Peilstand Coronel Borkum on Rottumeroog?

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
TiesG

Peilstand Coronel Borkum on Rottumeroog?

Post by TiesG » 01 Dec 2020, 22:55

Hello,

I'm doing a lot of research on the island of Rottumeroog. I hope to publish the history in a book next year. I have a few pics of Rottumeroog that shows a building in the old beacon on this island. It isn't a Flugwache, while this was located a bit further on the island. To me it looks like a Peilstand, and since Rottumeroog is near Borkum it should be for Batterie Coronel.

A German map of Borkum shows the Peilstand 1 and Peilstand 3, but no Peilstand 2. This makes it even more logic for me that it might be the function of the building on Rottum. Location of the building at Rottum is approx. 9km. away from Batterie Coronel.

But... on Facebook I found a photo showing a Peilstand from Coronel on the inside. There is a sign that says Peilstand 2 Coronel and also Memmertbake. Sadly the picture isn't good enough to see if those two words belong together.

Any opinions on my findings are really appreciated!
Attachments
Peilstand.jpg
Peilstand.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
peilstand...jpg

moonraker

Re: Peilstand Coronel Borkum on Rottumeroog?

Post by moonraker » 02 Dec 2020, 13:22

hello,
I think the panel gives the distance to leave beobachtungstand ,from the observatory in peilstand coronnel X (km) from Memmertbake X(km).is logic for triangulating objectives.

Me belfra-team

ROLAND1369

Re: Peilstand Coronel Borkum on Rottumeroog?

Post by ROLAND1369 » 03 Dec 2020, 16:26

I would concur. These are what in the US Coast Artillery would be called Datum Points. These were a series of points painted on the concrete around the field of view of the observing station(Base End Station in US service). They represented a clearly viewable linear object either man-made, IE Light house or an artificial panel. These had been precisely surveyed by the engineers as to direction and range. They were used by pointing the azimuth instrument at the object and verifying the azimuth and range of the instrument to the recorded ones on the wall of the observing station. In case of a difference the azimuth instrument was then adjusted to conform to the wall data. If this is the case of the wall markings in the picture it would indicate that the picture is not the supposed tower 2 but one of the other tower using no 2 as a Data Point.
Attachments
datum piont ft cronkite.jpg
DATUM POINTS FT CRONKITE
datum piint wolf ridgeft cronkite.jpg
DATUM POINTS FT CRONKITE

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”