollsvik fort at Senja who is also a museum
this fort was used by Royal Navy for many years after the war

lisset

Thank you.

Post by lisset » 03 Jul 2003, 18:51

Hi Madsen,
Thank you for your answewr on the guns , Europe must have been awash with scrap post 1945 as the wartime iron mungery was reduced and recycled.
You lads are very luck to have so much history on your door step .....we perhaps ( no perhaps about it !) lucky that our fathers and grandfathers did not know what occupation was all about....history at a price.

Thank you .
Best Regards
james

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 06 Jul 2003, 01:55

Hallo james S.

Thanks for your very nice comments :)

A lot of artillery still remains, but spread all over the country. Most of them are now partially restored in museum bunkers, but a few remains like they were left!
I`m currently working on a list with the remaining guns, but not ready yet.... The 3 most spectacular are also the 3 largest remaining naval turrets in the world.
1. 40,6cm (Adolf geschutz)
2. 38cm
3. Tripple 28cm (Gneisenau)

There are also a few more smaller navalturrets, but it seems like the Ex-French captured weapons will outnumber the German ones........

Erik E

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”