Soviet AT weapons

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
User avatar
K.Kocjancic
Member
Posts: 6618
Joined: 27 Mar 2003 19:57
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Soviet AT weapons

Post by K.Kocjancic » 17 Jun 2003 07:29

Did Soviet soldier had any AT weapon like Panzerfaust/schreck from Soviet production?

Or did they used American Bazookas or British Piat's?

Regards,
Kocjo

User avatar
David Lehmann
Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 01 Apr 2002 10:50
Location: France

Post by David Lehmann » 17 Jun 2003 11:01

I think they mostly used lend lease Bazookas which they had received in 1943. They also used captured Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck. Captured german Panzerfaust could have been used under the denomination RPG-1. The german factories kept producing AT weapons for the soviets even after the war. After WW2 the russians used the Panzerfaust 150 basis to design their RPG-2. This probably lead to the nowadays RPG-7 series. They also used RPG 1943 AT hand grenades.

http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/rpg43/

Otherwise the Russians stil used PTRD and PTRS 1941 AT rifles in 1945 ! That's all what I personnally know :?

User avatar
K.Kocjancic
Member
Posts: 6618
Joined: 27 Mar 2003 19:57
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Post by K.Kocjancic » 17 Jun 2003 13:14

Thanks a lot? So they didn't have any Piat's?

Kocjo

User avatar
David Lehmann
Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 01 Apr 2002 10:50
Location: France

Post by David Lehmann » 17 Jun 2003 13:28

Perhaps also some lend-lease PIATs but I don't know about them ... I don't think so ... perhaps Oleg or someone will have more info.

David

Darrin
Member
Posts: 831
Joined: 17 Apr 2002 10:44
Location: Canada

Post by Darrin » 17 Jun 2003 17:39

Panzermeyer wrote:I think they mostly used lend lease Bazookas which they had received in 1943. They also used captured Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck. Captured german Panzerfaust could have been used under the denomination RPG-1. The german factories kept producing AT weapons for the soviets even after the war. After WW2 the russians used the Panzerfaust 150 basis to design their RPG-2. This probably lead to the nowadays RPG-7 series. They also used RPG 1943 AT hand grenades.

http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/rpg43/

Otherwise the Russians stil used PTRD and PTRS 1941 AT rifles in 1945 ! That's all what I personnally know :?



I don´t think they got that many LL basoka rounds.

User avatar
David Lehmann
Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 01 Apr 2002 10:50
Location: France

Post by David Lehmann » 17 Jun 2003 17:48

Well the most used AT weapons in numbers were AT rifles (Simonov and Degtyarev), RPG-43 AT hand grenades, captured German PzF and PzS and then only LL Bazookas.

David

ChristopherPerrien
Member
Posts: 7023
Joined: 26 Dec 2002 00:58
Location: Mississippi

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Jun 2003 17:49

The Soviets prefered to go hand to hand with tanks with their infantry, they would use Molotovs to "smoke out" the crew of a tank and then kill them. Also they really liked to use magnectic AT mines. The Germans had so many losses, that they resorted to coating their tanks with "Zimmerit", a non-magnectic paste usually concrete to keep the Soviets from attaching their "sticky bombs".

User avatar
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff
Posts: 13461
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 14:07
Location: Denmark

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 17 Jun 2003 17:59

ChristopherPerrien wrote:The Soviets prefered to go hand to hand with tanks with their infantry, they would use Molotovs to "smoke out" the crew of a tank and then kill them. Also they really liked to use magnectic AT mines. The Germans had so many losses, that they resorted to coating their tanks with "Zimmerit", a non-magnectic paste usually concrete to keep the Soviets from attaching their "sticky bombs".


Zimmerit wasn't concrete, but consisted of:
    40% barium sulphate
    25% polyvinyl acetate
    15% ochre pigment
    10% saw dust
    10% zinc sulphide


Christian

User avatar
David Lehmann
Member
Posts: 2863
Joined: 01 Apr 2002 10:50
Location: France

Post by David Lehmann » 17 Jun 2003 18:03

Perhaps that Russians had so many tanks and 45, 57, 76 mm AT guns that they don't needed AT rocket launchers like the Germans and allied counterparts ?

David

User avatar
K.Kocjancic
Member
Posts: 6618
Joined: 27 Mar 2003 19:57
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Post by K.Kocjancic » 17 Jun 2003 18:35

How effective was Zimmerit?

User avatar
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff
Posts: 13461
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 14:07
Location: Denmark

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 17 Jun 2003 19:17

Kocjo wrote:How effective was Zimmerit?


Initially it was quite effective, but as the magnets on the mines got stronger the effect wasn't as good (depending on the thickness of the Zimmerit). The Zimmerit also helped stop reflections form the sun, and blurring the contour of the vehicle.

Since wheels weren't usually coated, and the fact that the Zimmerit got worn off rather quickly, there were still room to place the mines.

On September 9th 1944 it was ordered to stop applying Zimmerit, as it was suspected HE rounds could set it on fire. This theory was never proven during tests, but Zimmerit wasn't re-instated.

Christian

ChristopherPerrien
Member
Posts: 7023
Joined: 26 Dec 2002 00:58
Location: Mississippi

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Jun 2003 19:26

You are right Christian, I should have said sawdust with a "mortar mix" to hold it together. I sort of fumbled that answer there. However concrete was used as Add-on armour sometimes and I suppose it would have worked fairly well against keeping magnectic mines from sticking in those areas.

User avatar
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff
Posts: 13461
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 14:07
Location: Denmark

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 17 Jun 2003 19:36

ChristopherPerrien wrote:However concrete was used as Add-on armour sometimes and I suppose it would have worked fairly well against keeping magnectic mines from sticking in those areas.


That is, as long as it wasn't iron-reinforced :P

Christian

User avatar
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff
Posts: 11423
Joined: 11 Sep 2002 20:02
Location: Mylsä

Post by Juha Tompuri » 17 Jun 2003 19:49

Did the Russians (and USA&UK) have magnetic AT weapons?

Juha

ChristopherPerrien
Member
Posts: 7023
Joined: 26 Dec 2002 00:58
Location: Mississippi

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Jun 2003 19:54

I saw that one coming. :lol: The Russias/ Soviets had magnectic bombs, that is what we were talking about , I leave the rest to "Rebar the moderator."

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”